• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#41 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Mark Warburton didn't leave Brentford to join Rangers out of choice! He was on a rolling year to year contract and was told by the Brentford owners that they would not be renewing it whether he got Brentford into the Premiership or not.

I thought that he told them he would be leave at the end of the season.

#42 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

I thought that he told them he would be leave at the end of the season.

other way round was my understanding

who wouldnt want to manage in the premiership?

#43 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

other way round was my understanding

who wouldnt want to manage in the premiership?

Maybe he felt it was mission completed? I hadn't heard of him getting the push before, but that's more likely than him jumping. Although, even that doesn't make sense.

#44 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Warburton was told his contract wouldn't be renewed at Brentford.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#45 zander

zander

Hall Of Fame

• 1,802 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:16 AM

Warburton was told his contract wouldn't be renewed at Brentford.

He was but only because he didn't want to adopt the new approach for signing players using statistical analysis. He would still be Brentford manager if he did what the Chairman wanted.

#46 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

He was but only because he didn't want to adopt the new approach for signing players using statistical analysis. He would still be Brentford manager if he did what the Chairman wanted.

that's what happens when you don't do as your employer asks - you get the tin tack

#47 Stuart2511

Stuart2511

Super Sub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Allan leaving will clearly be a huge blow for Hibs but should he hit the ground running, surely young John McGinn will be a suitable replacement both long and short term.

#48 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Celtic paid less for Mackay-Steven than what some are saying is a fair price. Some are even claiming double what celtic paid seems about right. He is a player who wants away and can sign a PCA in less than 6 months. All this has to be taken into consideration.

Hibs are not our rivals for promotion. Their rivals are St Mirren, QoS, Raith Rovers, Falkirk. and whoever finishes 11th in the premier league. Time for a reality check for some Hibees. The gardener has gone and the old regime have been removed.

As far as replacements go. Rhys McCabe and John McGinn would be two very decent players at this level.

You may be right, but that type of arrogance would have made you look pretty foolish lat season had you said it about Hearts, maybe worth reeling yourself in and seeing if the expected cake walk to the title happens this season :-D :-D

#49 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Regarding Mark Warburton, Brentfords owner Matthew Benham is a professional gambler who's made a fortune playing the numbers. He believes that he can do the same when building a winning football team using statistics to determine not only which players to sign but also the way the team plays. Warburton was going to have no control over who signs and was told that he was going to have to play a long ball game as this apparently is statistically the most successful (although it hasn't helped us much recently). Warburton wasn't able to agree to that so despite getting promotion and being in a play off position for the EPL it was agreed in January that he would not have his contract renewed.

Seems like a weird way to run a football team but Benham also owns Danish team FC Midtjlland who recently won the Danish Super League using the statistical approach.

As for the Scott Allan saga. I totally understand Hibs attitude but I'm just hoping that we run away with the league and that by January Hibs are knocking at Rangers door begging us to give them a tenner for the boy.   

#50 Stuart2511

Stuart2511

Super Sub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

Regarding Mark Warburton, Brentfords owner Matthew Benham is a professional gambler who's made a fortune playing the numbers. He believes that he can do the same when building a winning football team using statistics to determine not only which players to sign but also the way the team plays. Warburton was going to have no control over who signs and was told that he was going to have to play a long ball game as this apparently is statistically the most successful (although it hasn't helped us much recently). Warburton wasn't able to agree to that so despite getting promotion and being in a play off position for the EPL it was agreed in January that he would not have his contract renewed.
Seems like a weird way to run a football team but Benham also owns Danish team FC Midtjlland who recently won the Danish Super League using the statistical approach.

As for the Scott Allan saga. I totally understand Hibs attitude but I'm just hoping that we run away with the league and that by January Hibs are knocking at Rangers door begging us to give them a tenner for the boy.

I agree with you, I think Rangers will win the Championship comfortably from what I've seen of others in the league. But on the point of Scott Allan, if Rangers find things aren't going there way over the course of the season, will Scott Allan be crucial in carrying games for Rangers, will he be as essential to the team as the crying out for him from fans suggest. If he signs I feel he will be a cracking peice of business but I also believe the likes of Halliday, Law, Murdoch and Holt will have a huge impact (in a quality sence).

Edited by Stuart2511, 03 August 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#51 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

I agree with you, I think Rangers will win the Championship comfortably from what I've seen of others in the league. But on the point of Scott Allan, if Rangers find things aren't going there way over the course of the season, will Scott Allan be crucial in carrying games for Rangers, will he be as essential to the team as the crying out for him from fans suggest. If he signs I feel he will be a cracking peice of business but I also believe the likes of Halliday, Law, Murdoch and Holt will have a huge impact (in a quality sence).

Your right, much as I'd love to see him sign now I don't think Allans presence for Rangers will be crucial to us, especially as it's looking more like Eustace will sign and will play in the centre of midfield if fit. But as you say signing him is a much more long term priority as well as potentially being a cracking piece of business. Ironically if we can guarantee he will sign for us at the end of the season the fact that he will play every game and will basically run Hibs midfield means that we will sign a much more experienced and matured player for our return to the Premiership than we would have if he signs for us now. Thanks Hibs.

Edited by Donald, 04 August 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#52 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

who else have you seen ?

#53 Stuart2511

Stuart2511

Super Sub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

who else have you seen ?

Seen Hibs play against Rangers and seen highlights of cup games featuring sides like St Mirren & QOS who will be top four contenders. Not a great deal but still an early judgement can be made. Things will change.

#54 Stuart2511

Stuart2511

Super Sub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

Your right, much as I'd love to see him sign now I don't think Allans presence for Rangers will be crucial to us, especially as it's looking more like Eustace will sign and will play in the centre of midfield if fit. But as you say signing him is a much more long term priority as well as potentially being a cracking piece of business. Ironically if we can guarantee he will sign for us at the end of the season the fact that he will play every game and will basically run Hibs midfield means that we will sign a much more experienced and matured player for our return to the Premiership than we would have if he signs for us now. Thanks Hibs.

Totally agree mate. Like you've said, if he stays at Hibernian until next season he will get the chance to develop further so Rangers will bring in a player who will be far closer to the finished product. He's 23 and last season was his first real opportunity at guarenteed first team football, first time he has played 30 plus games in a season. It looking less likely now he'll leave by the window closing but having another quality season at Hibs will build confidence and prove it wasn't one good season. Still think a good number of goals need to be added to his game for someone of his ability.

#55 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

Rangers have a third bid knocked back by Hibs. Is there any truth that Aberdeen are interested in buying him?

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#56 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Rangers have a third bid knocked back by Hibs. Is there any truth that Aberdeen are interested in buying him?

Woudlnt be surprised Al because he is a quality player who would only enhance their team........choice between the two he is obviously oing to pick Rangers but Hibs will not sell, Aberdeen can come in with the same bid and I'm sure it will be accepted.

#57 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

Woudlnt be surprised Al because he is a quality player who would only enhance their team........choice between the two he is obviously oing to pick Rangers but Hibs will not sell, Aberdeen can come in with the same bid and I'm sure it will be accepted.

Would he go to Aberdeen though?

#58 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Why? Because they arent a rival?
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#59 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

that's what happens when you don't do as your employer asks - you get the tin tack

There is a difference between sacked and not renewed. ......

It would be hard to listen to some ballbeg owner using stats to pick a team.....

#60 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,435 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Why? Because they arent a rival?

Why would they sell to Aberdeen Hoopz and not Rangers ?

If thats what you were meaning then simply because Aberdeen are in a different league, this season is so so important for both teams and I can understand the viewpoint from Hibs but the way things are looking at the moment we look pretty strong and the playing side will only get better I would imagine........before the season started I thought Hibs would be silly to sell to us given the league situation but now I think it may not be the best for them as a club when you consider the players stance and how things are shaping up at Ibrox.

I mean they can keep Allan for this season and recieve no money for him and also still be in the same league next year, which at the moment the smart money has to be on Rangers........makes it a more difficult decision for the club becuase I cant see what good can come of it for them, they keep or sell Allan and it looks like we are just favourites for the league anyway.......also factor in he does not want to play for them, things have changed in a short few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users