• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Finally gave into temptation and got the new Football Manager, which arrived today.

How's everyone else getting on with the new game?

Looking forward to taking on my favourite challenge of Montrose, even more so now with Rangers in the 3rd Division!

395494_4770614536070_2034581508_n.jpg

I'll paint this place maroon!

Follow me on twitter @lauriedunsire https://twitter.com/...!/lauriedunsire

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm almost half way through a season with Rangers. The league is simple enough, but the cups haven't been. I'm playing classic mode, which seems detailed enough for me.

#3 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'm almost half way through a season with Rangers. The league is simple enough, but the cups haven't been. I'm playing classic mode, which seems detailed enough for me.

What's the difference? I never liked the idea of ANY reduction in detail or features. I love working on training regimes, individual player instructions and set piece routines etc. 

#4 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

What's the difference? I never liked the idea of ANY reduction in detail or features. I love working on training regimes, individual player instructions and set piece routines etc. 

It's difficult to accurately say what the difference is, because I have not tried the full version of the latest game. Training regimes are for the entire team, rather than individuals. It is definitely not a kiddy version of the game, which I was worried about.

#5 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's difficult to accurately say what the difference is, because I have not tried the full version of the latest game. Training regimes are for the entire team, rather than individuals. It is definitely not a kiddy version of the game, which I was worried about.

Me thinks I'll stick to the full thing ;)

#6 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Me thinks I'll stick to the full thing wink.png

boo icon_thumbdown.gif

#7 bripod

bripod

Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Finally gave into temptation and got the new Football Manager, which arrived today.

Looking forward to taking on my favourite challenge of Montrose, even more so now with Rangers in the 3rd Division!

Got this yesterday with my new laptop.

I always need to pimp it out with stadium backgrounds etc before I start playing though so not got fired into it yet.

I invariably go the Dons as my first game.
#lovingarmageddon

#8 Lemmystash

Lemmystash

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I started my game as Scotland, realised that Levien had a harder task on his hands than we all gave him credit for. Then had the maddest 2 and a half years in all the time i've been playing FM. Took over Wolves in the championship mid december, got promoted in 2nd place, finished 2nd in my first season up, the next season i finish 3rd and get to the champions league final, just to get beat by Barca. Crackers. Bought Steven Fletcher twice for a combined 35 million in the time i was there.

I love FM.

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I started my game as Scotland, realised that Levien had a harder task on his hands than we all gave him credit for. Then had the maddest 2 and a half years in all the time i've been playing FM. Took over Wolves in the championship mid december, got promoted in 2nd place, finished 2nd in my first season up, the next season i finish 3rd and get to the champions league final, just to get beat by Barca. Crackers. Bought Steven Fletcher twice for a combined 35 million in the time i was there.

I love FM.

you must be good at the game. I used to be good, but I am absolutely rubbish now.

#10 Lemmystash

Lemmystash

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Not that good man. I've played it alot but that was mental. Got through the quarter and semis of the CL on away goals. Only went Wolves because i fancied a long term building challenge. 2 saesons after that finalwe didn't even make Europe and i resigned in shame. Came runner up in every comp in England except the Capitol One cup, and no-one cares about the Capitol One cup.

#11 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'm pretty good at building teams for the long term. I started with York and got them promoted to the championship in 3 seasons, but realized that they didn't have the fanbase to take them to the premier league. It is possible to build a good fanbase, but it takes about 10 seasons and I didn't feel like doing that. I resigned halfway through my forth season after I was forced to sell my best striker. Found it a bit tricky finding another job, but when Coventery job came up after the got relegated to league two I took them on and I am currently on course for promotion. I'm given myself 5 seasons to challenge for the premier league.

#12 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I'm pretty good at building teams for the long term. I started with York and got them promoted to the championship in 3 seasons, but realized that they didn't have the fanbase to take them to the premier league. It is possible to build a good fanbase, but it takes about 10 seasons and I didn't feel like doing that. I resigned halfway through my forth season after I was forced to sell my best striker. Found it a bit tricky finding another job, but when Coventery job came up after the got relegated to league two I took them on and I am currently on course for promotion. I'm given myself 5 seasons to challenge for the premier league.

I wish I had the time for the long game nowadays. I love taking a youth player and seeing him retire as a one team player.

#13 pandamonk

pandamonk

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

395494_4770614536070_2034581508_n.jpg

I'm thoroughly addicted, having just completed my third season with Ayr United in full mode. First season I just missed out on promotion in the play-offs. Second season I came second to Rangers and was promoted through the play-offs. I just completed my third season today coming 3th behind Rangers and Dundee in the first division. Not bad considering my objective was to avoid relegation :) Aiming for the SPL next season.

#14 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Been playing my Montrose game quite a bit and it's now starting to bear fruit.

I always like to implement a slow tempo, possession football style and build for the future. I found the Third Division difficult to tackle in this version, with very few transfer or even loan targets willing to join Montrose. After finding myself struggling mid season the first campaign I realised I'd have to build from the bottom up, so I started blooding promising youngsters, some just 16 years old. 

First two seasons the team was inconsistent, finishing 5th and then 7th. But season 3 I awarded the armband to my 18 year old centre back and the young lads started to kick on. I won the 3rd Division, and promotion, and this year, season 4, I won my second consecutive title and promotion, with the exact same starting 11 from the year before. My team has barely changed in 3 seasons and the young lads are now attracting a lot of interest. 

My board actually think I'm TOO prudent, my wage bill has only risen to around £1,500 p/w for the entire team, less than half what I've been allocated. 

Anyway, First Division time soon - BIG step up. I imagine I'll have to consolidate for at least one season.

#15 jimmy gomis

jimmy gomis

United til I die.

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Been playing my Montrose game quite a bit and it's now starting to bear fruit.

I always like to implement a slow tempo, possession football style and build for the future. I found the Third Division difficult to tackle in this version, with very few transfer or even loan targets willing to join Montrose. After finding myself struggling mid season the first campaign I realised I'd have to build from the bottom up, so I started blooding promising youngsters, some just 16 years old. 

First two seasons the team was inconsistent, finishing 5th and then 7th. But season 3 I awarded the armband to my 18 year old centre back and the young lads started to kick on. I won the 3rd Division, and promotion, and this year, season 4, I won my second consecutive title and promotion, with the exact same starting 11 from the year before. My team has barely changed in 3 seasons and the young lads are now attracting a lot of interest. 

My board actually think I'm TOO prudent, my wage bill has only risen to around £1,500 p/w for the entire team, less than half what I've been allocated. 

Anyway, First Division time soon - BIG step up. I imagine I'll have to consolidate for at least one season.

Do you play the full 3d match mode? I do, as I need to see exactly how my players are doing on the pitch, rather than just some text telling me random facts about the game.  I also need to see what I can change to turn a game around if I am doing badly.

Edited by jimmy gomis, 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#16 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Do you play the full 3d match mode? I do, as I need to see exactly how my players are doing on the pitch, rather than just some text telling me random facts about the game.  I also need to see what I can change to turn a game around if I am doing badly.

Yeah I watch the full 3D match, as you say it's pretty important. But I'm very focused on the way I want my teams to play, so often, especially in lower Scottish leagues, it will take a bit of time for players to be able to play that way. For instance I like to have one ball playing centre back and I then instruct my keeper to always allow him to take the ball from him and build from the back - it's not always the safest approach on a crappy Scottish pitch in Winter with 3rd Division players....

#17 jimmy gomis

jimmy gomis

United til I die.

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yeah I watch the full 3D match, as you say it's pretty important. But I'm very focused on the way I want my teams to play, so often, especially in lower Scottish leagues, it will take a bit of time for players to be able to play that way. For instance I like to have one ball playing centre back and I then instruct my keeper to always allow him to take the ball from him and build from the back - it's not always the safest approach on a crappy Scottish pitch in Winter with 3rd Division players....

I've got the Binos playing some good stuff, and I've made no signings whatsoever.  Just a couple of youths for the future.  I've found it's all about having 1 good midfielder with good creativity and decision making and a striker with good off the ball, anticipation and pace.  I play the retain possession game with the "control" philosophy - which prods the ball about in midfield until the time is right, then my midfield maestro - Mark Ferry, lol - always finds the killer pass through the shit 3rd div defences and creates loads of chances.  When I don't have the ball, I play the hassle opponents and get stuck in tactics  - it gets the ball back pretty quickly because the opposition don't have good composure and shit themselves and normally give the ball away.  It's working so far anyway! 5 points behind the Gers coming up to Christmas in first season.

If Ferry gets injured though, I'm fckd.  I do have an out ball in my winger Josh Flood, but he only gets utilised if I'm chasing games and have to get ball into space quickly.  I drew 2-2 with the Gers a couple of games back - and they had been humping everyone, so it was a great result.

#18 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I've got the Binos playing some good stuff, and I've made no signings whatsoever.  Just a couple of youths for the future.  I've found it's all about having 1 good midfielder with good creativity and decision making and a striker with good off the ball, anticipation and pace.  I play the retain possession game with the "control" philosophy - which prods the ball about in midfield until the time is right, then my midfield maestro - Mark Ferry, lol - always finds the killer pass through the shit 3rd div defences and creates loads of chances.  When I don't have the ball, I play the hassle opponents and get stuck in tactics  - it gets the ball back pretty quickly because the opposition don't have good composure and shit themselves and normally give the ball away.  It's working so far anyway! 5 points behind the Gers coming up to Christmas in first season.

If Ferry gets injured though, I'm fckd.  I do have an out ball in my winger Josh Flood, but he only gets utilised if I'm chasing games and have to get ball into space quickly.  I drew 2-2 with the Gers a couple of games back - and they had been humping everyone, so it was a great result.

Bizarrely I almost managed 3 consecutive promotions, with the same starting 11. Won the Third, then Second and was leading the First but fell away in the final weeks and finished 3rd. Looking to bring a couple of new faces in for the new season to try and reach the SPL, but the board have started expanding the stadium and restricted my budget so it's going to be hard to bring anyone with much pedigree in.

I use control as well, slow tempo with a ball playing defender and an attacking playmaker beside a ball winner in the middle. Ricky McIntosh has been my main man in midfield since day one.

#19 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,445 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Out of interest Laurie, have Rangers climbed the divisions in your game?

#20 Laurie

Laurie

Resident Tart

• Members
  • 9,795 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Out of interest Laurie, have Rangers climbed the divisions in your game?

Yeah, straight up each season. I did manage to get a shock win at Ibrox in my first game with them, during a pretty poor run I was on as well. 

They won each division and then finished 2nd both seasons back in the SPL so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fm, football manager, goodbye life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users