• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

I ve been saying for quite sometime he is a manager who is struggling to handle the pressure that goes with managing one of the Big Glasgow clubs. I heard recently on Clyde that Delia has admitted the job at Celtic was too much for him and it was having an adverse affect on his health. He did the right thing in going when he did .. I believe some say he should have gone sooner.

What do the SFF posters think? Should Warburton stay or should he go?

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#2 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,741 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

I ve been saying for quite sometime he is a manager who is struggling to handle the pressure that goes with managing one of the Big Glasgow clubs. I heard recently on Clyde that Delia has admitted the job at Celtic was too much for him and it was having an adverse affect on his health. He did the right thing in going when he did .. I believe some say he should have gone sooner.

Not seen much of your games but with the money spent he should have brought in better IMO garner for example 1.6m or whatever it was , you could have got better , if it were me id want him there til end of season before changing
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#3 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,741 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

Just been promoted too and gers fans , well some want instant success but they need to be patient ffs they are 3rd in the table
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#4 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

I think right now he has to be given a little bit of time but he has made a helluva lot of bumbling errors in team selection. People say the manager knows best as he sees the players in training and while he may know the players best its not what they do in training that should determine that, its what they do on the competitive field of play that matters.

Time and again he has under estimated the game in this country, under estimated the opposition and under estimated the threat certain teams carry. He has picked players in games they are clearly not ready for and I could give countless examples as I know you could yourself Trav.

The latest one was giving a starting place to Crooks, ok the midfield may have been a little thin due to injuries and what not but there are options available to him and some rather decent ones too. Mckay for example has CM stamped all over him but Warburton chooses to play a guy who has only played 15 minutes or so competitive football and that was over a month ago. It smacks of either ignorance, arrogance, or simply not having a clue about your own players but I think its a little bit of all 3.

There is no question we have players that are more than capable of finishing 2nd in this league but the other night they struggled to pass to their own team and imo that is down to how the manager has prepared the team. Look at Hearts on the other hand, strong, assured, brave and going for the jugular. Now I know you can lose games and its just not your night but last night was not one of those nights, something seems not quite right and its the manner of the defeat rather than just the defeat that gives me the greatest cause for concern. He said he knew how they would play but had no answer for it, Im sorry I cant accept that, he underestimated the threat Hearts carry and that is not acceptable.

Do I think he can turn it around, yes I believe he can because at the end of the day we have actually played some decent football even though we haven't been getting the results. Perhaps had we picked up points in the games we should have won then confidence and momentum could have been so different. At crucial times the team have failed to deliver and last night was a crucial game, having the chance to pull away from Hearts and Aberdeen while meeting Aberdeen at the weekend.

The next two games will tell us all a lot about Warburton and this Rangers team but I do think he deserves a bit of time despite his stubbornness to change style and actually access the opposition properly.

#5 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

For me it is still too early to be  talking about sacking the manager but at the moment he isn't doing himself any favours. I do think he is struggling with the size of the job. I remember we got him and it was seen by many as a bit of a coup for our club. Reminded me of the time we got Paul Le Guen. Was really excited about the future under such a well thought of manager. 

His signings have been hit and miss. Not going to go through them 1 by 1 but there are a couple i want to talk about. First of all Philip Senderos. Why? Not good enough and he will be on a very decent wage. As a club Rangers simply cannot afford mistakes like this. Obviously the other is Joey Barton. I think this signing is the single biggest mistake of his time at Rangers and the way he handled the volatile Scouser and the whole saga was just poor. Obviously we don't know but i believe in the future it will come out that Barton had more support with certain players than we think. I just look at that team and think they are a split dressing room. It certainly is not the happy together dressing room of last season and i think Warburton v Barton has something to do with it.

We have seen some weird team selections. No MoH for months then he gives him a run out and he was excellent then one average game and dropped. No Forrester for quite a while then he scores a late winner and now he is back in the first XI. Dodoo nowhere near first choice and he comes on scores a double and now he is thrown into the starting line up away to Hearts!! Kranjcar away to Celtic. Crooks first start away to Hearts. I am just your average punter but even i can see just how ridiculous this is. I am convinced he simply doesn't know his first choice team!! 

The Aberdeen game has gone from a big game to a Huge Game!! Not a must win but i would say a must not lose game!! Then straight in to Hearts again and if we lose on Saturday the pressure on the manager for the Hearts game will be huge.

I honestly think if we were to lose these games and then a big loss to Celtic on Hogmany that he may well just walk away. I sincerely hope he doesn't as i still believe that given time he can turn this around but the question will be will he want to stay and fight his way through this.

We also have to remember that Kranjcar and Rossiter being long term injuries have not helped at all. The quicker we get Rossiter back the better.

Finally and maybe most worrying is the managers loyalty to Tavernier. I realise he fits his system but i have had enough. Not good enough defensively and we have a better defender in Hodson already at the club. 

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#6 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:19 AM

I still fully support Warburton and think it's pretty poor that so many Rangers fans have turned on him so quickly. Part of the reason for that I believe is because of the quality of football that the team played last year and consequently the unreasonable expectation (and I have to admit I'm as guilty as anyone) that the success we had could be repeated in the Premiership. Outplaying Celtic in the semi just increased our unrealistic confidence even more. We need to be patient and that's not a quality we've needed much in the past . 

That said I agree that Warburton has obviously underestimated the quality of the opposition in the SPL and even been naΓ―ve when it comes to team selection, as has been pointed out above. He does need to reconsider his philosophy and accept that in a lot of games just doing plan A better with this group of players is just not going to work. He needs to acknowledge sooner rather than later that a Plan B and even a Plan C is essential for us to start winning games.

I also think that it's easy to be too critical about his signings. Barton was a significant coup and almost universally praised by pundits and fans alike. It obviously didn't work but if he had produced the form he had last year I don't think we would be having this discussion and we might even still be in touch with Celtic. I agree Senderos has been a disaster and was clearly a panic move, but when you consider the financial limitations Warburton has made a number of very shrewd acquisitions.  For me the jury is still out when it comes to the one big spend he has made. Garner is a better player than we've seen so far and would probably be the big beneficiary if Warburton did change his tactics and go with 2 up front. 

Overall I would like to see Warburton be given the full season to prove he has the ability to learn and to adapt to the challenges of the Premiership and managing such a big club although I can't see that happening. We have to remember that he is a relatively inexperienced manager. If he is as clever as we thought he was and as pragmatic as he claims to be he will be able to turn things around. And if he's not then he better have thick skin cos things could turn nasty pretty quickly. 

#7 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

Length of the posts show the feelings with Rangers fans here - and even amongst them there is a difference of opinion.

There arer two aspects - football and leadership. The football side he seems inflexible and I dont think a man with his intellegence underestimates opposition or quality here. Two years ago when Hearts won the Championship with a fraction of the budget sho ould have been a wake up that his team need to compete on the park as nothing will be handed to them. Inflexibility of selection and tactics is also very clear.

Leadership I have the biggest concern about. I think he comes across as flippant at times, defensive of questions and is conveying the impression that he is not in charge. The Barton affair was a total embarrassment for him and to be honest Scottish football in the way they went about their business dealing with what should have been dealt with privately and quickly. A laughing stock - though as far as Barton is concerned it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Warburton is only doing what other sthought - including some rangers fans - in terms of consolidating in year 1 in top 4 and building from there. Expectation levels from fans, as was the case with deilia, will see him resign at some point this season in my opinion

#8 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

I meant to add to my post above the signs of the pressure getting to Warburton. For the first time since taking charge of Rangers the manager has been on the wrong end of criticism, serious criticism. Barton openly criticised him and was chased out the club. Sutton criticised him and he refused to speak to BT Sport. Neil McCann criticised him and Warburton immediately public hits back at him. I am sure there are other examples but these are the 3 i can think of. This is not the actions of a Rangers manager!! 

On top of the public criticism i am sure , reading between the lines, that the Board have left him in no doubt what they think of his signings and the teams performances

#9 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

Those moaning about Warburton should consider the concept of being a true supporter.

#10 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Those moaning about Warburton should consider the concept of being a true supporter.

He and the team will get my full support when I'm at the game but if things happen that damage the team then sometimes they need to be said.
Rangers should be performing better, nit everyone will agree with that but that is their choice. Just because he is the manager is does not mean he cant be criticised.

He has made a number of glaring mistakes but instead of taking note and learning from these situations he has a go at the press in this country. Trav and chappy are right, he may be all about repsect and dignity but he does not handle questions about the negative side of things too well and that is something that comes with the territory when all is not rosey.....especially at a big club.

#11 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Bottom line is supporters are perfectly entitled to criticise....some will agree, some will not. However as Cam says....both the gaffer and team will get the fans support during games.....there is no other way.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#12 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

From a St Mirren 'supporter' πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

#13 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 18,296 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Criticising the team and/or the manager does not mean that you are not a true supporter.

Shit Creek

#14 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

Those that are most entitled to an open opinion are indeed the season ticket holders.

A couple of wins in the next two games it will be The Magic Hat return. Such is the fickle nature of football

#15 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

Those that are most entitled to an open opinion are indeed the season ticket holders.

A couple of wins in the next two games it will be The Magic Hat return. Such is the fickle nature of football

But it would just be papering over the cracks Chappy. What he needs to do is learn from previous mistakes and show that he can adapt his tactics to counter other teams. Etc Etc 

#16 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

But it would just be papering over the cracks Chappy. What he needs to do is learn from previous mistakes and show that he can adapt his tactics to counter oth

he will have more chance to adapt when he starts playing teams for the second time, but pressure defo on the man

#17 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

he will have more chance to adapt when he starts playing teams for the second time, but pressure defo on the man

A lot has been made about his failures against the top clubs. We have played them away from home. These next 2 games are huge.

#18 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

From a St Mirren 'supporter'

A loyal St. Mirren supporter, something you can't question.

I've seen some real dross and yet so many years on here I am.

#19 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

A loyal St. Mirren supporter, something you can't question.

I've seen some real dross and yet so many years on here I am.

You ll remember well the way Danny Lennon was treated?

#20 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

You ll remember well the way Danny Lennon was treated?

I do, but not by me. I was fine with Danny, Gus and various others. Tommy Craig is the mistake we still pay for. Utter dross but I still turned up when I could.

Edited by Hunterian, 03 December 2016 - 07:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mark warburton, rangers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users