• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Is the only way to connect to Xbox live to buy a wireless network adapter? My Ethernet cable will not stretch from 360 to router.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#2 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

you can get special plugs that use the electricity cables of your house as a means of data transfer. However, this method slows the dataflow due to electrical interference. Besides, you can get fairly long ethernet cables.

#3 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't really want to stretch a long cable from upstairs to downstairs where the router is.

#4 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Muppet Police

• 29,865 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Is the only way to connect to Xbox live to buy a wireless network adapter? My Ethernet cable will not stretch from 360 to router.

A wireless router will connect to Xbox live on the 360, not sure what a network adapter is.
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#5 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,312 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well, you can use the electricity sockets or move the router upstairs or use a repeater or simply get a wifi adapter. Is the wifi adapter socket a USB socket?

#6 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

There is a socket on the side of 360 which I'm not sure what it's for. At the back though there is a USB port and one for Ethernet cable.

#7 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

A wireless router will connect to Xbox live on the 360, not sure what a network adapter is.

My mate says it must be one of the old 360s

#8 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Muppet Police

• 29,865 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

My mate says it must be one of the old 360s

Don't know, mine is around two years old, it automatically connects to the wireless router, no attachments needed.
Posted Image

#9 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

is it the same as the Atari?

#10 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members
  • 16,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

is it the same as the Atari?

Almost, the cartridges are a wee bit different

Paul Scholes, He Scores Goals

#11 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Almost, the cartridges are a wee bit different

ah right...coz i have some in the loft i'm sure...lol

#12 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members
  • 16,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Atari was the mutts nuts

Paul Scholes, He Scores Goals

#13 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,312 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

If it's a USB socket then you don't have to shell out loads of cash to get a microsoft xbox wifi adapter. You can get a fairly cheap usb wifi adapter. If you use the internet without a wifi router, then you are kinda screwed and living in the wrong decade.

#14 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

If it's a USB socket then you don't have to shell out loads of cash to get a microsoft xbox wifi adapter. You can get a fairly cheap usb wifi adapter. If you use the internet without a wifi router, then you are kinda screwed and living in the wrong decade.

Thanks. I'll have a look for a USB wifi adapter then.

#15 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Muppet Police

• 29,865 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

Are the USB ports not for steering wheels and the like, to play the games, how will you install the adapter?

I'm pretty sure it can connect to a wireless router itself jaybe, if my one can and newer ones cant then its a backwards step by Xbox.
Posted Image

#16 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Are the USB ports not for steering wheels and the like, to play the games, how will you install the adapter?
I'm pretty sure it can connect to a wireless router itself jaybe, if my one can and newer ones cant then its a backwards step by Xbox.

The 360 we have is one of earlier ones which supposedly require some kind of adapter to connect wirelessly.

#17 Gusmeister

Gusmeister

Football Legend

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

The 360 we have is one of earlier ones which supposedly require some kind of adapter to connect wirelessly.

Old 360's do Jay, mine does.  It's the official one I use but like mentioned above, maybe any wireless dongle will work.

#18 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Old 360's do Jay, mine does. It's the official one I use but like mentioned above, maybe any wireless dongle will work.

I looked at official one but was £50 +

Cheers for confirming though what my mate had said.

#19 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well, you can use the electricity sockets or move the router upstairs or use a repeater or simply get a wifi adapter. Is the wifi adapter socket a USB socket?

I've got a home plug and I highly recommend it. It is slower than a direct cable, but not slow enough to bother most people or hamper most uses. I have fibre and if I connect my PC to my router via a home plug I get a download speed of maybe 28Mbps. If I connect via a direct cable, which I do now, I get mid 30Mbps.

As a short term solution, you can get massive Ethernet cables from eBay for less than a tenner. A tenner would do massive houses like Dug's, but normal people would only need to spend a fiver.

#20 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

I've got a home plug and I highly recommend it. It is slower than a direct cable, but not slow enough to bother most people or hamper most uses. I have fibre and if I connect my PC to my router via a home plug I get a download speed of maybe 28Mbps. If I connect via a direct cable, which I do now, I get mid 30Mbps.

As a short term solution, you can get massive Ethernet cables from eBay for less than a tenner. A tenner would do massive houses like Dug's, but normal people would only need to spend a fiver.

My homeplug had a 4 port switch built in, so until I got fibre it connected to my ps3, sky, freeview and raspberry pi. I wouldn't focus on getting one with an inbuilt switch, unless you have an immediate need for the additional ports, because they are not very common. You can always buy a standalone switch at a later date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users