• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Mumford & sons, Rihanna and The Killers have been announced as the 2013 headliners.

It's not too exciting, but I think that all three deserve their spot.

Mumford & sons were always expected to make that step up after excelling within the king tuts tent, and of course for having a brilliant first album.

The Killers headlined in 2007 and 2009 and aren't the band they once were (in my opinion), but they are still big enough to headline. I have seen them too many times to be excited about them playing, but I will still go along and see them.

Rihanna will be a shock booking to some, but I don't think there is any solo artist that is bigger than her in the charts at the moment. She seems to be everywhere. I'm not a massive fan of her albums, but I will probably go and see her to see if she can deliver on a live stage. any time I have seen her sing live I have been disappointed. She can sing, but chooses to rely on a backing track too often. She can't get away with that at TITP, so it will be interesting to see what she does.

#2 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I don't think any band who only have two albums should be a headline act and also I don't agree with a pop act headlining what started off as a indie/rock festival.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#3 rumbaheed

rumbaheed

International

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

killers have helped a bit but otherwise its a teenage girls concert in a field . Very very poor for 20 th anniversary

#4 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

The Killers first album was great, second was good but I can't say I'm much of a fan of third and fourth ones.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#5 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

I don't think any band who only have two albums should be a headline act and also I don't agree with a pop act headlining what started off as a indie/rock festival.

I seen the arctic monkeys headline Glastonbury after two albums. technically they were booked after only one. I think it's ok, but only when a band is exceptional, or has caught the public's imagination. Mumford and Sons falls in the latter category.

You can't deny Rihanna is a big act. I'm sure the X Factor said she had sold 160 million records. that is impressive.

killers have helped a bit but otherwise its a teenage girls concert in a field . Very very poor for 20 th anniversary

You would think they would have went all out since it's the 20th anniversary. They may still do with their second top acts, which have historically been fairly good. They have had Glastonbury headliners in that slot some years.

The Killers first album was great, second was good but I can't say I'm much of a fan of third and fourth ones.

They tailed off after the first. A superb debut that they have never quite matched.

#6 Tam

Tam

Super Sub

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Actually abysmal headliners this year. Why Rihanna is there no one will ever know (money grabbing upstairs most likely), the Killers haven't been decent since I left school and M&S only have about a dozen songs anyone really knows.

Rockness is the place to be as ever, far less Weegie bams.

#7 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Actually abysmal headliners this year. Why Rihanna is there no one will ever know (money grabbing upstairs most likely), the Killers haven't been decent since I left school and M&S only have about a dozen songs anyone really knows.

Rockness is the place to be as ever, far less Weegie bams.

Welcome to the forum.

Rockness gets good reviews from my mates, but the bands just can't compare with TITP. Ok, they did have Daft Punk, but that was ages ago. Look at the TITP lineup and you often get 3 decent bands at the same time in the early evening. Look at Rockness and you often can't find one. I talk as a fan of guitar music, so I am biased.

#8 Tam

Tam

Super Sub

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Rockness gets good reviews from my mates, but the bands just can't compare with TITP. Ok, they did have Daft Punk, but that was ages ago. Look at the TITP lineup and you often get 3 decent bands at the same time in the early evening. Look at Rockness and you often can't find one. I talk as a fan of guitar music, so I am biased.

First of all, cheers.

I know where you're coming from but in recent years Rockness have started to manoeuvre in the guitar music direction whilst maintaining their dance music base. I'm also more of a fan of guitar music but Rockness is a far superior weekend.

TITP has been losing its edge for years, catering too much to the poppy crowd.

Plus they also had fatboy slim a few years back, which was unreal.

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

First of all, cheers.

I know where you're coming from but in recent years Rockness have started to manoeuvre in the guitar music direction whilst maintaining their dance music base. I'm also more of a fan of guitar music but Rockness is a far superior weekend.

TITP has been losing its edge for years, catering too much to the poppy crowd.

Plus they also had fatboy slim a few years back, which was unreal.

Fatboy Slim is superb live. I seen him in a secret gig at Glastonbury and he was wearing a tutu. He often plays secret gigs there.

#10 Tam

Tam

Super Sub

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Fatboy Slim is superb live. I seen him in a secret gig at Glastonbury and he was wearing a tutu. He often plays secret gigs there.

Probably the best act I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live. Except he played a tune featuring Iggy Pop and had images of him dancing on the big screen for about 10 minutes.

Surreal doesn't cover it.

#11 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Probably the best act I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live. Except he played a tune featuring Iggy Pop and had images of him dancing on the big screen for about 10 minutes.

Surreal doesn't cover it.

When he headlined Glastonbury's Other Stage, he was suspended in a window cleaners rig in front of a massive screen. He handed out 3d glasses, complete with smiley faces, to everyone. Apparently it cost him more than he made in fees. I wasnt there, but I seen the discarded glasses as I walked past the empty field towards the late night area.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: t in the park, titp, mumford & sons, rihanna, the killers, t20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users