Photo

The SFA with its head in the sand once more?

sfa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

http://www.scotsman....uling-1-2688983

Is it not about time some serious thought was given to a winter break?
Shit Creek

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

The spl have a winter break this year. There is two weeks off following the Edinburgh new year derby.

The SFL do not have a break. Bear in mind that the spl clubs all have undersoil heating and it is a head scratcher that one is and one isn't taking a break.

I can understand that the SFA want the tie settled as quick as possible.

#3 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

The spl have a winter break this year. There is two weeks off following the Edinburgh new year derby.

The SFL do not have a break. Bear in mind that the spl clubs all have undersoil heating and it is a head scratcher that one is and one isn't taking a break.

I can understand that the SFA want the tie settled as quick as possible.

would there be to much common sense needed to allow the sfl clubs that dont have undersoil or adequate ground covers to "rent" an spl ground where and when required? might keep a flow and momentum and stop congestion of fixtures.

#4 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Make the season March/April to October/November
Shit Creek

#5 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I've never liked the winter break. Apart from anything, the weather can often be worse in November and February than it is in December and January. You could end up having the break and missing out on decent playing time.

The idea of doing it as you say also doesn't really work for me. It gives an extra month without match revenue, something our clubs can scarcely afford, and means we end the season in the cold and potentially crap weather. It also totally puts our season out of sync with almost all European football calendars.The fact that every second year there will be a major tournament going on whilst our season is playing would also mean that not only would viewing figures and attendances be affected (not to mention the TV deal) but players would either have to leave for a month or two, or just wouldn't come to Scotland.

Edited by Laurie, 13 December 2012 - 10:44 AM.

I'll paint this place maroon!

Follow me on twitter @lauriedunsire https://twitter.com/...!/lauriedunsire

#6 dafcchris

dafcchris

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

This wouldn't be something that i would like for this reason I absolutely love there being football games on boxing day and the 2nd January, as for the winter breaks to be honest I have never been a fan of them.

We are Dunfermline this kingdom is ours!

#7 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

This wouldn't be something that i would like for this reason I absolutely love there being football games on boxing day and the 2nd January, as for the winter breaks to be honest I have never been a fan of them.

Yeah I love football over the festive period. Nothing quite like the New Year derby!

#8 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

would there be to much common sense needed to allow the sfl clubs that dont have undersoil or adequate ground covers to "rent" an spl ground where and when required? might keep a flow and momentum and stop congestion of fixtures.

I don't think that the SPL club's grass would handle it. It hasn't been so bad lately, but remember how bad Motherwell's pitch got.

I hear that Arbroath managed to get the game on last night, because they had bought a cover from the income of last season's game against Rangers. The figure I heard was £10,000 for the cover. Clubs would normally struggle to pay that in one go, so why doesn't the SFA buy them for the clubs, and they pay it back over five seasons, or thereabouts. I would think it would save the club money, because they arent postponing games, which I assume still incurs the cost of staff for that day. It would obviously please the fans, who could be more confident of a game going ahead. I'm sure there are cases when the cover still doesnt stop the ground from freezing, but from what I have heard, you get more games with it, rather than without.

Yeah I love football over the festive period. Nothing quite like the New Year derby!

Or the 3rd of January derby ;)

#9 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Or the 3rd of January derby ;)

Yeah it's not quite the same when they move it to stupid days like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users