The Named Person Scheme

83 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,985 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:40 PM

Have just been reading some reports about this scheme.

It doesn't in anyway affect me, but I daresay my granddaughters may be affected by it at some point in the future.

Strikes me as a symptom of the Nanny State at its worst. In fact, it's actually redolent of the type of Big Brother scheme so beloved of the ultra left.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those of our members who have children under the age of 18.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#2 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:12 PM

No idea what this is about.....
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#3 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,985 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:18 AM

No idea what this is about.....

It's something being brought in by the Scottish Government. You can google for further info.

#4 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

This piece of legislation if it is passed will seriously affect family life in Scotland mate. Although I don't know ALL the detail I've been following this quite closely via the media and honestly it is unwanted, unwelcome and a TOTAL shambles and a SERIOUS intrusion into the lifes of decent families who are parents to those children (ie under 18) who come within the SNP's scope. Every child under 18 will have a 'Named Person' allocated to them to ensure their well being. This named person as far as has been touted so far will be a Health worker, Head Teacher, Teacher...now I have read absolutely nothing as to whether these people are being ASKED to undertake this extra work or whether it will be ENFORCED upon them. The named person can oversee and interfere (if THEY deem fit) into any and every aspect of the child AND family life. They can have access to certain things that the child's parent/s cannot...ie medical information that is deemed confidential and the named person has NO requirement to inform the parent/s. Now our education and health services are stretched further than they should be at the moment....how the fuck are these departments going to perform if this scheme's responsibility is placed upon their staff to be available for thousands upon thousands of children? Nicola Sturgeon has been caught out twice either lying or being ignorant of the facts as she has said the Named Person scheme is not compulsory & that if parents don't want anything to do with it they don't have to....ie it is an entitlement and NOT compulsory. This shown to be utter nonsense because there is NO opt out for ANY parent from this scheme! The SNP eh....the nanny state...dontcha just love 'em. They want to involve themselves in every aspect of peoples lifes cos they know best.....so they think!!! 

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#5 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,985 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:36 AM

This piece of legislation if it is passed will seriously affect family life in Scotland mate. Although I don't know ALL the detail I've been following this quite closely via the media and honestly it is unwanted, unwelcome and a TOTAL shambles and a SERIOUS intrusion into the lifes of decent families who are parents to those children (ie under 18) who come within the SNP's scope. Every child under 18 will have a 'Named Person' allocated to them to ensure their well being. This named person as far as has been touted so far will be a Health worker, Head Teacher, Teacher...now I have read absolutely nothing as to whether these people are being ASKED to undertake this extra work or whether it will be ENFORCED upon them. The named person can oversee and interfere (if THEY deem fit) into any and every aspect of the child AND family life. They can have access to certain things that the child's parent/s cannot...ie medical information that is deemed confidential and the named person has NO requirement to inform the parent/s. Now our education and health services are stretched further than they should be at the moment....how the fuck are these departments going to perform if this scheme's responsibility is placed upon their staff to be available for thousands upon thousands of children? Nicola Sturgeon has been caught out twice either lying or being ignorant of the facts as she has said the Named Person scheme is not compulsory & that if parents don't want anything to do with it they don't have to....ie it is an entitlement and NOT compulsory. This shown to be utter nonsense because there is NO opt out for ANY parent from this scheme! The SNP eh....the nanny state...dontcha just love 'em. They want to involve themselves in every aspect of peoples lifes cos they know best.....so they think!!! 

It's the same with all politicians Dug; they believe that they, as the "ruling class", have the god given right to decide what's best for "the common people".

The examples of how often they get it wrong are manifold and the consequences often dire.

Prime example would be prohibition in the USA in the 20s. Then after that was proven to be a failure they decided to place a prohibition on certain drugs, once again driving the practice underground and creating a nice lucrative black market for organised crime to control.

#6 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

It's the same with all politicians Dug; they believe that they, as the "ruling class", have the god given right to decide what's best for "the common people".

The examples of how often they get it wrong are manifold and the consequences often dire.

Prime example would be prohibition in the USA in the 20s. Then after that was proven to be a failure they decided to place a prohibition on certain drugs, once again driving the practice underground and creating a nice lucrative black market for organised crime to control.

Yep, I totally agree....that is why I have taken the stance that apart from the upcoming in/out of Europe referendum and any future Scottish in/out of the UK referendum I will NOT vote in any local or national election. They (politicians) have been shown in the main to be liars, cheats and thieves.....so they can dangle for my vote!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#7 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Yep, I totally agree....that is why I have taken the stance that apart from the upcoming in/out of Europe referendum and any future Scottish in/out of the UK referendum I will NOT vote in any local or national election. They (politicians) have been shown in the main to be liars, cheats and thieves.....so they can dangle for my vote!

Good banter if they come round your door though......
Posted Image

#8 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Reading Dugs post, I believe this will have zero effect on me......

So..... no fucks are given on my part :D
Posted Image

#9 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:32 AM

Good banter if they come round your door though......

Bastion.....I've lived in my home for coming up 34 years....in that time I've had ONE....yep ONE visit from any form of political candidate call. So ye can understand why banter has been curtailed at my gaff.......................Plenty of their shitey leaflets pop through the letterbox......stuff that I've got to dispose of! Cunts, the lot of them.

#10 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,985 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

It's really a pity that the SNP has swung so far to the left. The party was much better when it was more middle of the road.

Policies like "The Named Person Scheme" will only serve to alienate the vast majority of the electorate.  

#11 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

It's really a pity that the SNP has swung so far to the left. The party was much better when it was more middle of the road.

Policies like "The Named Person Scheme" will only serve to alienate the vast majority of the electorate.  

I read an article yesterday Hairy which said that two thirds of the public are against this scheme....so by that calculation one third is either against it or undecided. Now there have been numerous parents stated publicly via the media that they are against it......yet I have to read comments by ONE parent stating that they are all for it....Funny that!

#12 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

I read an article yesterday Hairy which said that two thirds of the public are against this scheme....so by that calculation one third is either against it or undecided. Now there have been numerous parents stated publicly via the media that they are against it......yet I have to read comments by ONE parent stating that they are all for it....Funny that!

It's a fuss over nothing mate, most people will go on not having a clue a person is 'allocated' to their child as they go through life, it is more for when things go wrong for a child or their family for whatever reason if you catch my drift.  It is not meant to be intrusive and more a safeguard for kids.  I think people need to look a bit closer into what it is there for

#13 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,985 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

It's a fuss over nothing mate, most people will go on not having a clue a person is 'allocated' to their child as they go through life, it is more for when things go wrong for a child or their family for whatever reason if you catch my drift.  It is not meant to be intrusive and more a safeguard for kids.  I think people need to look a bit closer into what it is there for

Apparently some aspects of the scheme are already in operation. There have already been some worrying reports.

http://www.scotsman....ldren-1-4089077

http://www.scotsman....osals-1-4083863

Even without schemes like this there have been many cases in the past where the life of a child and a family have been blighted by over zealous social workers.

Edited by Hairy Scot, 03 April 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#14 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• 16,778 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

The theory behind it is decent enough but it goes too far. I don't agree with it. We already have avenues to help families in difficulty without basically having folk snooping and judging peoples' parenting abilities. Folk are under enough pressure during these times of severe cuts

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#15 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

Firstly...if families have a named person allocated to any of their children without being aware of it then that is basically intrusion by stealth...outrageous! Secondly....people are only aware of details supplied by the media and what the politicians have told them and imo it isn't good reading. Polictians (SNP and Lib Dems) are obviously going to say that it is for the benefit of the child without letting on about what this includes. Did you know that these named persons will have authority to enquire as to a family's finances, dietary conditions for their children, their home life activities, the childs educational and health records....ALL without having to inform the child's parents and can make recommendations to the authorities as to what course of action should be taken and parents have no course of action against this. For yourself as a dad, would you feel comfortable that decisions regarding your kids can be taken without you or your wife's knowledge? 

Now here's another thought that I mentioned in my previous post and nobody but nobody in the public area has made ANY comment on. Where are they going to get all these 'Named Persons' who will be responsible for thousand of kids? It has been said that Health workers, Head Teachers and Teachers will be involved & again nothing has been said whether this is voluntary or enforced and there will have to be checks taken on some kind of regular basis on every child....where in God's name are these people supposed to find the time for this on top of there already pushed working life? This whole scenario is a total shambles, made on the hoof with very little thought about any form of consequences. The Education & Health services are struggling at the moment both with staff shortages and finance. And add to this that Nicola Sturgeon is either not fully aware of all the facts which, in her position as First Minister, she should be or she is telling porkies. As Bundy says there are avenues to help families in difficulty and THAT is where all efforts should be targeted....NOT families who have absolutely no problems which cannot be fixed within the home and no outside assistance is required.

#16 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Firstly...if families have a named person allocated to any of their children without being aware of it then that is basically intrusion by stealth...outrageous! Secondly....people are only aware of details supplied by the media and what the politicians have told them and imo it isn't good reading. Polictians (SNP and Lib Dems) are obviously going to say that it is for the benefit of the child without letting on about what this includes. Did you know that these named persons will have authority to enquire as to a family's finances, dietary conditions for their children, their home life activities, the childs educational and health records....ALL without having to inform the child's parents and can make recommendations to the authorities as to what course of action should be taken and parents have no course of action against this. For yourself as a dad, would you feel comfortable that decisions regarding your kids can be taken without you or your wife's knowledge? 

Now here's another thought that I mentioned in my previous post and nobody but nobody in the public area has made ANY comment on. Where are they going to get all these 'Named Persons' who will be responsible for thousand of kids? It has been said that Health workers, Head Teachers and Teachers will be involved & again nothing has been said whether this is voluntary or enforced and there will have to be checks taken on some kind of regular basis on every child....where in God's name are these people supposed to find the time for this on top of there already pushed working life? This whole scenario is a total shambles, made on the hoof with very little thought about any form of consequences. The Education & Health services are struggling at the moment both with staff shortages and finance. And add to this that Nicola Sturgeon is either not fully aware of all the facts which, in her position as First Minister, she should be or she is telling porkies. As Bundy says there are avenues to help families in difficulty and THAT is where all efforts should be targeted....NOT families who have absolutely no problems which cannot be fixed within the home and no outside assistance is required.

Professional people have a lot better things to do with their time than look into things like peoples finances etc etc, you need to read between the lines and as yourself why this is coming in, a safeguard for kids, who lets remember often cant speak for themselves or identify when things are not right for them in their lives, most children and families this will not be relevant or needed, BUT it can be useful the safeguard is there just in case

#17 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

Professional people have a lot better things to do with their time than look into things like peoples finances etc etc, you need to read between the lines and as yourself why this is coming in, a safeguard for kids, who lets remember often cant speak for themselves or identify when things are not right for them in their lives, most children and families this will not be relevant or needed, BUT it can be useful the safeguard is there just in case

They 'may' have better things to be getting on with but the things that I mention are part of their curriculum. There WILL be a responsibility upon them to ensure that every part of family life is covered in order to cover their backs. I have read between the lines, as far as I can, and imo it is NOT soley about safeguarding children....it is far more sinister, a step if you will to total state control. If children have any form of problem at the moment surely you'd agree that the first step would be to talk to his/her family & if they were not comfortable with that there are other avenues. As you say this interference may not be relevant or needed BUT whether a family likes it or not the Government wishes to enforce this upon families so, if the scheme is adopted, it WILL be there. For 'problem' families and children at risk there is already a department to deal with such...the Social Work department who work hand in hand I believe with the Police and the NHS with regards to information sharing and action taken.

#18 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

They 'may' have better things to be getting on with but the things that I mention are part of their curriculum. There WILL be a responsibility upon them to ensure that every part of family life is covered in order to cover their backs. I have read between the lines, as far as I can, and imo it is NOT soley about safeguarding children....it is far more sinister, a step if you will to total state control. If children have any form of problem at the moment surely you'd agree that the first step would be to talk to his/her family & if they were not comfortable with that there are other avenues. As you say this interference may not be relevant or needed BUT whether a family likes it or not the Government wishes to enforce this upon families so, if the scheme is adopted, it WILL be there. For 'problem' families and children at risk there is already a department to deal with such...the Social Work department who work hand in hand I believe with the Police and the NHS with regards to information sharing and action taken.

Just because there are agencies to deal with 'problem' families doesnt mean all are addressed, somwe kids and families fall through the cracks

#19 achnasheen

achnasheen

Sir Raheem Sterling

• Members
  • 13,593 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:57 AM

My understanding is that it is to stop the situation where children fall between the cracks, and no care package is in place. Whether it works is another matter?

#20 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,224 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

What will this person recommend to the powers that be, if a child is reared in a poverty household to loving parents. ......?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users