• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

I thought the game deserved a match thread.

McBookie odds

Hibs 13/10

Draw 12/5

Dundee United 11/5

The game is live on the BBC with a 12:15 kick off tomorrow.

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

STRIKER Billy Mckay watched from afar as Inverness savoured William Hill Scottish Cup glory last year – now he wants to sample it for himself.

Mckay left Caley Thistle for Wigan in January 2015, just four months before John Hughes’s men lifted the famous old trophy for the first time in the club’s history.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
But the 27-year-old is far from bitter and insists the experience has just made him more determined to savour a Hampden party with Dundee United this term.

As he looked ahead to tomorrow’s semi-final against Hibs, Mckay said: “I wouldn’t change anything – I’d still leave Inverness when I did.

“I was delighted when they won the Cup and now I have a massive chance to go on and win it myself.

“If we win on Saturday we’re 90 minutes away from lifting the Cup – that’s the way we have to look at it. It’s definitely in us to win it.”

Wigan FC

Billy Mckay moved to Wigan and missed Inverness' Scottish Cup victory
Billy Mckay moved to Wigan and missed Inverness' Scottish Cup victory
United’s dire league form has left them staring relegation in the face but Mckay believes they can put that behind them to keep their Cup dream alive.

He said: “I’ve been saying all season that we shouldn’t be in the position we’re in with the players we have.

“On any day we can perform and win. Now we have to be strong mentally and do it.

“We have a massive game and a chance to get to a final so there’s a huge incentive to put in a good performance.”

“It’s 90 minutes and anything can happen – we just have to go there and make sure we leave with no regrets.

“Both teams have a lot to play for but if we’re right then I think we can win.

“We have been saying it for a while but a win on Saturday could kick us on.

“If you look at the post-split fixtures, the first one against Hamilton is huge.

“We have to try and get some momentum going from the semi-final into that game.”

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

HIBS boss Alan Stubbs last night insisted that he and his men are determined to prove the doubters wrong by having a successful end to the campaign.

The Scouser has hit back at the snipers and revealed that he was fully aware of the phrase ‘Hibsed It’.

Stubbs side have won just twice in their last 11 matches including one victory in their last eight Championship matches which had led to people once again questioning their fragility in the high pressure games.

The dismal run has derailed the Capital clubs bid for the runners-up spot as

The Edinburgh side currently trail six points behind Falkirk in third place having scored eight fewer goals although they do have two games in hand

The Englishman’s outfit return to Hampden this Saturday to face Dundee United in the first Scottish cup semi-finals.

SNS Group

Hibs manager Alan Stubbs
Only last month Hibs lost the League cup final to Ross County when they conceded a last minute goal to the Staggies

Stubbs admits that the best and only way Hibs can ram the critics words down their throats is by winning important football matches.

Stubbs said: “I think you always want to try and prove people wrong.

“In every walk of life you want to do that.

“I can understand why it (‘Hibsed It) is being said but if we won the Scottish Cup my first thought wouldn’t be to go around all the doubters individually.

“I’d be in the crowd with everybody celebrating!

“People have the right to say what they want or what they see, I can’t hang onto everybody’s word and take it personally as if it’s me.

“The best way to answer it is to do something about it.

“Then at the end of it when you have done it you don’t have to say anything, you can just look at that person and smile.

Celebration for Falkirk after Bob McHugh (not pictured) evens the score for his side (2-2)
“I think that’s the best way to answer it.

“It doesn’t anger me because that would mean people are getting to me.

“I’m aware of it because people mention it.

“There is always a lot of self-satisfaction when you do something when people doubt you. “There is nothing better.

“So we’ll see what the next couple of games brings.”

Meanwhile Stubbs revealed that he has still not decided who will be in between the sticks for Saturday’s showpiece.

Back up goalkeepers Otso Virtanen and Conrad Logan are both on stand-by to be given the nod as Mark Oxley is suspended.

Oxley picked up a ridiculous booking in the closing stages of the 2-1 quarter-final win against Inverness for trying to retrieve his contact lens which he had lost.

Stubbs insists that the Capital club had no chance of getting the yellow card rescinded and that they never even fought it.

Now Stubbs must choose between Finnish shot-stopper Virtanen, 22, who has played just two minutes in the Highlands in the cup tie and looked entirely unconvincing or risk shoving in on loan Leicester City goalie Conrad Logan, 29, who has not played a match all season.

Hibs keeper Mark Oxley is suspended
Stubbs admitted that ideally he would love to have given either goalkeeper more game time ahead of the semi-final crunch but that he couldn’t because he was still fully focused on sealing promotion from the Championship via the play-offs.

Stubbs said; “Will it be Otso or Conrad ? I have not really decided yet.

“Whoever it is going to be, whether it is Otso or whether it is Conrad, it will be down to what we feel is the right decision on the day. make representations

“It wasn’t really worth it in the end.

“We spoke about it, but it was never going to get overturned, unfortunately.

“It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to the booking.

““It is what it is.

“We’ve known about it for weeks now.

“We’ve known it was going to be either Otso or Conrad who will play on Saturday.

Ross Parker/SNS Group

Michael Duffy scores for Alloa against Hibs
“I’m just glad there hasn’t been an injury in the lead up to the game this week or potentially we’d be running around with only one keeper.

“In an ideal world, I would love to have given them more game time but the only reason we haven’t done it is because our main priority is the league.

“That would have given one of them the opportunity.

“They could have come in for the Falkirk game and made a mistake.

“You just don’t know.

“You could play on Saturday and he could have a fantastic game without even having had a game.

““We’re hoping that’s going to happen, whichever one it is.

“In fact I am hoping he is going to have a quiet game, to be honest!”

#4 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

I'm surprised that Hibs are such strong favourites.

The cup will be a welcome distraction for both teams considering their struggles in their respective leagues.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#5 boyle1875

boyle1875

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:07 AM

Got my tickets. Right now I honestly can't be bothered going. Hope that changes when I wake up and start to get ready. Usually I'm excited or nervous but I feel nothing at the moment. This season has turned to a steaming pile of Jobby and it could get even worse. On the other hand it could be the best season ever....time will tell but I'm not very hopeful.

21/05/2016 

#6 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,964 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:24 AM

Got my tickets. Right now I honestly can't be bothered going. Hope that changes when I wake up and start to get ready. Usually I'm excited or nervous but I feel nothing at the moment. This season has turned to a steaming pile of Jobby and it could get even worse. On the other hand it could be the best season ever....time will tell but I'm not very hopeful.

As a neutral for this one I hope it's an excellent action packed game and hope you enjoy your day Boyle.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#7 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

As a neutral for this one I hope it's an excellent action packed game and hope you enjoy your day Boyle.

I'd like to see the Leith Laddies down the Arabs.

Shit Creek

#8 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

I can see Hibs winning this match. Their form has been absolutely nowhere the last 6 weeks or so but for the majority of the Falkirk game last week they were back to playing the football that had their fans so excited at the start of the season, however, the collapse from a 2 goal lead with 5 mins to go will be a concern . Stubbs needs to remind the players what they have achieved in the two cups this year and the fact that they have already knocked out Premiership  Hearts, Aberdeen, Inverness, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd (3-0).

They have a few injuries to deal with though with El Alagui, Carmichael, Fontaine and McGeouch out.   Big problems with regular keeper Oxley and Keatings both suspended.

I reckon they will start with the following 442:

Logan (they also have Finland Under-21 goalkeeper Otso Virtanen, but you should really go for the experience Logan has)

Gray  Hanlon McGregor Stevenson

Fyvie

McGinn                 Boyle

Henderson

Stokes         Cummings

Key men are McGinn and Henderson for me and if they can both link the ball to Cummings and Stokes up front I can see Hibs scoring at least twice which I believe will be enough to reach the final.

Dundee Utd have a full squad apart from Durnan who is suspended, oh and Gunning who has strangely been told to fuck off on the eve of a cup semi final suggestings things are not all good in the dressing room with no nonsense Mixu at the helm. This leaves a massive hole in the heart of defence so not the best outcome to the crazy Gunning situation.....

I fancy Dundee Utd to go 2 up top aswell with Anier getting a start:

Kawashima

Knoyle Morris Dillon Dixon

Paton Demel Rankin Dow

Anier  McKay

2-1 to the Hibees

Could this be their century.........

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

If buying a train ticket to the game, consider paying for the central to mount Florida journey separately from another journey. Stirling to mount Florida return was more expensive than Stirling to queen street, then central to mount Florida returns. There was over £1 difference.

#10 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

BBC Sportscene are giving this match the full 5 mins pre match build up before KO!

#11 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

What...... there is another Semi this weekend. .....?

#12 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,434 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

Hope Utd win as I would like to meet them in the final if we manage to win tomorrow.
Would have had Hibs as certainties a while ago but recent form has been very poor indeed.......hard one to call but I still think Hibs may win this.

#13 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,964 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

It is rumoured that this is indeed correct.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#14 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

It is rumoured that this is indeed correct.

Aberdeen?

#15 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,964 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

Aberdeen?

Computer rumour says No.

#16 achnasheen

achnasheen

Sir Raheem Sterling

• Members
  • 13,593 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

No, no cup semis this weekend. Cup scrapped until next season.

#17 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

BBC Sportscene are giving this match the full 5 mins pre match build up before KO!

That's embarrassing.

#18 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,394 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

BTTS at just under evens is my bet.

#19 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Mixu is actually going for 3 -5-2

risky business!

#20 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,964 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

That's embarrassing.

Sky gave 15 mins....not much better.

Poor crowd....about half the capacity it was said on radio.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibs, hibernian, dundee united, scottish cup, william hill, mcbookie, bbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users