Photo

Can Aberdeen win the league in the next 5 years?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

May be it's just me but Aberdeen had two good results against Celtic within a couple of weeks and won the league cup by beating ICT in a penalty shoot out and all of a sudden we're talking about them mounting a serious challenge to Celtic. 

As has already been pointed out they are only a point in front of Motherwell, who have been far more consistent in finishing higher up the league in recent years so they are far from a cert for second place this year. 

Jay is saying that he is hopeful that they can make some good signings to strengthen the squad at Pittodrie while thinking that Celtic could struggle to attrach the standard of player that they used to. Celtic have bought relatively untried players and brought some of them on before moving them on for a tidy profit. The likes of Wanyama, Hooper, Ki, McGeady were hardly household names before being making it at Celtic and from the current squad Forster and Van Dijk were relatively unknown. So the scouting system must be doing something right and there's no reason to think that will change, we've also brought through the likes of Fisher and Henderson from the youths who don't look out of place in the side.

If Aberdeen do the double this year it would have to go down in their history as one of their best seasons but it remains to be seen if they can maintain this going forward.

Edited by Grumpy Old Man, 29 March 2014 - 12:59 PM.

When all’s said and done it’s only a game.

#22 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

The game in Scotland needs investment but it also needs Clubs to use the money wisely, if we got a big tv deal tomorrow then more than a few would throw it at average players who will be on inflated wages and i include Rangers and Celtic amongst these Clubs.

What is needed a more modern approach to coaching not just at pro level but youth as well, the Spanish, French, German or even English kids are not born better they are coached better. People will point to Wotte and what he's doing at the SFA and say we have started but it's not enough, we need every Club to realise that the only way without a big tv deal or sponsors for our Clubs to improve is by producing not just decent players as we are and have been doing for decades but produce players that big European Clubs will see as potential signings that will improve the value and in turn give Clubs a chance of investing further.

It would take years to see the benefit but it would be worth it imo.

Your point regards coaching is an interesting one. Our youth teams tend to do ok. I think a big problem here is footballers in Scotland are behind other countries in terms of diet and they still like a drink. They need to look after their bodies. They also need to work harder at the gym in terms of having the physique of an athlete.
  • TNT likes this

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#23 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

May be it's just me but Aberdeen had two good results against Celtic within a couple of weeks and won the league cup by beating ICT in a penalty shoot out and all of a sudden we're talking about them mounting a serious challenge to Celtic.

As has already been pointed out they are only a point in front of Motherwell, who have been far more consistent in finishing higher up the league in recent years so they are far from a cert for second place this year.

Jay is saying that he is hopeful that they can make some good signings to strengthen the squad at Pittodrie while thinking that Celtic could struggle to attrach the standard of player that they used to. Celtic have bought relatively untried players and brought some of them on before moving them on for a tidy profit. The likes of Wanyama, Hooper, Ki, McGeady were hardly household names before being making it at Celtic and from the current squad Forster and Van Dijk were relatively unknown. So the scouting system must be doing something right and there's no reason to think that will change, we've also brought through the likes of Fisher and Henderson from the youths who don't look out of place in the side.

If Aberdeen do the double this year it would have to go down in their history as one of their best seasons but it remains to be seen if they can maintain this going forward.

The difference in quality has diminished since Celtic were signing the likes of Sutton and Hartson.

#24 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

The difference in quality has diminished since Celtic were signing the likes of Sutton and Hartson.

Jay both f these guys left Celtic eight years ago so I don't really see the point in bringing them up, that's a bit like me saying that Aberdeen aren't signing the players of the class of Booby Clark, Joe Harper or Martin Buchan.

#25 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Sadly, not a chance. I would love to see both Aberdeen AND Dundee United challenging for titles

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#26 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

That of course should read Bobby Clark.

#27 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Jay both f these guys left Celtic eight years ago so I don't really see the point in bringing them up, that's a bit like me saying that Aberdeen aren't signing the players of the class of Booby Clark, Joe Harper or Martin Buchan.

It shows the type of quality that Celtic sign now is not as got as it was.

#28 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,741 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

It shows the type of quality that Celtic sign now is not as got as it was.

That had to stop at some point , we won't spend 5/6m on a player now or the forseeable future , even when rangers were in the league it stopped at both clubs
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#29 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

That had to stop at some point , we won't spend 5/6m on a player now or the forseeable future , even when rangers were in the league it stopped at both clubs

It is part of the reason why I think we may have a chance of competing. We need to be more consistent but have good spine of team to build on.

#30 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

It is part of the reason why I think we may have a chance of competing. We need to be more consistent but have good spine of team to build on.

Come on Jay. You've had a cracking season but are still 26 points behind. That is a huge gap to fill

#31 zander

zander

Hall Of Fame

• 1,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

Even Celtic spending 2-3million is far beyond what Aberdeen could spend. The gulf in spending power isn't the same but it's still huge.

#32 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

Come on Jay. You've had a cracking season but are still 26 points behind. That is a huge gap to fill

It is a big gap but I think teams like yourself and Dundee United will be stronger. I don't think Celtic will only lose one game next season. It is up to other teams to take points off Celtic too. We now have a centre forward who is banging the goals in. Our defence is up there with best in the country and players are gaining in confidence. If we can get right players in and continue to improve then we can look to close the gap.

#33 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Even Celtic spending 2-3million is far beyond what Aberdeen could spend. The gulf in spending power isn't the same but it's still huge.

Spending 2-3 million doesn't guarantee quality. Look at likes of Balde and Pukki.

#34 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

It is a big gap but I think teams like yourself and Dundee United will be stronger. I don't think Celtic will only lose one game next season. It is up to other teams to take points off Celtic too. We now have a centre forward who is banging the goals in. Our defence is up there with best in the country and players are gaining in confidence. If we can get right players in and continue to improve then we can look to close the gap.

My team plays in Englandshire Jay :lol:

#35 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,023 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I agree Bund, but Aberdeen were really hit and miss at the start of the season, they look more consistent now....... if they can build on that with a few good signings.........?

Celtic will still win at a canter......
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#36 zander

zander

Hall Of Fame

• 1,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Spending 2-3 million doesn't guarantee quality. Look at likes of Balde and Pukki.

You have a better chance than a team that spends very little, look at the League table.

#37 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

My team plays in Englandshire Jay :lol:

I meant ourselves ha

#38 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

You have a better chance than a team that spends very little, look at the League table.

With that attitude we may as well just all give up and give Celtic the trophy on opening day of the season.

#39 achnasheen

achnasheen

Sir Raheem Sterling

• Members
  • 13,593 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

I agree Bund, but Aberdeen were really hit and miss at the start of the season, they look more consistent now....... if they can build on that with a few good signings.........?

Celtic will still win at a canter......

Aberdeen are a great team but I am biased in the severe. We are having our first top six finish since Calderwood, last few seasons I have been calculating when we are safe from relegation. Been amazing winning our first trophy in years but takes more than one season.

#40 zander

zander

Hall Of Fame

• 1,802 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

With that attitude we may as well just all give up and give Celtic the trophy on opening day of the season.

It's just a fact if you have more money then you have a better chance of finding better players than the Clubs who spend very little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users