• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Scottish Championship club St Mirren have appointed Jack Ross as their new manager.

The 40-year-old, who is leaving League One outfit Alloa Athletic, will be introduced to the media on Wednesday.

Ross, who had a two-year spell in the Buddies defence, was appointed manager by Alloa in December 2015.

He told St Mirren's website: "I have fond memories of my time in Paisley as a player and can't wait to get started."

The Buddies, who sit bottom of their table, sacked former Rangers midfielder Alex Raeearlier this month.

St Mirren chairman Gordon Scott, who bought the club in July in association with a fans group, said: "I was very impressed with Jack when we got a chance to meet and am delighted to have him on board as our new manager.

"One of the big plus points for me was Jack being with Hearts at a time when their supporters got involved in the ownership of their club."

Although he was unable to prevent Alloa being relegated from the Championship last season, Ross signed a new one-year contract this summer and they presently sit in third place.

Ross, whose Alloa side won their first 10 games of the season, was a full-back with Clyde, Hartlepool United, Falkirk, St Mirren and Hamilton Academical.

He started his coaching career as assistant manager at Dumbarton before taking over the development team at Hearts.

Alloa have yet to comment other than a website statement thanking Jack for his services and wishing him luck in his new job.

#2 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,824 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

Heard wee Alex Rae had one of the better win ratios than guys before him, wasnt given a lot of time in the job and it was always going to be difficult for the saints when they went down.

Said it at the time they could struggle and may be there for a while and that looks like it may be longer than i first thought.
New man will have to implement his style and start getting points on the board.......going to be a tough old slog.

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,344 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

He was doing a good job at Alloa, so no surprise he was on their radar.

First task, survival in the championship.

#4 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,358 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

he has done well at Alloa no doubt, but in relative terms supported by dough from an ambitious chairman. No one doubts the St Mirren ambition but will it be backed up with money to bring in the quality needed.

Ross, as we saw what he did at in the game at Celtic Park, is good at setting teams up to be hard to beat - joint highest goals conceded in the league - but its at the other end that improvements are needed - avg of 1.125 goals per game.

Wish him al the best

#5 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,260 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:15 AM

he has done well at Alloa no doubt, but in relative terms supported by dough from an ambitious chairman. No one doubts the St Mirren ambition but will it be backed up with money to bring in the quality needed.

Ross, as we saw what he did at in the game at Celtic Park, is good at setting teams up to be hard to beat - joint highest goals conceded in the league - but its at the other end that improvements are needed - avg of 1.125 goals per game.

Wish him al the best

Is that not an oxymoron?

Edited by Hairy Scot, 05 October 2016 - 06:16 AM.

Common sense

#6 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,089 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

Wish him al the best

I was happy with Gus, Danny and even the appointment of Ian Murray which goes to show that I am not a very good judge.

Jack Ross, to me, is a signing similar to the latter names.

This does represent the way Management appointments seem to go these days.  Jack Ross has gone a handful of games unbeaten and now he's in the frame for a job with a team that should have SPFL aspirations.  I understand that the more success they have the more expensive they become but.....

Funny old game.  I'd have gone with Gus who is reliable but may have been more expensive but as a Saints fan I honestly hope Jack can stop the rot which has set in since we won the League Cup and especially since the appointment of Tommy Craig which was a disgrace!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users