Photo

Is it anyone elses business that Jack Wilshere smokes?

jack wilshere arsenal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,391 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Jack Wilshere was recently photographed while smoking, and he has since come out and said he made a mistake and that he regrets it.

Is it anyone's business that he smokes? I know that it isn't the best move for fitness reasons, but other than that, I don't care if he smokes or not. 

#2 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 33,040 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

The media should ignore it
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#3 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,324 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Socrates used to smoke about 50 a day and still a great player,its up to him but he's better doing it in private

I'm sure arsenal aren't happy paying him 50-60k a week and see him smoke nevermind doing it in public

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#4 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

I think any Arsenal fan who has a season ticket and in effect is paying his wages has a right to expect that he acts in a professional way at all times. He should do everything he can to perform at his absolute best on a saturday. He also shouldn't lose sight of the fact he is a role model to many thousands of kids.

Yup it is more than just his business in my view

Edited by Elchappy, 27 July 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#5 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

While I can agree wi Chappy a case could also be made with regards to players drinking. personally think it's between the player and club to sort this out but in the long run it's Wilshere's body. He's obviously no got much grey matter getting caught out a 2nd time!

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#6 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Joe Public shouldn't give a shit, well apart from Arsenal fans. The club should be ragin IMO. He is paid a fair wage to play fitba and keep himself in peak condition. In some folk's eyes, this could be construed as breach of contract and grounds for dismissal ;)

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#7 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Joe Public shouldn't give a shit, well apart from Arsenal fans. The club should be ragin IMO. He is paid a fair wage to play fitba and keep himself in peak condition. In some folk's eyes, this could be construed as breach of contract and grounds for dismissal ;)

I understand what yer saying & I'm not standing up for the boy but once ye start that, in these circumstances, cue the Human Rights lawyers.....Right to a private life mate (or something like that)... ;)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#8 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

It doesn't bother me one bit however for his club, country and those that idolise him I believe he should act professionally at all times .
Whether we, the public or the players themselves like it or not they are role models and have a responsibility to children out there.

#9 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

I understand what yer saying & I'm not standing up for the boy but once ye start that, in these circumstances, cue the Human Rights lawyers.....Right to a private life mate (or something like that)... ;)

I'm 100% behind the boy's right to smoke if he chooses, BUT he signed a contract with Arsenal which I'm sure will contain sections regarding keeping himself fit and healthy. Smoking has been proven to badly affect your health so his club may have grounds to act against him. They won't, but I think they could. 

#10 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'm 100% behind the boy's right to smoke if he chooses, BUT he signed a contract with Arsenal which I'm sure will contain sections regarding keeping himself fit and healthy. Smoking has been proven to badly affect your health so his club may have grounds to act against him. They won't, but I think they could. 

Alfredo Di Stefano who sadly passed away the other week smoked like a lum Bund....didny do him much harm to his footballing career....BTW I'm NOT making a case FOR smoking mate.....I do think the club would be on a stcky wicket due to the Human Rights Act mate.....which btw I DO NOT agree with as in the idiotic cases that have been brought to court.

#11 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

the only 2 parties that it should concern are Wilshere and Arsenal.

if arsenal have told players not to, and also (if they can) have it in contracts then they hold the upperhand, if not or if any contractual restriction applies the wilshere can do what he wants.

#12 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Alfredo Di Stefano who sadly passed away the other week smoked like a lum Bund....didny do him much harm to his footballing career....BTW I'm NOT making a case FOR smoking mate.....I do think the club would be on a stcky wicket due to the Human Rights Act mate.....which btw I DO NOT agree with as in the idiotic cases that have been brought to court.

I know the great Di Stefano was ahead of his time and easily the best in the business but he played at a time when players were less....professional.
If he were playing in his prime in the fame today living and training the same way he was back then I'm quite sure he would struggle against these superior physical players who train their bodies maximise potential.

#13 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,741 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Tons of players smoked and they looked like it never affected them , saying that, if they never they may have caught that through ball they just missed, we will never know.
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#14 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

I've heard that argument many a time Dug, and while there were some truly amazing players back in the day, the athleticism required nowadays would leave some of those players literally gasping for breath. You only have to look at the amount of ground covered by the average player now and at greater speed, to see how lung capacity is more important now than ever before. 

#15 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

It's a bit like nutrition too as players in the past didn't look after themselves as well in terms of what they ate. Professional football players should be looking after their bodies and minimise alcohol and junk food.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#16 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,296 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'd say it's his own business, but he should consider the effect it may have on his fitness now and in years to come.

It is well within Arsenal's rights if the club wish to have a word with him, but outside of that it is nobody's business.

Willie Johnson was a heavy smoker. I actually saw him smoking as he walked onto the field for the second half of a game at Cappielow.

Shit Creek

#17 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

I know the great Di Stefano was ahead of his time and easily the best in the business but he played at a time when players were less....professional.
If he were playing in his prime in the fame today living and training the same way he was back then I'm quite sure he would struggle against these superior physical players who train their bodies maximise potential.

Can't disagree wi that Cam.

I've heard that argument many a time Dug, and while there were some truly amazing players back in the day, the athleticism required nowadays would leave some of those players literally gasping for breath. You only have to look at the amount of ground covered by the average player now and at greater speed, to see how lung capacity is more important now than ever before. 

I wizny meaning it as a counter argument Bund simply as an example. I do agree with what ye said also.

Bugger it.....I'm away for a smoke..... ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jack wilshere, arsenal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users