• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

UEFA contacted football associations to recommend that the transfer deadline was extended to Monday. The SFA have rejected that and their window will close on Saturday. We will now be out of sync with major European nations.

Is it a coincidence that Rangers' ban ends on Sunday? I think it has a bearing on their decision. Whether its a vendetta against Rangers, or to avoid accusations of favouritism, I just don't know.

#2 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 39,741 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

dont think its a " vendetta" mate , i dont think it should be changed either, why now? when its nearly shut?

rangers dont need anyone to win that league

Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

dont think its a " vendetta" mate , i dont think it should be changed either, why now? when its nearly shut?

rangers dont need anyone to win that league

UEFA recommend it. You certainly don't want to piss them off.

I don't think its a vendetta myself, but I do think they have made the decision based on Rangers transfer ban. no single club should receive special treatment.

I don't think rangers would have signed anyone anyway, but that's not the point.

#4 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

I reckon the SFA backed themselves into a corner with the transfer ban. They announced it ended September 1st 2013 last year. The minute they did that they were bombarded with people telling them that the window would get moved to the monday and they did tweet last summer than the window would close on the Saturday as that was a normal working day.

Then along come Uefa at some point this year suggesting everyone should stay open until the Monday. The SFA were then stuck. If they moved it they could blame Uefa but the transfer ban would have a hole in it - and it's farcical enough already with the unsigned players registering next week and the fact it didn't start last summer anyway - and if they didn't move it they've be causing issues for other teams.

See if they'd just put the ban in place for "two transfer windows" they could have saved themselves a whole lot of grief.

#5 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Think they gave Hearts that 2 transfer window ban!

#6 Arthur Stramash

Arthur Stramash

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

UEFA contacted football associations to recommend that the transfer deadline was extended to Monday. The SFA have rejected that and their window will close on Saturday. We will now be out of sync with major European nations.
Is it a coincidence that Rangers' ban ends on Sunday? I think it has a bearing on their decision. Whether its a vendetta against Rangers, or to avoid accusations of favouritism, I just don't know.

Looks like a non-story. Ibrox has already replaced the entire team, well almost. The trialist nonsense has allowed this. Not much of a transfer ban really. And where is the money coming from to even finance more players? Will they not walk the league with their new squad anyway?

Mucho grumbling.

#7 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

It might save them from administration not geting to sign anyone ;-)

#8 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Looks like a non-story. Ibrox has already replaced the entire team, well almost. The trialist nonsense has allowed this. Not much of a transfer ban really. And where is the money coming from to even finance more players? Will they not walk the league with their new squad anyway?

Mucho grumbling.

Trialists have been used for years. You might have always thought it was nonsense, but I find it interesting that some have only just started complaining about it this season.

I don't have facts to back it up, but releasing Alexander would have financed at least three new players.

I don't think Rangers would have bought anyone, but that's not the point. It seems to me that a decision has been made due to how it would affect a single club.

If we ignore Rangers for a moment. What benefits does ending the window earlier than the rest of Europe bring? What negatives does it bring?

#9 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Craig, you're going on like this could be to Rangers detriment but what about the rest of the teams in Scotland. It could be argued that they are being punished for something that is not their doing, every other team in Europe have will two extra days to strengthen their squads over the rest of us. Is it Rangers that are being punished or the other 40 odd clubs.

When all’s said and done it’s only a game.

#10 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Craig, you're going on like this could be to Rangers detriment but what about the rest of the teams in Scotland. It could be argued that they are being punished for something that is not their doing, every other team in Europe have will two extra days to strengthen their squads over the rest of us. Is it Rangers that are being punished or the other 40 odd clubs.

I agree completely. We are thinking along the same lines.

There are many losers in this, with Rangers probably one of the few who aren't affected( I can't see them buying anyone even if they could). My issue is that a decision has been made based on how it might affect a single club, rather than how it affects 42 clubs. That is wrong in my eyes.

#11 Arthur Stramash

Arthur Stramash

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Trialists have been used for years. You might have always thought it was nonsense, but I find it interesting that some have only just started complaining about it this season ...

Yes, but not all other teams using trialists as genuine trialists in the past were doing it to circumvent a transfer ban. Far from punishing Ibrox, the SFA have actually been pretty helpful.

On the other hand, since The Rangers are a new club anno 2012, I believe the whole carrying over of the transfer ban was unjustified. That's the real injustice ;)

#12 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

It might save them from administration not geting to sign anyone ;-)

Yep it's a conspiracy to save The Rangers and stop McCoist spending money he doesn't have to increase the wage bill to win the second division ((I know it has a new name too ;-)) and Ramsden Cup, when he already has the second biggest wage bill in Scottish Football....... ;-)

Edited by Goanjock, 30 August 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#13 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yep it's a conspiracy to save The Rangers and stop McCoist spending money he doesn't have to increase the wage bill to win the second division ((I know it has a new name too ;-)) and Ramsden Cup, when he already has the second biggest wage bill in Scottish Football....... ;-)

The transfer deadline date should not be set to specifically help, or hinder, one club

#14 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

The transfer deadline date should not be set to specifically help, or hinder, one club

and what is a conspiracy against Rangers doing in the SPL section anyway :lol:  :lol:

seriously though.......I read that it was something to do with Scotland classing Saturday as a working day (new one on me).....it's actually a disadvantage to every club as if any club lose a player on Sunday or Monday they can't then replace them :???:. Seems crazy and makes Scotland look out of step with most other countries (a couple of others are also closing the window on Saturday).

#15 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

and what is a conspiracy against Rangers doing in the SPL section anyway :lol:  :lol:

seriously though.......I read that it was something to do with Scotland classing Saturday as a working day (new one on me).....it's actually a disadvantage to every club as if any club lose a player on Sunday or Monday they can't then replace them :???:. Seems crazy and makes Scotland look out of step with most other countries (a couple of others are also closing the window on Saturday).

I put in the Premiership section, because despite affecting all 42 clubs, the top 12 are the ones who are most likely to be doing business on the final day, and they are the ones that are affected.

#16 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Agree with most comments here and think the SFA have handled the situation pretty poorly from the start. Rangers certainly don't need any new players and I would hope if the deadline was to change then we would be happy with our lot.

I think the biggest losers in the decision is Celtic, they are the only club who would be most likely to sign someone, healthy bank balance and the obvious need for new blood for an exciting Euro campaign on the horizon.....a few extra days might just have made the difference for them strengthening the squad.

The SFA are pretty poor at decision making though and I agree with Craig as to how they came about their decision, as Sheep said it may just have saved us from going into Administration :-)

#17 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

I put in the Premiership section, because despite affecting all 42 clubs, the top 12 are the ones who are most likely to be doing business on the final day, and they are the ones that are affected.

I was only kidding ;-)

#18 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Indeed, maybe it was also to stop confusion, I mean how confusing would it be to call them the the Rangers? ;-)

#19 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

I was only kidding ;-)

I had to think about where to put it, so it was worth explaining.

#20 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

THE Scottish Football Association has clarified why the transfer window will close earlier in Scotland compared to some other countries.

The deadline north of the border is Saturday at 11pm, while clubs in England, for example, have until 11pm on Monday to negotiate deals on transfers.

An SFA spokesperson explained: "The window closes tomorrow because Saturday is a working day for our registration department.

"UEFA sent round a circular on June 21 saying that the deadline can be moved to the first working day after August 31.

"Saturday the 31st is a working day for us and there is something like 10 other associations who are all closing on the 31st as well."

Rangers are currently under a transfer embargo until August 31 after which they can register the eight free agents who have already agreed to join the club.

Had the window been open until Monday, Rangers would theoretically have been able to purchase new players in a 48-hour period instead of waiting until January.

"It's just something we have to accept," commented manager Ally McCoist.

"The SFA has made the decision and you would have to ask the SFA why they have made that decision.

"We just have to abide by the rules that the SFA put forward, which we will do.

"It probably stopped us by a couple of days possibly being able to purchase a player or two, I believe.

"But that's where we are. That's fine. I'm not totally shocked at the decision.

"You would have to ask the SFA why they made that decision but we are abiding by it, of course we will."

On Thursday, St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright claimed the "bizarre" decision to close the window on Saturday night could deny him his latest signing target as the player's English club want him to play an under-21 game on Monday before going on loan.

Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon also described the decision as "peculiar" given clubs are busy with games on Saturday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sfa, uefa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users