• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

The Royal and Ancient and United States Golf Association are proposing a raft of rule changes to golf, to me it seems about right as they have not really changed anything for many years 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t/golf/39120332

Among the changes under consideration are plans to:

• Remove any penalty for accidentally moving your ball.
  • Relax the protocols for taking free or penalty drops, with the ball dropped from only an inch above the ground, rather than shoulder height.
  • Use fixed distances (20 or 80 inches) rather than club lengths to measure areas where a ball should be dropped.
  • Reduce the time allowed to search for a lost ball from five to three minutes.
  • Allow putting on the green with the flagstick left in the hole.
  • Allow players to repair spike marks and animal damage on greens.
  • Automatically allow the use of distance measuring devices.
  • Ban caddies from lining up players as they prepare to hit.
  • Recommend no player takes more than 40 seconds to hit a shot.
  • Encourage players in strokeplay to implement "ready golf" rather than waiting until it is their turn to hit.
  • Empower committees to set a maximum score for a hole (such as double par or triple bogey) to allow a player to pick up and move to the next hole.

The last one here will be good for the average golfer I reckon, as nobody likes a double figure hole bursting your scorecard.

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

There's some significant stuff in there. Are they concerned that the sport is losing its appeal to some?

#3 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

I like the Ready Golf ruling. Nothing worse than having to ask who is furthest from the pin. Complete waste of time.

Also the drop rule. If you are on an incline and dropping from shoulder height the ball just runs away from you. Dropping from an inch will help to stop this

Use of measuring devices is controversial is it not? I ll need to go and buy when of those watch thingies i am always slagging my mates for having  :ph34r:

Slightly off topic. Golf Show tickets are on sale. It is at the SECC 24th - 26th of March

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#4 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

The fixed distance rather than club lengths doesn't really suit the casual golfer.

#5 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

I would have liked to see them introducing the "Boo" rule where you are allowed to shout Boo once a round to put someone off in their back swing

#6 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

the one that was highlighted in the video about taking a 2 shot drop out of a bunker could be good although we all love those situations when your pal is having a mare in a bunker!

#7 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

I would have liked to see them introducing the "Boo" rule where you are allowed to shout Boo once a round to put someone off in their back swing

I read that as a disapproving boo, not a boo that gives someone a fright. It's always ok to do the former :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users