• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

FFS John, even leagues in the same country don't always start on the same date so what chance to we have of all the European countries coming together for an agreement. 

none mate...i was being flippant.

the dates should not have been extended under offer, they should either have been status quo or every league should have been told the new date was non-negotiable.

#42 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Teams have had plenty of time to get their business sorted. No point leaving it to last minute.

That's sensible talk, but we all know that a lot of business is done on the closing day across Europe.

My take on it is UEFA should set the date when the windowshuts and the SFA should have no say in it.

Good plan. Forget recommending it, just tell them that's how it will be.

Maybe they should just scrap transfer window and go back to how it used to be.

Agents would hate it, because they seem to be the ones that benefit most from clubs often having to spend inflated amounts on players on the final day. 

#43 Arthur Stramash

Arthur Stramash

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm not knocking your assessment of McCoist's comment and your opinion of it mate, simply the part where ye say a lot of people hurting at Celtic's success. Celtic's success is obviously good for them, on the field and financially but also it's good for Scottish football as a whole. Two entirely different entities imo............ ;)

I agree with you viz-a-viz Celtic, not everyone shares that opinion though, judging by some of the stuff going around the internet and twitter. I don't know if you noticed the Celtic debt story. Desperate stuff.

#44 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 70,963 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I agree with you viz-a-viz Celtic, not everyone shares that opinion though, judging by some of the stuff going around the internet and twitter. I don't know if you noticed the Celtic debt story. Desperate stuff.

That's fair enuff, however I don't visit other sites and I'm no a twittery person so I'm only commenting about bears on here or who I know personally. Huvny seen and wizny aware of any story about any debt (s) Celtic may or may not have & in all honesty I'm no interested mate....without being disrespectful to Celtic and their fans, that's their concern if indeed it actually is a concern.....

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#45 FrugalNory

FrugalNory

Awesome

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

It's disappointing if the date was set specifically to damage Rangers. We have missed out on getting a young player from Liverpool due to the SFA's decision. If Rangers embargo was the driving force behind the decision then it is a little frustrating.

What national body sets a date that hampers 40 odd teams just to punish one? Seems a little silly if that is indeed the case.

#46 Arthur Stramash

Arthur Stramash

Football Legend

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

That's fair enuff, however I don't visit other sites and I'm no a twittery person so I'm only commenting about bears on here or who I know personally. Huvny seen and wizny aware of any story about any debt (s) Celtic may or may not have & in all honesty I'm no interested mate....without being disrespectful to Celtic and their fans, that's their concern if indeed it actually is a concern.....

A few on the phone-ins too dug. I suppose it's only to be expected from some when the greatest rival of the past sails off into the sunset. Hopefully none of the occasional grumpiness on here stems from it. The debt story was a complete red-herring that surfaced from 'non-Celtic' sources ( :) ) as the home tie against Parahandy wiz coming up. I'm not a Celtic fan dug although I'm from the Eastern End, oor family wisnae really that taken wae either of the big two. Because my older brother took me to Ibrox as a wain, I usually wanted the Gers to win. From a pure footballing sense though, Celtic have probably always been the more entertaining team, at least in my lifetime. That they've run their club wisely, when they could have been tempted tae sell thur granny tae keep up wae Sir Dave's mad spending, is to their lasting credit.

#47 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

It's disappointing if the date was set specifically to damage Rangers. We have missed out on getting a young player from Liverpool due to the SFA's decision. If Rangers embargo was the driving force behind the decision then it is a little frustrating.

What national body sets a date that hampers 40 odd teams just to punish one? Seems a little silly if that is indeed the case.

Imo Frugal this is one of these scenarios where some will say it was done to hamper Rangers & some & the SFA will reject that theory. It's one of these situations that the truth of the matter (in the minds of the opinionists....is that a word?) will never see the light of day and never be accepted either way by the various bodies. Time for everyone to move on methinks.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#48 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

Imo Frugal this is one of these scenarios where some will say it was done to hamper Rangers & some & the SFA will reject that theory. It's one of these situations that the truth of the matter (in the minds of the opinionists....is that a word?) will never see the light of day and never be accepted either way by the various bodies. Time for everyone to move on methinks.

It seems to add more weight that the governing bodies aren't fit for purpose. It's shocking that, for whatever reason, they managed to hamper the teams whose best interests they are meant to be looking after.

When all’s said and done it’s only a game.

#49 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

It seems to add more weight that the governing bodies aren't fit for purpose. It's shocking that, for whatever reason, they managed to hamper the teams whose best interests they are meant to be looking after.

I agree wi that Grumpy but in all honesty I can't be arsed with all this last day/couple of days transfer activity. I really feel it's been blown up into this monster for the benefit of tv companies moreso Sky. Imo any deals that were desired could have/should have been done and dusted (the Bale saga being a prime example). Apart from perhaps seeing Natalie Sawers cleavage I don't have a lot of interest in it.... ;)

#50 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

I agree wi that Grumpy but in all honesty I can't be arsed with all this last day/couple of days transfer activity. I really feel it's been blown up into this monster for the benefit of tv companies moreso Sky. Imo any deals that were desired could have/should have been done and dusted (the Bale saga being a prime example). Apart from perhaps seeing Natalie Sawers cleavage I don't have a lot of interest in it.... ;)

It's hard to disagree with the comments re Sky and don't tend to watch it but would rather get my news from Twitter (I know you're not a fan). There is always going to be a last minute rush in the transfer windows.

From a selfish point of view as a Celtic fan, if we lose any players today then we will not be able to replace them and this, IMO is due to the incompetence of the SFA who should be looking after our clubs.

Edited by Grumpy Old Man, 02 September 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#51 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Deadline dates from leagues across Europe:

August 31st
Portugal - 6pm
Scotland - 11pm

September 2nd
Germany - 6pm
England - 11pm
Italy - 11pm
Belgium - midnight
France - midnight
Netherlands - midnight
Spain - midnight

#52 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Deadline dates from leagues across Europe:

August 31st
Portugal - 6pm
Scotland - 11pm

September 2nd
Germany - 6pm
England - 11pm
Italy - 11pm
Belgium - midnight
France - midnight
Netherlands - midnight
Spain - midnight

If that is local time then they will end at 11pm our time

#53 futures bright

futures bright

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes, but not all other teams using trialists as genuine trialists in the past were doing it to circumvent a transfer ban. Far from punishing Ibrox, the SFA have actually been pretty helpful.

On the other hand, since The Rangers are a new club anno 2012, I believe the whole carrying over of the transfer ban was unjustified. That's the real injustice ;)

Spot on Arthur why should the new club pay for the sins of oldco.

#54 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

If that is local time then they will end at 11pm our time

it most likely is local time

#55 ScottyF79

ScottyF79

Football Legend

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

i may have missed it but whats the script with taking players on loan? does that have to be done in a transfer window also - or is that another way round things?

facing the facts of what we know - i dont think theres many would disagree our governing football bodies are useless. and being honest, im glad we didnt get the chance to spend money on anyone AND pay their wages etc.......the 8 lads brought in are way good enough and players who were a real disapointment last season are starting to play pretty well ie Black, Faure.

as for the conspiracy theory all i can add is that its funny how they claim to close the window on a normal working day......wtf is a monday then? the new sunday? 

6 words sum it up for me as far as the sfa etc is concerned - who cares, F**k them & no surrender

cant blame clubs for hanging on for the best price possible for their players either - if you want them, then youll pay up.

dredging old club and new company up is pretty desperate lol

Edited by Scott Forsyth, 02 September 2013 - 07:24 PM.

Untitled7.png

#56 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

paranoia is contagious - the proof is within  this thread.

Generally accepted that no one benefited and in some cases like Celtic, Killie they lost out of players because they ran out of time.

McCoist claims he also would have signed 2 players but more a dig at the SFA than any real substance in his comment. I mean the club are losing £1m per month on the wages currently at the club so why would anyone sanction more spend on a league they will win breaking everytime of record on the way.

Its shut. We move on and look forward to the January window icon_rolleyes.gif

#57 ScottyF79

ScottyF79

Football Legend

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

being paranoid and sceptical are 2 different things. Not to say that there may be the odd die hard that feels like the world and there granny are against who he or she supports - but after everything we know about the underhand backdoor dealings that our top bodies have tried over the past year or so then nothing would come as a surprise if there was some form of bias.

agree that whats dones done. Top leagues a given for Celtic so in the grand scheme of things theres nothing worth talking about in terms of a competition or lack of due to a missed signing.

Untitled7.png

#58 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

being paranoid and sceptical are 2 different things. Not to say that there may be the odd die hard that feels like the world and there granny are against who he or she supports - but after everything we know about the underhand backdoor dealings that our top bodies have tried over the past year or so then nothing would come as a surprise if there was some form of bias.

agree that whats dones done. Top leagues a given for Celtic so in the grand scheme of things theres nothing worth talking about in terms of a competition or lack of due to a missed signing.

what about europe though scott?

#59 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,432 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

As far as the ruling bodies in Scottish Football are concerned, Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr summed it up beautifully:-  plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Shit Creek

#60 ScottyF79

ScottyF79

Football Legend

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

what about europe though scott?

Acht who cares lol, couple o signings and theyd still get pamped out before September - never mind xmas. So Friday,Saturday,Sunday or whenever - makes no odds to the outcome.

Untitled7.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sfa, uefa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users