• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 RayB1888

RayB1888

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Should something be done and plans put in place to change our National Stadium?

It has an awful atmosphere and no one enjoys the experience of playing there.  Its not intimidating and its a pretty poor excuse for a national stadium.  The pitch is also a disgrace.

I would like all stansd knocked down apart from the Main stand and new stands built closer to the pitch.  

Christ knows how they can afford to do it but id rather we played infront of a Pittodrie full house than Hampden.  As for Cup finals i'd use Murrayfield. 

125 years unbroken history  European Cup Winners  43 League titles (All titles won fair)

#2 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've been at Hampden for Scotland games when they have been a sell out and the atmosphere has been superb.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I really dislike going there and that shouldnt be the case. Rebuilding entire stands might be too costly. How about lowering the pitch and then adding extra rows of seats to bring the fans closer to the pitch. Those seats at the back will be a little further away from the pitch, but it wont be too much different to the way it is now.

#4 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 70,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Should something be done and plans put in place to change our National Stadium?

It has an awful atmosphere and no one enjoys the experience of playing there.  Its not intimidating and its a pretty poor excuse for a national stadium.  The pitch is also a disgrace.

I would like all stansd knocked down apart from the Main stand and new stands built closer to the pitch.  

Christ knows how they can afford to do it but id rather we played infront of a Pittodrie full house than Hampden.  As for Cup finals i'd use Murrayfield. 

That's a bit of a presumption is it not Ray...'No One'?...I'm knocking yer opinion and ye can make good posts but ye have a tendency to put yer foot in it mate....I know Neil Lennon said he didn't enjoy playing there & perhaps that's what yer basing that part of yer post on, I dunno, but I've no doubt other players may feel the same but I cannot recall anyone else saying that. Irrespective mate, No one is the wrong choice as there are numerous players from 'smaller' teams who would love the experience & I have heard that being said manys a time.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#5 RayB1888

RayB1888

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

That's a bit of a presumption is it not Ray...'No One'?...I'm knocking yer opinion and ye can make good posts but ye have a tendency to put yer foot in it mate....I know Neil Lennon said he didn't enjoy playing there & perhaps that's what yer basing that part of yer post on, I dunno, but I've no doubt other players may feel the same but I cannot recall anyone else saying that. Irrespective mate, No one is the wrong choice as there are numerous players from 'smaller' teams who would love the experience & I have heard that being said manys a time.

fair enough, change 'no one' to a 'helluva lot'

125 years unbroken history  European Cup Winners  43 League titles (All titles won fair)

#6 RayB1888

RayB1888

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

.I know Neil Lennon said he didn't enjoy playing there & perhaps that's what yer basing that part of yer post on

honestly it isnt, i've thought its pish for years and thought i'd create this post as heard someone talking about it on ssb the other night

#7 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Celtic don't like playing there under Lennon as they get beat more than they win at Hampden in recent years.

• JHR likes this

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#8 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hampden - atmosphere ?......1973 Centenary Cup Final.....130,000 plus......Now that is what it is about......Memoreeeeeeeez......

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hampden - atmosphere ?......1973 Centenary Cup Final.....130,000 plus......Now that is what it is about......Memoreeeeeeeez......

Back in the day it looked and sounded like a brilliant stadium. It went downhill when it was done up

#10 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Scotland v Holland or France in recent times ranks up there with the best atmosphere I've ever experienced

I don't like the layout of the stadium though or the transport facilities to and from the ground...........that's my biggest gripe.

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#11 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Scotland v Holland or France in recent times ranks up there with the best atmosphere I've ever experienced

I don't like the layout of the stadium though or the transport facilities to and from the ground...........that's my biggest gripe.

I'd have thought it wiz finding that there wiz only a dribble left in yer only bottle on a Friday evening mate.....tongue.png

#12 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I'd have thought it wiz finding that there wiz only a dribble left in yer only bottle on a Friday evening mate.....tongue.png

Fitba related Dug ;)

#13 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

When I was on the tour they were bumming about the underground car park, which allowed the team buses direct access to the changing rooms.

#14 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Really shouldn't brag about bumming and car parks Craig.

Anyway...

I'd scrap it and use Murrayfield. Bigger and better at pretty much everything. If you must keep it in Glasgow, use Celtic Park for the same reasons. Ibrox is smaller but miles better as well.

I had said earlier in the week that we should do what other countries do and take the national team on tour round the country, but to be honest after last night's tattie field I wouldn't bother.

#15 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,432 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Have always loved going to Hampden despite the fact that getting there can sometimes be a mission.

In terms of easy access, I'd say Ibrox is probably best.

Access to Parkhead also used to be difficult. Has it gotten any easier in recent times? 

Shit Creek

#16 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Have always loved going to Hampden despite the fact that getting there can sometimes be a mission.

Access to Parkhead also used to be difficult. Has it gotten any easier in recent times? 

Well, it has two train stations nearby and plenty of buses too. 

#17 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I cant see the SFA making Ibrox or Celtic park their permanent location. There would be outcry, and boycotts, from too many about why they picked one or the other. 

#18 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

I cant see the SFA making Ibrox or Celtic park their permanent location. There would be outcry, and boycotts, from too many about why they picked one or the other. 

Neither can I. Queens Park are our oldest club and Hampden has always been our 'home'. The stadium has many faults but that could be said of many grounds. 

Funnily, if Queens Park had been a big SPL team I think plenty of people would be up for moving but because they are now a wee club, no-one bothers

#19 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well you can't access one of the two Ibrox junctions from the M8 like you used to, but in return there is now a motorway to the south of Celtic Park as well as the north, as well as a new road that runs you to the car park. That new road extends south and pretty much takes you to Hampden too. So I'd say in terms of driving it's now easier to get to Celtic Park than it is to get to the other two, but really they're all pretty good now. You just can't park at Hampden!

Obviously Ibrox has a the Underground which the other two don't, but there's four train stations all pretty close to Celtic Park (Belgrove, Dalmarnock, Duke St, Bridgeton - though give those last two a miss if you're a home supporter), while Mount Florida, Kings Park and Cathcart are all handy for Hampden.  Not sure there's much in the way of regular train stations for Ibrox.

#20 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well you can't access one of the two Ibrox junctions from the M8 like you used to, but in return there is now a motorway to the south of Celtic Park as well as the north, as well as a new road that runs you to the car park. That new road extends south and pretty much takes you to Hampden too. So I'd say in terms of driving it's now easier to get to Celtic Park than it is to get to the other two, but really they're all pretty good now. You just can't park at Hampden!

Obviously Ibrox has a the Underground which the other two don't, but there's four train stations all pretty close to Celtic Park (Belgrove, Dalmarnock, Duke St, Bridgeton - though give those last two a miss if you're a home supporter), while Mount Florida, Kings Park and Cathcart are all handy for Hampden. Not sure there's much in the way of regular train stations for Ibrox.
I don't really know the area around ibrox, because I always arrive from the same place. The subway is definitely closest "train" station, but don't know of any real ones nearby.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hampden, sfa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users