• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

As a lifelong Saint it has been necessary to get used to the highs and lows, far more of the latter.

At present though just as the Championship was beginning to look like a passport to the First Division we look as if we may be trying to dig ourselves out of the hole. It's now 4 wins from 5 since our new players arrived.

Lennon was glowing in his praise saying we're the best team they've played this season.

Do you guys think we can do it?

Edited by Hunterian, 02 March 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#2 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Gonna be difficult H. Still 5 points adrift at the foot albeit with a game in hand over Ayr. Personally I wouldn't bet on them doing it.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#3 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,374 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

As a lifelong Saint it has been necessary to get used to the highs and lows, far more of the latter.
At present though just as the Championship was beginning to look like a passport to the First Division we look as if we may be trying to dig ourselves out of the hole. It's now 4 wins from 5 since our new players arrived.
Lennon was glowing in his praise saying we're the best team they've played this season.
Do you guys think we can do it?

The difficult obstacle for the Saints was having real big teams in the league at the same time, Hearts, Hibs and the real heavy weights Rangers while having good quality teams surrounding them such as Falkirk, Morton, QOTS etc.

At the time it may have been you who asked how they would get on and I said they will be in real trouble due to the teams there and will find themselves trapped in the division for a while due to realistically only one team going up.

Third year and looks like I was bang on the money, it was all about how the could survive and develop during the inevitable 3 years of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs going up because that was always going to happen.
The poor decisions at the club have really transmitted onto the pitch however and chopping and changing the manager was just madness imo.
A good squad was there and stability was needed.

I think a decent squad is still there and I believe they are a better team than Ayr, Dunfermiline and Dumbarton so yeah I think they can survive and then really push next year as it should be a really even championship.

#4 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Gonna be difficult H. Still 5 points adrift at the foot albeit with a game in hand over Ayr. Personally I wouldn't bet on them doing it.

Next game in League is Raith Rovers, wonder if they'll have a keeper by then?

Celtic on Sunday will be a welcome relief from League duty but that relief may well be short lived dependent on how Celtic feel.  We have an excellent cup record though.

#5 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

The difficult obstacle for the Saints was having real big teams in the league at the same time, Hearts, Hibs and the real heavy weights Rangers while having good quality teams surrounding them such as Falkirk, Morton, QOTS etc.

At the time it may have been you who asked how they would get on and I said they will be in real trouble due to the teams there and will find themselves trapped in the division for a while due to realistically only one team going up.

Third year and looks like I was bang on the money, it was all about how the could survive and develop during the inevitable 3 years of Rangers, Hearts and Hibs going up because that was always going to happen.
The poor decisions at the club have really transmitted onto the pitch however and chopping and changing the manager was just madness imo.
A good squad was there and stability was needed.

I think a decent squad is still there and I believe they are a better team than Ayr, Dunfermiline and Dumbarton so yeah I think they can survive and then really push next year as it should be a really even championship.

That's the way I feel too Cam, the new players have made a big difference.  We've got Raith on Wednesday and they look shaky thanks to Gary Locke's magic!

#6 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

That's the way I feel too Cam, the new players have made a big difference.  We've got Raith on Wednesday and they look shaky thanks to Gary Locke's magic!

Big Yogi will shake them up....

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#7 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Next game in League is Raith Rovers, wonder if they'll have a keeper by then?

Celtic on Sunday will be a welcome relief from League duty but that relief may well be short lived dependent on how Celtic feel.  We have an excellent cup record though.

Ryan Stevenson to keep his place!

Seriously though.....Will it be a welcome relief though mate? On paper that could be a barra load of goals for Celtic (hopefully not for Saints sake) and that may knock the wind out of the team's sails after you decent run.

#8 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,773 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Watched them against TNS and they were excellent second half and they were no mugs. I actually fancy the Buddies chances of staying up. 

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#9 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

I wonder if you would care to reconsider Dug?

1 point behind Ayr who do now have a game in hand over us.  Jack Ross certainly talks a good game but it's more credible when we start to play a good game.  We're still rock bottom though so it's still all up in the Ayr (ahem)!

We  have defensive issues but the ship is steadier than it has been for some time.

I've got my Cup Final ticket for the Challenge Cup with my Son and Dad also both attending, 3 generations at the same game.  The power of football!!

#10 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,579 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

I wonder if you would care to reconsider Dug?

1 point behind Ayr who do now have a game in hand over us.  Jack Ross certainly talks a good game but it's more credible when we start to play a good game.  We're still rock bottom though so it's still all up in the Ayr (ahem)!

We  have defensive issues but the ship is steadier than it has been for some time.

I've got my Cup Final ticket for the Challenge Cup with my Son and Dad also both attending, 3 generations at the same game.  The power of football!!

Tbh haven't checked recently....I'll wait till the game in hand is over and done with. When is the cup final mate?

#11 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

Tbh haven't checked recently....I'll wait till the game in hand is over and done with. When is the cup final mate?

It's a week tomorrow, 12:30 kick off at Fir Park.

#12 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,579 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

It's a week tomorrow, 12:30 kick off at Fir Park.

you'll enjoy....

#13 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,773 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

There were a few us thinking of attending the game but we are going to golf show and Fir Park is an absolute midden of stadium and Motherwell as a whole is a toilet. I cant think of a worse place to hold the final

You say The Buddies have defensive problems. I always thought the young lad Baird(?) looked a decent prospect and ex Rangers McKenzie looked as if he was doing well and chipping in with valuable goals.

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#14 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

There were a few us thinking of attending the game but we are going to golf show and Fir Park is an absolute midden of stadium and Motherwell as a whole is a toilet. I cant think of a worse place to hold the final

You say The Buddies have defensive problems. I always thought the young lad Baird(?) looked a decent prospect and ex Rangers McKenzie looked as if he was doing well and chipping in with valuable goals.

It's pity that Davis is now out for the season but Jack Ross has cover, could be Webster.

We've sold over 4,000 tickets for Saturday with an allocation of 4,600, United are still in the 2,000s.  I think that the Saints support are providing a strong validation for the progress under the new regime.  Actions speak louder than words so let's get this trophy won then dig ourselves out of the shit!

#15 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

you'll enjoy....

We will, our cup record in recent years is pretty good.

#16 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

Decent turnout for The Buddies. Not a dig at you or other loyal Buddies but I wish those that choose to sit in Last Post, Bankhouse and Bull all day Saturday blaming the Old Firm for all that is wrong with Scottish football would get off their arses and go along to New St Mirren Park !!

#17 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,773 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

We will, our cup record in recent years is pretty good.

The draw hasn't exactly been kind to the Buddies. Hibs away in round 1 and then TNS who were no mugs

#18 Kling Klong

Kling Klong

The Token Cypriot

• 1,115 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hunterian,

What are your impressions of Stelios Demetriou thus far?

Scored a couple of cracking goals against Hibs. And it seems (from afar) that he has settled in quite nicely with the club.

#19 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hunterian,

What are your impressions of Stelios Demetriou thus far?

Scored a couple of cracking goals against Hibs. And it seems (from afar) that he has settled in quite nicely with the club.

I haven't seen enough of him Klong and he was warming the bench today. Like most of Jack's signings though he shows promise.

#20 David Malcolm

David Malcolm

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

I hope the saints avoid relegation cos it's my wife's team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users