27 replies to this topic

#21 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

A decent quote from his book about Cantona;

“In my early years at United, there was a players’ pool and each of us would get about £800 out of it at the end of the season for the work we’d done for the in-house magazines, the club videos.

We were all on decent money and eight hundred quid wasn’t going to make or break us, so one time, we decided to put all the cheques into a hat and the last cheque out, whoever’s name was on it, got to keep all of the cheques.
“We all put our cheques in except a couple of the younger players – I think it was Becks and Gary and Phil (Neville).

They opted out. They were new on the scene and didn’t have the money to spare, but Scholesy and Nicky Butt put their cheques in.

I think I was the third last name out, so I got a run for my money, but the last cheque out – Eric Cantona. He’d won about sixteen grand.

He came in the next day, there was plenty of banter – ‘Eric, you lucky b——!’ F—— money to money.

But he had got somebody to cash the cheques, he’d split the money in two and he gave it to Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt because, he said, the two of them had the balls to go into it when they couldn’t really afford it.
“The two lads took home about eight grand each.

I just thought, ‘what a gesture.’ Nobody else would have done it.”

What a hero! Eric Cantona is cool personified.

:)

Aye I agree. Rarely in the modern era have we seen one man single handedly determine the outcome of the Premiership. Showed my wee fella some of his football stuff on You Tube but doesnt do him any justice especially with really short shorts that are just not fashionable at present :) 

Henrick Larsson and Eric Cantona the only football heroes I have had as an adult.

#22 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

Aye I agree. Rarely in the modern era have we seen one man single handedly determine the outcome of the Premiership. Showed my wee fella some of his football stuff on You Tube but doesnt do him any justice especially with really short shorts that are just not fashionable at present :)

Henrick Larsson and Eric Cantona the only football heroes I have had as an adult.

Was pretty fond of Henrik Larsson as a player too. He was great for us and he also gave me one of my most memorable football moments

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#23 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:21 PM

Was pretty fond of Henrik Larsson as a player too. He was great for us and he also gave me one of my most memorable football moments

. . . .go on then?

#24 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

A decent quote from his book about Cantona;

“In my early years at United, there was a players’ pool and each of us would get about £800 out of it at the end of the season for the work we’d done for the in-house magazines, the club videos.
We were all on decent money and eight hundred quid wasn’t going to make or break us, so one time, we decided to put all the cheques into a hat and the last cheque out, whoever’s name was on it, got to keep all of the cheques.
“We all put our cheques in except a couple of the younger players – I think it was Becks and Gary and Phil (Neville).

They opted out. They were new on the scene and didn’t have the money to spare, but Scholesy and Nicky Butt put their cheques in.
I think I was the third last name out, so I got a run for my money, but the last cheque out – Eric Cantona. He’d won about sixteen grand.
He came in the next day, there was plenty of banter – ‘Eric, you lucky b——!’ F—— money to money.
But he had got somebody to cash the cheques, he’d split the money in two and he gave it to Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt because, he said, the two of them had the balls to go into it when they couldn’t really afford it.
“The two lads took home about eight grand each.
I just thought, ‘what a gesture.’ Nobody else would have done it.”
What a hero! Eric Cantona is cool personified.

:)

I cudda told you that story 12yrs ago bund :-D

Northern%20Ireland.gif

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#25 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

. . . .go on then?

:lol: Sure I've mentioned it before;

My lassie is a Celtic fan but had never been to a game before. My brother and mate got me tickets so I could take her to Larsson's testimonial. The four of us would be sitting in the corner of Jock Stein/North Stands upper. We were running a wee bit late and were rushing up the stairs to take our seats, just as we emerged from the exit stairs the place erupted in song. Our kid just froze and burst into tears. The singing was so loud and the buzz was mad. She had never experienced anything like it and was in shock. Best part of 60,000 fans singing their hearts out with scarves held over their heads. No matter how she tried, she couldn't join in. Took her ages to calm down. Loved the experience

#26 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

I cudda told you that story 12yrs ago bund :-D

You didn't know me ya daft cunt :lol:  :thumbup:

#27 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,433 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

I see law suits coming up.

http://www.theguardi...ck-book-ireland

Back in the day I used to admire and even sympathise with the guy. I thought he was just a hot headed young man who was rather too easily provoked.

I remember one incident when he allowed Shearer to get under his skin and got himself carded for tossing the ball at Shearer. At the time I said to my uncle, "Keane's a fool but Shearer's a c*nt".

I later came to realise that he has a mean streak a mile wide and just as deep.

Edited by Hairy Scot, 11 October 2014 - 10:47 PM.

Shit Creek

#28 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

nice wee story on Roy Keane

He's not all bad.......

http://www.edinburgh...njury-1-3603577

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roy keane

0 user(s) are reading this topic