27 replies to this topic

#21 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

Saturday

I’m usually slowing down at this point of the festival. I made it out of my tent at my usual 9am start time. Making sure that I don’t leave my tent without first opening a can, but I think I sat at the tent for a few hours that morning.

Heals & Shura - watched from my tent. 

Squeeze - I took a camping seat to the Pyramid for a marathon of bands, with Squeeze being first. I knew a couple of their hits, but didn’t expect that they had so much quality in depth. Definitely recommend. 

Baaba Maal - came on and gave us a tour of African music. The first two songs had me and my mate wonder what was going on, before they stepped up a gear and turned quite bluesy. They need to sort out their set order, but once up and running they were really good. I’m glad I seen them. That’s what’s special about Glastonbury. Acts like that which would have me, and others avoiding due to never hearing of them before (apart from Mumford and Sons collaboration) but turning out really good.

Wolf Alice - I seen them in a very small tent last year at Glastonbury, but I hadn’t heard their album, so wasn’t really sure about them. This year I am well versed and knew every song. Their set wasn’t as lively as I have seen on the telly from smaller stages, but still good. I would pay money to see them in their own headline show.

Madness - James disappointed me. Madness were what James should have been. The set was a little slow until a weird karaoke slot by someone I didn’t recognise, but then once that was over, it was hit after hit after hit. I’ve seen them at Glastonbury a few times now and would see them again. Suggs and co are bosses.

The last shadow puppets - I remember seeing a band called the Arctic Monkeys years ago. They had a cheeky chappy as front man. His name was Alex turner. there’s a guy with the same name in this band, but it’s not the same guy. He comes on with a white jacket over his shoulders and swings it about his head a number of times. The guy from the Arctic Monkeys is from Sheffield, but this guy is from LA. Good tunes, but what a t1t. He needs to reign himself in a little. Miles Kane was classy, as always.

The 1975 - i’m sure I seen a little of them from my tent. I think.

Churches - seen from my tent, as I prepared for the big night ahead.

Adele - Arguably the biggest pop star of the last few years, on the Saturday night at Glastonbury. What’s not to like? Vocally = superb. Songs = superb. Chat = too much. She talks too much at times. I suppose it was the nerves. Definitely deserved the headline slot and definitely nailed it. With the voice and tunes, it was easy for her.

Carl Cox - I seen the big man again, but this time in a different area. Things are a little hazy, but I definitely seen him

I can’t really comment on the wee hours on that night. I’m sure I had a good time, but I can’t really remember. It will come back to me though, so all is not lost.

#22 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

Sunday

I can’t remember what I did on Sunday morning. I think I went for a shower.

Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot 14:20 - Apart from the two of them having zero chemistry - they might as well have been singing solo sets - and Paul reading all his lyrics, they were brilliant. They have so many hits, it’s just silly. I’m sure that even someone who hadn’t heard of them before seeing them would know a lot of their stuff. It was a little drizzly, but fun.

ELO - Jeff had no banter for us, but had the tunes. Technically brilliant set, with more members than I thought. They filled the legends slot, which wasn’t quite the perfect fit after the last two years. They are legends, it’s just that the legends slot has changed a little recently. I watched them with my dad, which was nice. We watched Heaton and Abbot together prior to ELO, but it was nice here because my dad had seen ELO live many, many years ago.

Catfish and the battlement - my first time seeing them live, which is strange considering they were probably in the same field as me at least three times last year. Very good albums and very good live.

Beck - it’s probably been ten years since I last seen him live. Musically I think he has played all the instruments on at least one of his albums, so I have a lot of respect for him. Less silliness from him than when I seen him at TITP all those years ago, but I still enjoyed it. Two turntables and microphone?

Coldplay - the pinnacle. They were handing out wristbands for the gig somewhere on site, but I never seen where. I had mine from Hampden with me, just in case. Mine turned on for the first song, for a single flash, then died a death. The Glastonbury ones were better anyway, because they had more LEDs. I never got one in the end. I’ve never seen such a spectacle in all the gigs / festivals I have been to. What with the lazers and the wristbands and the confetti. Add in that the majority of the songs and singalongs and it was brilliant. Having Eavis make the request was a nice touch, especially as they did the same as their tour dates, except the tour dates just had punters asking for Coldplay tunes. Barry Gibb came out and blew us all away. The reaction to him was amazing. A definite Glastonbury moment for me. Chris finished after Up and Up (which has closed many sets on the current tour) and asked if he could play another song and who he should ask for permission. Up pops Eavis, to sing My Way. Hands down, without any doubt, my favourite ever Glastonbury moment. 11 Glastonbury festivals and that was it. He has done it his way over the years. Well done him.

I can’t recall seeing any specific DJs late that night, but I did manage to eek out the most from the final night and didn’t make it to my tent until the sun was up. 

#23 Charlie Bhoy

Charlie Bhoy

Keep on smiling.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:35 AM

Not my cup of tea these things but glad you had a fantastic time..

#24 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,425 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

When I picture Glastonbury I keep thinking about a line from Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue".

Something about "the mud and the blood and the beer".

To which of course can be added "the urine and the faeces".

Shit Creek

#25 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

I would have fancied going to see New Order, never actually seen them before.

#26 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

I would have fancied going to see New Order, never actually seen them before.

I once went to see them at t in the park, in a headline slot. I managed to get myself right down the front before they started. As in a few people from the barrier. Me and a lot of young pups, who had taste beyond their years. I was a little concerned about the general age, but then I am getting older. Then the stage setup appeared a little sparse. Very strane. New order don't rely on two turntables alone. Where was the drum kit? Next thing Tinie Tempah comes out. I was at the wrong stage. Right down the front, at the wrong stage. I don't even like Tinie Tempah. That was a few years back. I've still never seen new order.

#27 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

I once went to see them at t in the park, in a headline slot. I managed to get myself right down the front before they started. As in a few people from the barrier. Me and a lot of young pups, who had taste beyond their years. I was a little concerned about the general age, but then I am getting older. Then the stage setup appeared a little sparse. Very strane. New order don't rely on two turntables alone. Where was the drum kit? Next thing Tinie Tempah comes out. I was at the wrong stage. Right down the front, at the wrong stage. I don't even like Tinie Tempah. That was a few years back. I've still never seen new order.

too much tennents :lol:

#28 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,393 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

too much tennents :lol:

That sums up most of the festivals I have been too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glastonbury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users