• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

The PS4 is due to be announced today. It is likely that it wont be released in this country this year, but it will still be interesting to see what Sony have in store. 

There is speculation that the PS3's price will also be reduced today.

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Its announced at 11pm our time, so I might be in my bed

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

A lot of features were rumoured long before the announcement. The move to a traditional PC CPU might be unexciting, but it has the potential to reduce development costs, because developers now work on two very similar platforms for the Xbox and ps4.

#4 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Won't play PS3 games. That's pretty naff.

#5 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Won't play PS3 games. That's pretty naff.

That's not 100% confirmed at the moment. It hasn't got hardware backwards compatibility, but that doesnt mean they wont include software emulation. 

#6 rumbaheed

rumbaheed

International

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hope Gta v comes out on ps3 first

#7 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hope Gta v comes out on ps3 first

I think it will. They are too far down the development path to switch platforms.

#8 jimmy gomis

jimmy gomis

United til I die.

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

That's not 100% confirmed at the moment. It hasn't got hardware backwards compatibility, but that doesnt mean they wont include software emulation. 

I hope so, as it would sh@ite otherwise.  Also, I agree that GTA will prob be out for PS3 long before  the PS4 UK launch - far too much dev gone into it already.

#9 Gusmeister

Gusmeister

Football Legend

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

It will be.  The current ps3 user base will far exceed the ps4 for a good while even after it's release.  

They'll maybe hope to take your money twice right enough with a ps4 version down the line.  No doubt with some exclusive content.

#10 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I hope so, as it would sh@ite otherwise.  Also, I agree that GTA will prob be out for PS3 long before  the PS4 UK launch - far too much dev gone into it already.

I remember the PS2 backwards compatibility being very flaky when I tried it. I have a launch day PS3, which has the chip to emulate it, but it was never as good as playing on a proper PS2. 

#11 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I just read that the dualshock 3 controllers wont be compatible with the PS4. That is a very poor show. I know they dont have the inbuilt speaker, or the touchpad, but I thought they would still work.

#12 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is an opportunity to rape the consumer. The public have been waiting on the next gen consoles arriving and will gladly sacrifice their old kit for a new bit of kit IF it impresses. Yet to be seen though.....

Had heard the new XBox was gonna stop people using second hand games. If they attempt that, the console will bomb

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#13 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,407 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Not sure I will buy it or the the next XBox. I haven't touched a console in months, pretty happy with my PC at the moment, but I hardly play games anymore, certainly not as much as I used to. I just play the odd MMO and Football manager games But in saying that I'm looking forward to Europa Universalis 4. Just getting to old for games. :(

#14 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Not sure I will buy it or the the next XBox. I haven't touched a console in months, pretty happy with my PC at the moment, but I hardly play games anymore, certainly not as much as I used to. I just play the odd MMO and Football manager games But in saying that I'm looking forward to Europa Universalis 4. Just getting to old for games. :(

TBH I'm much the same, although I DID play F1 2012 a lot when I had the wheel set up. My lassie is in the spare room now so I don't have the room :(

Looking forward to GTA coming out. Hopefully it will get me back into gaming. Getting sick of the COD series and alien shootem ups.

I really miss the side scrolling games like Salamander (old arcade classic) and platform games

#15 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

TBH I'm much the same, although I DID play F1 2012 a lot when I had the wheel set up. My lassie is in the spare room now so I don't have the room :(

Looking forward to GTA coming out. Hopefully it will get me back into gaming. Getting sick of the COD series and alien shootem ups.

I really miss the side scrolling games like Salamander (old arcade classic) and platform games

the older games you mentioned relied on game play only. That was one of the reasons they were so good.

#16 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Very true Craig. Often the graphics were quite poor but you still got addicted to them. Super Mario is a perfect example. Remember playing it on a Gameboy years ago 

#17 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,386 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Very true Craig. Often the graphics were quite poor but you still got addicted to them. Super Mario is a perfect example. Remember playing it on a Gameboy years ago

I played the new for hours on the wii. The 3d ones were good, but I'm glad they went back to the side scrolling view.

Mobile gaming is back to focusing on gameplay, which is good.

#18 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Once the made platformers 3D I lost interest. They were too glitchy. Rayman was an old favourite but they ruined it going 3D

#19 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,315 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

The x-box and Sony franchise are out to squeeze as much as they can out of the consumer, silly wireless pads without the wire to recharge them is one example.
I exclusively play on the PC and ATM can't see me changing anytime soon, consoles have held gaming back 10 fold for the past 5 years. These machines are running on software and graphic engines that are vastly inferior to what is out there on PC ATM.

This is part of the reason game developers bring you piss poor products such as the COD series, these games are limited and are mainly developed for the consoles.....which means a poorer product, hopefully with the new consoles we will see decent games reaching there potential.

#20 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

The problem with PC gaming is that there are just way too many feckin control keys to try and remember......it's a nightmare

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ps4, sony, playstation, ps3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users