Photo
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Never mind the big kick off in what is ultimately a rebranded SFL, the real excitement for me this weekend is the start of the new Scottish Lowland League.

We've been crying out for a pyramid system to be setup in this country for years but finally it's starting to be put in place. While SPFL League Two will stil be a closed shop this season, we'll hopefully see playoffs in place for the end of 2014/15.

The 12 team Lowland League has been setup on a par with the established 18 team Highland League. The winners of both will playoff at the end of the 2014/15 season and the winner of that should then face the bottom team in League Two with the winner taking the League Two spot for season 2015/16.

The twelve teams come from other leagues already established. Nine from the East of Scotland, two from the South of Scotland, and one from the Amateurs. There's rumours the 12 may become 16 next season so if it's successful we may see four more teams added. But for now, today's opening fixtures are as follows:

Edinburgh City v Spartans
Preston Athletic v Dalbeattie Star
Selkirk v Threave Rovers
University of Stirling v East Kilbride
Vale of Leithen v Gretna 2008
Whitehill Welfare v Gala Fairydean Rovers

And if you want to keep up to date with how it progresses, they're on twitter @ScottishLowlndLeagu (yes, too long a name to fit!) and their web site is http://www.slfl.co.uk

Good luck to all twelve. I hope this is the beginning of a bright new future for our setup.

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,367 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I was disappointed that I struggled to find match information on Stirling Uni. 

#3 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

• 6,474 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not half as disappointing as the lack of coverage on the BBC web site. Mind you, their Highland League table is currently a week old, and the Premiership results still say Thistle won 4-1 so maybe I'm expecting too much from them.

#4 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

• 6,474 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Done a bit of digging on the pyramid after a conversation on the podcast last night, and as far as I can see everything is set for it to operate from 2014/15 onwards.

Page 29 of the SPFL rule book - http://spfl.co.uk/do..._1396269263.pdf - says...

Pyramid Play-Off Competition
The Club occupying position 42 in the League at the end of Season 2014/2015 and in each Season thereafter will take part in a Pyramid Play–Off Competition against a Candidate Club identified by the Scottish FA from and by means of a national competition approved by the Board between clubs which are not members of the League. The winning Club in a Pyramid Play-Off Competition will be the Club to score the greatest number of goals over the two matches in a tie. In the event that the aggregate scores are equal after the second leg of the tie extra-time of 30 minutes (i.e. 15 minutes each way) will take place and thereafter if necessary kicks from the penalty mark will be taken in accordance with the rules laid down by the International Football Association Board which will determine the winner. The Club playing in the tie will play the second leg at Home. The winner of the tie provided for in this Rule C33 will be entitled to be a member of and play in League Two during the immediately succeeding Season. All matches in a Pyramid Play-Off Competition will take place on dates and at times determined by the Board. The Board shall be entitled to vary the format of the Pyramid Play-Off Competition if it considers it appropriate so to do.

The Highland League web site - http://www.highlandf...s_the_SHFL.aspx - has the details of who the SFA Candidate Club would be.

Pyramid Play-Off Competition

a. League Champions of SHFL and SLFL compete home and away on agreed dates, organised by the SFA Home team in first match to be decided by a SFA supervised draw

b. Winner plays “Club 42” from SPFL, home and away, organised by SPFL at a date and time determined by the SPFL Board, with Club 42 having home advantage in second leg

c. Winner of this tie will become a member of SPFL and play in SPFL League 2

d. If Club 42 loses tie, they will be relegated to SHFL if ground is north of Latitude 56,4513N

e. The winning club in play off competitions will be the club which scores the most goals over two legs. If aggregate scores are equal after second tie, extra time of 15 minutes each way will be played and thereafter penalty kicks to determine the winner

f. If either the SHFL or SLFL Champion Club does not meet with SPFL membership criteria, and no waiver is granted by the SPFL Board, no play off will take place. The other Champion Club meeting the criteria will play Club 42 as per b above

g. If neither Champion club complies with any part of the membership criteria as determined by the SPFL Board, there will be no play off competition and Club 42 will retain their place in SPFL League 2

All sounds good to me!

Also, as I said on the podcast last night, the Lowland League expanded to 14 teams for this season. Edinburgh Uni and BSC Glasgow being the two new teams.

Edited by Psychoheart, 05 August 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#5 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,367 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the investigation. Its all went quiet in the media regarding what is a very important change to Scottish football.

#6 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Came to read about Egyptian Pyramids, left disappointed.  :thumbdown: 

#7 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

Veteran

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

CELTIC MUST HAVE A SORE BUM SITTING ON TOP OF THE PYRAMID SO OFTEN AND FOR SO LONG!

#8 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

Edinburgh City have become first team to be promoted through the pyramid system.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lowland league, edinburgh city, spartans, preston athletic, dalbeattie star, selkirk, threave rovers, vale of leithen, gretna, whitehill welfare, gala fairydean rovers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users