Photo

Should Scottish league one and league two be Regionalised?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Renationalisation of Scottish league one and league two be ? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Should league one and league two in Scottish football be Regionalisation?

1. Yes (2 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

International

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

your thoughts?

If Yes should it be regionalised on

a:-  East west basis?

b:-  North to South basis?

Edited by Stuart Sutherland, 19 May 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#2 pandamonk

pandamonk

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

your thoughts?

I considered it before, but I don't think it's a good idea.

#3 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think a West of Scotland league is required to go along with South of Scotland, East of Scotland and Highland leagues would be good.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#4 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 16,904 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

your thoughts?

NO!

Capture

#5 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 4,103 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

Absolutely yes and it should be North / South. Midweek league games between part time clubs doing 600 mile round trips is just madness!!

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#6 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

International

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Regionalisation of the SPFL's league 1 and league 2 would mean in more Forfar v Arbroath type matches and less Berwick rangers Elgin city type of matches.

Whether that is a good or bad thing I will let you be the judge of it!

it would certainly reduce the level of resources required to get to away matches in the season for clubs (in the bottom tier(s) of senior Scottish football).

would more local derby's increase crowd number at matches in the bottom tier?

Edited by Stuart Sutherland, 22 May 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#7 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

International

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

"I believe the lower leagues should be regionalised. Travelling near the length of the country, like to Elgin City-Berwick Rangers (a round trip of 471.5 miles) in front of paltry crowds is farcical (especially if it was a midweek fixture)," 

Edited by Stuart Sutherland, 22 May 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#8 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

International

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Rationalization
"The Scottish Professional football League [SPFL's] league 1 & League 2 must be permanelty regionalised now. Travelling near the length of Scotland, like for the fixture Elgin City v Annan/Elgin City v Annan (a round trip of 519 miles) in front of paltry crowds is (especially but not just if it is a midweek fixture) farcical"! 

Far better to have more local fixtures like Forfar v Monrose /Montrose v Forfar type of fixtures (involving a small(er) round travel tip of 17.5 miles) as it is more attractive easier/achievable option for fans (of both clubs) to get to at any time of the week.  

The burdensome resources required with travelling the near length of Scotland (especially but not just for part time and amateur teams) to away fixtures in the SPFL is the main reason why the likes of Brora Rangers FC would rather remain in their local (regionalised) Highland league and do not want to be part of the Senior SPFL League set-up. 

All for now guys.

End

#9 Perry Pie

Perry Pie

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

I voted no.

If regionalisation of the league happened I would suggest that three teams would have to be promoted/relegated into the Chamionship. The two winners plus 1 more from playoffs. I think three is too many in and out of the Championship (a league of only 10 teams).

Maybe it could work with 14 teams in the Championship, playing each other 3 times (3 up and down with the League). The League would be 2 divisions of 8 (east/west or North/South). Teams play the other teams in thier division 3 times, teams in the other division twice. (37 games). Winniers promoted, teams finishing 2/3 into the playoffs for third promotion spot. Does not eliminate long travel, but it is reduced a bit (if that is the objective).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users