• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

Just saw another example of how unfair the "miss" rule in snooker can be.

Liam Highfield made a number of perfectly good attempts to get out of a snooker but each was deemed, wrongly in my opinion, a miss by the referee.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#2 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,034 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:20 PM

Yep its a silly rule and time to go with the times , also a timer per shot IMO should be introduced , they do it in a tourney or did before and it makes it more enjoyable
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#3 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Don't watch much snooker these days but I have seen some, what I thought were fantastic, efforts to get out of a snooker and the ball has missed the object ball by a very minimal distance and 'A Miss' was given and I've been like..."Get to fuck ref"....I'd love to know what the criteria is for awarding a miss (apart from it being down to the ref's discretion).

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#4 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

A miss appears to be a miss intended or not. Thems the rules for both players

#5 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

A miss appears to be a miss intended or not. Thems the rules for both players

doesn't make it correct though.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#6 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

I think the rule is fair enough. If a player tries to be fancy by going via cushions to try and ensure that they connect, while also leaving the cue ball, or object ball safe, then they deserve to be punished. If they don't want to take the risk of being punished, they could just hit the ball directly.

#7 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Don't watch much snooker these days but I have seen some, what I thought were fantastic, efforts to get out of a snooker and the ball has missed the object ball by a very minimal distance and 'A Miss' was given and I've been like..."Get to fuck ref"....I'd love to know what the criteria is for awarding a miss (apart from it being down to the ref's discretion).

I thought a miss was when a player deliberately avoided the easiest route to try and keep the cue ball or object ball safe. 

#8 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

I think the rule is fair enough. If a player tries to be fancy by going via cushions to try and ensure that they connect, while also leaving the cue ball, or object ball safe, then they deserve to be punished. If they don't want to take the risk of being punished, they could just hit the ball directly.

I thought a miss was when a player deliberately avoided the easiest route to try and keep the cue ball or object ball safe. 

There are occasions when using cushions to approach the object ball is totally necessary. I've seen occasions when the cue ball has missed by an inch or so and been given a miss.

#9 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I dont mind the rule as you normally get the guy who is trying to sneakily get out of a snooker by just touching the ball he is going for and leaving it right close up. rightly called a miss because he didn't hit it. (i.e. he would have benefited if he had just touched it) 

#10 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,976 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

The rule comes into force when a player, usually trying to escape a taxing snooker, fails to make contact with the object ball. So far, so fair enough – however, the referee can simply call a 'foul' for this, as with any other error that results in a penalty.

The additional miss call signifies that the referee doesn't believe the player made a "good enough attempt" at hitting the ball in question.

Snooker's lawmakers resisted enforcing the miss rule for this reason – it implies that a player's shot selection is disingenuous; at worst, they are cheating. The penalty for such a transgression is that, if their opponent wishes, they can be made to replay the shot indefinitely, racking up successive penalties.

The miss rule has long been a bone of contention among professionals, with players unsure exactly where to direct their ire. The constant repetition of a dazzling feat of geometry that finishes a millimetre off course is enough to drive the mildest competitor into cue-snapping frustration. Yet, largely, referees are spared the wrath of the wronged.

Full article here:- https://www.theguard...ooker-miss-rule

#11 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,608 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Pissy rule.....get rid

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#12 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

There are occasions when using cushions to approach the object ball is totally necessary. I've seen occasions when the cue ball has missed by an inch or so and been given a miss.

I agree that cushions are sometimes required, even when it's the simpliest, easiest route. I thought the miss rule only came in when the simplest route was avoided.

#13 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

A interesting article, thanks.

My issue is that it goes on about the rule as if it's something that happens in every game and for multiple shots at a time. I've never found it to be a big deal. 

#14 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

A interesting article, thanks.

My issue is that it goes on about the rule as if it's something that happens in every game and for multiple shots at a time. I've never found it to be a big deal. 

It happens quite often and often results in a player losing 12 or 16 points. In the incident I mentioned in my opening post the ball was put back 5 times.

#15 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

Just saw another example of how unfair the "miss" rule in snooker can be.

Liam Highfield made a number of perfectly good attempts to get out of a snooker but each was deemed, wrongly in my opinion, a miss by the referee.

Seems as if a lot of folks here have never set foot inside a snooker hall or played the game.

If a player plays a deliberate or not miss in normal play then it is normal the ref calls "miss" and a foul, the opponent then has the choice to continue play or to have the ball replaced in its original spot.

A miss is most often seen when a player is playing out of a snookered position ie, he has no direct line of play between the white ball and the object ball and must try either to play round the snooker "screwing the ball" or play of 1 or more cushions.

In the case mentioned above (Liam Highfield) he might have tried and made a number of perfectly good attempts, but the result is he did not hit the object ball so the shot is rightly called a miss and a foul.

In any case the ref and players perfectly know and understand the rules, and it's very rare you will see an argument over a missed ball.

#16 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Seems as if a lot of folks here have never set foot inside a snooker hall or played the game.

If a player plays a deliberate or not miss in normal play then it is normal the ref calls "miss" and a foul, the opponent then has the choice to continue play or to have the ball replaced in its original spot.

A miss is most often seen when a player is playing out of a snookered position ie, he has no direct line of play between the white ball and the object ball and must try either to play round the snooker "screwing the ball" or play of 1 or more cushions.

In the case mentioned above (Liam Highfield) he might have tried and made a number of perfectly good attempts, but the result is he did not hit the object ball so the shot is rightly called a miss and a foul.

In any case the ref and players perfectly know and understand the rules, and it's very rare you will see an argument over a missed ball.

well said!

#17 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,976 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

In my case your first statement does not apply.

I played at a reasonably high level in my younger days and can still compile the occasional double figure breaks.

I also have a good knowledge of the rules.

I agree that although many in the game feel that the rule is ill conceived the players do not publicly object and no criticism is ever aimed at the referees.

But what is at issue, as I pointed out in Post 10, is that the rule requires a subjective decision by the referee on the intent of the player when the shot is played.

#18 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,300 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

In my case your first statement does not apply.

I played at a reasonably high level in my younger days and can still compile the occasional double figure breaks.

I also have a good knowledge of the rules.

I agree that although many in the game feel that the rule is ill conceived the players do not publicly object and no criticism is ever aimed at the referees.

But what is at issue, as I pointed out in Post 10, is that the rule requires a subjective decision by the referee on the intent of the player when the shot is played.

Glad to hear you play decent snooker and understand the rules.
As for myself, had a wicked cue in my younger days but now my eyesight keeps me off the tables.
I agree with a part of your argument concerning the rule of "the intent of the player", my argument is that when pro's play a shot it is automatically perceived by the referee as a shot to hit the object ball, if the object ball is not hit then the ref is obliged (again by the rules) to call a miss.
I am not aware if there is a rule that limits the number of misses.

#19 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,976 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

Glad to hear you play decent snooker and understand the rules.
As for myself, had a wicked cue in my younger days but now my eyesight keeps me off the tables. I know the problem. Lately I find it easier to play pool. (At least I can still score a couple of beers from the other old farts. :twisted: )
I agree with a part of your argument concerning the rule of "the intent of the player", my argument is that when pro's play a shot it is automatically perceived by the referee as a shot to hit the object ball, if the object ball is not hit then the ref is obliged (again by the rules) to call a miss. My understanding is that he is not "obliged". It is at his discretion.

I am not aware if there is a rule that limits the number of misses. Nor am I.

The thing is that it would seem that there was no good reason for bringing in such a rule.

As things stood, if a player was disadvantaged (ie - snookered) by an opponent's foul then in addition to any penalty points he had the option of taking a free ball or having his opponent play again.

Nobody benefits from the miss rule - it's fair play gone mad, and has been integral to two of the sport's more regrettable recent moments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users