St.Mirren in the Championship

82 replies to this topic

#1 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

My team of choice, St.Mirren FC, now find themselves in the Championship as of next season.  Is this good, bad or could you not care less?

To those of us with a Black and White perspective this relegation has been a matter of if and not when as the team has been on a descent since winning the League Cup.  The Cup win is an achievement that Danny Lennon should be remembered for.  I liked Danny but I am not sure that if he had stayed on we would have stayed up.  Even when Gus was the Manager we were flirting with the drop.

I feel relatively optimistic having seen us in this position and getting out of it.

It may not be an immediate return but I understand that a new Manager will be announced imminently so that's the start of it.  No journeymen please, let's get a similar Danny type with something to prove.

What do the rest of you think??

Edited by Hunterian, 20 May 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#2 Stewart

Stewart

Veteran

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

Its a tough league yes however i wish the Buddies good luck in coming back, the first time of asking  8-)

#3 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

I reckon you might keep going. St Mirren were utter mince this season, with no direction either from the bench or from the board room - the former the fault of the latter if you ask me.

It will all come down to the managerial appointment and then what he can do with the team afterwards, but if they cock that up I wouldn't be surprised if St Mirren are fighting relegation again next season. There's far better in the Championship currently.

#4 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

I would have to say that its going to be tough for St Mirren. If you look at the league you will be in I would suggest that Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Queen of the South, two of Hibs/Rangers or Motherwell will all be better than the Saints simply for the fact that Saints will find it hard to keep a hold of the players that may be Hibs, Herats and Rangers managed to.

Good luck away at Dumbarton....a terrible ground!

#5 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,061 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

Names in the frame appear to be Ian McParland, Ian Murray, Gary Teale, Ray McKinnon and Derek Adams. 

Ian Murray would suit me but definitely not Derek Adams.  Gary Teale is a Manager for the future but better he doesn't make all his mistakes with us.

#6 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,439 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

I think potentially this could be a disaster for St Mirren as they could very well stay down for a while to come. If Rangers or Hibs both stay in that league, one of us will for sure, and with the likes of Falkirk and QoS still there accompanied by other teams who will be looking to improve then I think it will be very very difficult for St Mirren to have a chance to go up within a few years.

#7 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,061 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

Dumbarton have just announced that Ian Murray will be leaving them to become St.Mirren's Manager.  I feel that this is a similar appointment to Danny so let's see what he can do. 

#8 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

Good start, Ian Murray's done a good job with Dumbarton. Needs the backing of the board though as that team need a good clear out.

#9 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 36,816 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Good choice hes done good at the sons who i have a soft spot for.
Das it mane , Das it.

#10 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

It's a tough time to go down. the parachute payments should ease the pain financially, but that's only for two seasons. 

#11 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

St Mirren: Ten players leave after relegation - http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/33051200

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#12 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:30 PM

St Mirren sign Calum Gallagher from Rangers. I hope he gets a good run of games. He looked like an exciting prospect.

#13 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

St Mirren sign Calum Gallagher from Rangers. I hope he gets a good run of games. He looked like an exciting prospect.

Good luck to the lad I hope he settles and performs well for the saints, was never given the chance under McCoist despite performing when he did actually get a game......I'm actually surprised MW let him go.

#14 gascoigne8

gascoigne8

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

I hope the Saints get second this season and get it right up Stubbs...be good to see the Morton derby games i like wee feisty games like them good to watch,I thing you have a good young manager in Murray and i was amazed he never got the hibs job before the big dumpling got it,Like i say good luck for the season hope you come second and i hope wee Callum Gallagher does the business for you,great wee  professional and deserves a turn.

#15 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

Good luck to the lad I hope he settles and performs well for the saints, was never given the chance under McCoist despite performing when he did actually get a game......I'm actually surprised MW let him go.

He was given a run of two or three games near the end of the season before last, I think. I thought that was a sign he was going to become a regular, but then it never really went anywhere.

#16 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,061 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

I don't think we have it in us for a 2nd placing but Murray is saying the right things and guys like Thompson will be well up to scoring in this Division.  I must confess that some of my greatest St.Mirren memories are from when Tom Hendrie's team got promotion in 1999/2000.  Glory days.

I think that next year will be the better chance.

As for Morton, they were normally the team that we just took 12 points from each season, sorry 8 points!

:shock:

Edited by Hunterian, 06 August 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#17 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

Lawrence Shankland has signed on loan from Aberdeen. Hope he does well and comes back a stronger player.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#18 Hessur

Hessur

International

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

I am impressed by how St Mirren are going about their business following relegation.

Getting rid of deadwood and replacing them with decent youngsters who may need more than one season to get promoted especially with Rangers and Hibs in the same league.

In the door have come Gallacher from Rangers and Shankland (loan) from the sheep.  They also have some decent youngsters like Kelly and Baird and they all will grow with game time instead of their progress being blocked by old has beens and never will bes.

They have  now signed Andy Webster who as a player has seen better days but will provide some solidity and experience at the heart of the defence in the short term at least.

As I said they seem to be doing things to a sensible and mangeable plan and if they don't go up this season, they should be in the hunt next time.

#19 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

I am impressed by how St Mirren are going about their business following relegation.

Getting rid of deadwood and replacing them with decent youngsters who may need more than one season to get promoted especially with Rangers and Hibs in the same league.

In the door have come Gallacher from Rangers and Shankland (loan) from the sheep.  They also have some decent youngsters like Kelly and Baird and they all will grow with game time instead of their progress being blocked by old has beens and never will bes.

They have  now signed Andy Webster who as a player has seen better days but will provide some solidity and experience at the heart of the defence in the short term at least.

As I said they seem to be doing things to a sensible and mangeable plan and if they don't go up this season, they should be in the hunt next time.

I was surprised to see that Webster is only 33. 

#20 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

St Mirren Park is due to be renamed Paisley 2021 in a deal worth £30k per year. It's a silly name, but if the council think it will help their campaign, then fair enough. 

St Mirren are ready to rename their stadium in a deal to back Paisley's bid to become UK City of Culture in 2021.

If the proposed two-year sponsorship arrangement is approved by councillors on Wednesday, St Mirren Park will become the Paisley 2021 Stadium.
The Championship club say the deal will be worth £30,000 a year.
The Buddies have been at the current St Mirren Park site since 2009, having moved from their former Love Street location.
"St Mirren FC is proud of its roots in Paisley's history, dating back to the founding of the club in the town in 1877," said chief executive Brian Caldwell.
"These proposals would see our stadium playing a key part of the City of Culture campaign and I am certain that our fans will get right behind it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users