manchester united man united

1513 replies to this topic

#41 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

I would have expected a couple more in and a couple more out but understand why he would not have moved on any.  Mind you in saying that he did know for some time before the summer he was going to be the managers so surely had a bit of time to think of his squad for the following season.

New signings were the fault of the board (Woodward) and not Moyes. Too tight and too slow

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#42 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,986 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Sheepy if that were true we wouldn't have Nani, Valencia, Young, Cleverley, Anderson in our squad. Admittedly, Cleverley still does a job, but IMO none of them are good enough for us and should have been moved on

Shouldn't SAF have moved those guys on?

In the case of Nani and Valencia, they did show in the past something of what Fergie saw in in them.

I guess even the master could make mistakes.

To this day I cannot get my head around why he persisted with Sylvestre and/or Evra; both very alike, often caught out of position, often half asleep, game reading skills dubious.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#43 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Shouldn't SAF have moved those guys on?

In the case of Nani and Valencia, they did show in the past something of what Fergie saw in in them.

I guess even the master could make mistakes.

To this day I cannot get my head around why he persisted with Sylvestre and/or Evra; both very alike, often caught out of position, often half asleep, game reading skills dubious.

I think there has been some stuff highlighted by others previously last season about certain players not cutting the mustard at United, the competition was poor last season and even though United won the league at a canter they had to come back from behind an awful lot, yes that is a trademark of United not to know when they are beaten but it was the sheer number of games they had to do it that I am talking about, United used to be known for not conceding many goals.

#44 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

A no bad interview with Moyes in the Daily Mail

Hopefully over the next six months or so we'll start to see changes in the playing squad. 

Much like last season, for all the negativity coming from all angles, we are surprisingly still not far behind even though some of our defensive performances have been piss poor. 

#45 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

A no bad interview with Moyes in the Daily Mail

Hopefully over the next six months or so we'll start to see changes in the playing squad.

Much like last season, for all the negativity coming from all angles, we are surprisingly still not far behind even though some of our defensive performances have been piss poor.

He is starting to settle in to the job. I still think top 4 is more than achievable. He has been unlucky to have RVP injured so much and inheriting an ageing team that needs two or three world class players.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#46 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

He is starting to settle in to the job. I still think top 4 is more than achievable. He has been unlucky to have RVP injured so much and inheriting an ageing team that needs two or three world class players.

He's still pretty blinkered but it's slowly improving Jay

#47 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

He's still pretty blinkered but it's slowly improving Jay

In what way do you think he is blinkered?

#48 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

In what way do you think he is blinkered?

When it's blatantly obvious we are playing without pace and/or cutting edge especially against Everton, Newcastle, West Brom, Southampton he still insists on saying we played well and should have won but were missing a wee bit of luck. Top teams make more chances and take more chances. It's no surprise that City's GD is +32 and we are +9. They are being as ruthless as we used to be. 

Moyes will have far more joy if he points out the areas that are failing and puts a wee bit of pressure on guys to step it up. Rooney is carrying that team all on his own right now

#49 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,986 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Did it not take Fergie a wee while to get things right?

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#50 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Did it not take Fergie a wee while to get things right?

4 or 5 years....... Moyes is an investment for the future, not a quick fix like maybe Jose would have been.....

Good manager he needs time.
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#51 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

A transfer I would like to see

http://www.mancheste...barkley-6452643

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#52 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

A transfer I would like to see

http://www.mancheste...barkley-6452643

Would also like to see the boy there, but he's still just a prospect. We need a couple of seasoned midfielders. One could be Cabaye. Plenty of EPL experience and in good form. Heard we're after Koke as well from Atletico Madrid. Baines must be the other man Moyes is after. A LB is a must

#53 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Would also like to see the boy there, but he's still just a prospect. We need a couple of seasoned midfielders. One could be Cabaye. Plenty of EPL experience and in good form. Heard we're after Koke as well from Atletico Madrid. Baines must be the other man Moyes is after. A LB is a must

Thanks Bund :D
Posted Image

#54 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

This makes very sober reading........I wish I was shocked  :-(

Manchester United - Style Issues

Some are calling it the worst defence of the title ever. Manchester United are seventh in January. No Premier League champions have ever finished lower. They have already lost more home games - four - than in any season in the past decade and there are still nine Old Trafford fixtures left to fulfil. The only comfort for United fans right now is that the transfer window is now open. The panacea could be just days away.David Moyes has sought to play down the club's January activity, recently admitting he wasn't "massively sure" he would bring someone in. While that is unlikely to impress United fans, the real worry for supporters should not be a lack of signings; the big concern ought to be that those signings might not make much difference. Not when there is a problem at the core of the team's style of play. Playing the percentages can be an unwelcome phrase in football. But many coaches recognise that luck is a key element in the game. In The Numbers Game by Chris Anderson and David Sally it is argued that fortune accounts for 50 per cent of the reason for any given result. Some play on this. A Sam Allardyce or a Tony Pulis might enjoy relative success by utilising an aerial game that relies upon second balls and knockdowns, turning the contest into a series of 50/50 battles. Making a football match a 90 minute coin toss suits teams with less quality at their disposal. But the aim for the richest clubs in the division with the best players at their disposal should be to limit the impact of luck. That's why such sides will look to pass their way through the opposition and focus on precision. It is not a quirk that sees Barcelona et al choose to take short corners rather than sling the ball into the box. It is a calculated decision that there are easier ways to score. Of course, crossing the ball is a tradition at Old Trafford. This is a club accustomed to having some of the finest wingers around. Sir Alex Ferguson has relied upon them over the years from Lee Sharpe and Andrei Kanchelskis to Ryan Giggs and David Beckham; from the great Cristiano Ronaldo to the blossoming talents of Adnan Januzaj. But it seems you can have too much of a good thing.failed-crosses-man-united_3060511.jpgManchester United's tally of 423 failed crosses this season is a Premier League high
Manchester United top the Premier League for crosses per game, swinging in an average of 26.65 of them in their 20 league games so far this season. In the New Year's Day defeat at home to Tottenham, they took the policy to new levels. A whopping 47 crosses were lobbed goalwards for Vlad Chiriches and Michael Dawson to deal with. That was a United high for the season and more than in any game they played last term. It isn't proving an efficient use of the ball in the final third. This is precisely the area of the field where the best teams will play an intricate through-ball to find a breakthrough. Tellingly, that's exactly what the impressive Januzaj did to create Danny Welbeck's goal on Wednesday. It leads to better quality opportunities and United are eschewing plenty of them: 423 of the 533 crosses hurled in have failed to find their target (again, a Premier League high). That's 423 chances to do something better in the last third that have been wasted. It's a disjointed tactic too. Firstly, an emphasis on crossing necessitates quality in wide areas. While United have the numbers, the world-class wingers of the past are missing. Moyes' team has become wilfully reliant on the most mercurial figures in the squad, with the ruthless Robin van Persie reduced to the role of waiting in the box for the ball to arrive from the flanks. Not only is this supply a problem but these wingers are not a direct source of goals either. Ronaldo was a revelation, Beckham averaged more than seven goals per season and Giggs netted 81 goals in his first 12 Premier League campaigns. In the 1994/95 season, Kanchelskis was even the top scorer. In 2013/14, Giggs, Ashley Young, Nani, Antonio Valencia and Wilfried Zaha have contributed just two goals between them. Only young Januzaj - with three goals - has scored more than once. The lack of goals from wide areas mean that goalscoring contributions from midfield are more important than ever - and here too there are problems. Michael Carrick is content in his role as a sitting midfielder but his regular partner Thomas Cleverley is showing little sign of developing into the regular scorer that his position surely demands. He has netted just one goal in 26 appearances for club and country so far this season.
At least that's one more than summer signing Marouane Fellaini. The Belgian midfielder has a reputation as a goalscorer after hitting 11 in the league for Everton last year but he has made a disappointing start at United. He is goalless after 11 games for the Red Devils with little more than a red card to show for his efforts. Most alarmingly, it seems that Moyes might envision Fellaini in a deeper role akin to that of Carrick with little responsibility to share the goalscoring burden.

Flawed

This is an issue. Without runners bursting onto the ball from midfield, the tactical approach is fundamentally flawed. With nobody for the strikers to lay the ball off to and no late runs into the box to worry defenders, United must win the initial header... or else. Wayne Rooney has nine goals this season; Van Persie and Welbeck seven each. But opponents know that if they take care of the forwards then the job is effectively done.

165012893_2998491522001_video-still-for-

Moyes blames referee

Much of the focus for Manchester United supporters this January will be on finding that one midfielder who can transform the team's fortunes. Spanish duo Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas were missed in the summer and now there is hope that Borussia Dortmund's Ilkay Gundogan can be the difference maker. But how can any midfielder make a huge impact when the team's tactics don't involve playing through the middle of the pitch?

United currently rank bottom of the Premier League for the percentage of their attacking play that goes through the central zone of the field. Last season they were up in eighth. If it's debatable whether that statistic should be interpreted as a negative, consider the company they are keeping - the next three teams on the list are Hull, West Ham and Stoke. This is not a template for a successful style of play.

Is that a product of not having a top-class midfielder at the club or is it just the way Moyes wants his team set up to play? Having spent £27.5million on a central midfielder in the summer, there is a real danger of throwing good money after bad. As a result, perhaps the biggest fear for Manchester United fans is that they are chasing a solution on the pitch to a problem that is standing on their touchline.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that piece just sums up exactly what I've been moaning about for some time. It's all well and good playing the ball through the wide areas if you have the quality to deliver regularly. Nani, Valencia, Young, Evra and Smalling/Rafael just don't possess that quality. 

The wee sly dig at Moyes at the end is pretty poor TBH. He is playing the exact same system with the same players who won the league last season, albeit with a huge slice of luck. We got the breaks last season in and around the box playing percentage fitba, but it just isn't paying off now. Ferguson bought Kagawa and Januzaj, guys who thrive playing through the middle opening defences, yet regularly they are used as wide men. We need a change of philosophy and/or personnel 

#55 Gusmeister

Gusmeister

Football Legend

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

BdS05JCIMAAxegG.jpg

#56 Wing Nut

Wing Nut

Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

I am a supporter of Moyes, however he did inherit the champions - Fergie inherited a pile of shit so It took a lot of time for him to turn it around.  I am realistic enough to realise that Utd can win the league every year, however I dont tink its acceptable to be losing these games so easily.  Of course the manager has to be given a chance, but not five years.  Would hope to see big improvement next season or perhaps we may need a change

58513a3f6bf142ada377ff1986f565ae.jpg

#57 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

The talk on Sky Sports News is that Moyes has significant funds to strengthen. Moyes has supposedly said players he wants aren't available.

#58 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

The talk on Sky Sports News is that Moyes has significant funds to strengthen. Moyes has supposedly said players he wants aren't available.

I agree with him............ he has a team at the minute that is not his......... why add others he doesnt want?

He knows who he needs to let go, like the rest of us,

He will also need time from the rest of us to build his own team, then we can judge him.
Posted Image

#59 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

I agree with him............ he has a team at the minute that is not his......... why add others he doesnt want?

He knows who he needs to let go, like the rest of us,

He will also need time from the rest of us to build his own team, then we can judge him.

January is always a difficult time to get the right players.

#60 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

January is always a difficult time to get the right players.

we'll see what happens Jay, I would like to see new faces, but not if its a panic buy....... we could end up with another Fellaini.....
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users