• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

I only caught the second half, but I really enjoyed it. Sterling's opportunity stands out for me. He was approaching the goalie, albeit at an angle, and seemed reluctant to hit a shot, and instead hit a horrible bobbly pass to Aguero. A player of his quality shouldn't have doubts about his ability to score from there.

#22 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

Great game last night, Monaco are a very strong and athletic team all over the park which I think City lack. The Portuguese chap Bernardo Silva was a standout again.

#23 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

How many of that Monaco team will be sold in the Summer?
They must have some scouting network to keep finding these youngsters.
They prove you don't need 70,000 every week to be successful 😏

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#24 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,614 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

How many of that Monaco team will be sold in the Summer?
They must have some scouting network to keep finding these youngsters.
They prove you don't need 70,000 every week to be successful

A lot of European scouting systems put English club's scouting system to shame

The South Americans and Africans they buy at a pittance through the years

Romario,original Ronaldo,Essien,Drogba,Suarez etc

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#25 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,251 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

A lot of European scouting systems put English club's scouting system to shame
The South Americans and Africans they buy at a pittance through the years
Romario,original Ronaldo,Essien,Drogba,Suarez etc

These players tend to be signed with clubs with no restrictions regarding permits and what not Norn.

Romario, Suarez and in particular Ronaldo could never have been signed by Clubs in the UK due to the work permit restrictions on non Europeans. To be eligible for one you had to be an established international player which non of these guys were prior to signing for PSV and Ajax.

Clubs in Holland, Spain, Portugal and a few other countries in Europe did not have the same problems Rangers, Man U etc would face trying to sign a young player from South America

Edited by Camshy, 16 March 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#26 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

Bastard!! I was thinking 2-1 Monaco and even had a Monaco and Dundee United double. No wonder i drink!!

NO!....you drink because you are weak!

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#27 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,614 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

These players tend to be signed with clubs with no restrictions regarding permits and what not Norn.
Romario, Suarez and in particular Ronaldo could never have been signed by Clubs in the UK due to the work permit restrictions on non Europeans. To be eligible for one you had to be an established international player which non of these guys were prior to signing for PSV and Ajax.
Clubs in Holland, Spain, Portugal and a few other countries in Europe did not have the same problems Rangers, Man U etc would face trying to sign a young player from South America

Romario made his Brazil debut in 87,PSV signed him in 88 tho i know what you're saying

I remember Portsmouth were offered Drogba for £2m before his chelsea days

A young Essien was offered cheaply to an English club

I believe if uk clubs spotted South Americans playing for their hometown club,theywould come to some arrangement,ie: agree to buy him when he's got clearance

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#28 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Rangers signed Seb Rosenthal (sp). Pretty sure he wasn't an established international

We signed Gabby Amato who wasn't an international. He would have been world class if he had pace!!

The likes of Ajax have been doing it quite consistently for decades

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#29 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,251 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Rangers signed Seb Rosenthal (sp). Pretty sure he wasn't an established international
We signed Gabby Amato who wasn't an international. He would have been world class if he had pace!!
The likes of Ajax have been doing it quite consistently for decades

I was actually going to mention him Trav as there was problems when trying to sign him, his initial application was rejected and almost ruined the whole deal until Rangers pleaded their case......was also similar with Kuznetzov I think at the time although it might have been someone else.

Yeah I already mentioned that the Dutch Spanish and Portuguese do not have the same restrictions. Think they can sign and register upto 5 players from South America.....used to be the case with non internationals anyway but may have changed

Edited by Camshy, 16 March 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#30 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

I believe Portugese clubs have a history of signing Brazillian players. Jardel refused a work permit for Rangers went on to have a great career with Porto!

#31 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Highlights how little you know about the 'Club'. Maybe do a little research into the 'Club' and see that despite all the money they have stuck to their roots and what they have done for their community. The money they brought into the community. The employment they have brought into the community. The apprenticeships they have brought into the community.

feck me - they are the newcomers to the community. You cant just decide to move to an area and brand yourself a community club. a clear charm offensive to be accepted and i dont suppose many high paid jobs working at the club for the local community

face facts city are a failure for the dough they have spent and soon the arabs will get bored of their plaything. do well to get top 4 in the premiership this year.

#32 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

feck me - they are the newcomers to the community. You cant just decide to move to an area and brand yourself a community club. a clear charm offensive to be accepted and i dont suppose many high paid jobs working at the club for the local community

face facts city are a failure for the dough they have spent and soon the arabs will get bored of their plaything. do well to get top 4 in the premiership this year.

Yeh buying the best youngsters in world football doesn't look like they have any long term plans in place.

Spending £200 million on training facilities and youth academy is a clear indication they are aiming for immediate success

Speaking tens of millions improving facilities and expanding capacity instead shows the Arabs have no plans for the club to grow.

As far as the high paid jobs go. How do you know? The company that won the contract to build the third tier behind the goals had to promise to guarantee so many skilled apprenticeships were given to local youngsters.

Nothing to do with being the new boys in a new area but is just the Arabs continuing initiatives that were started 30 odd years ago.

You are right about the return on money spent. Defence is a shambles without Kompany!! 2 new fullbacks and a new keeper are needed desperately. A holding midfielder is needed but I am sure pep will know this

#33 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Yeh buying the best youngsters in world football doesn't look like they have any long term plans in place.

Spending £200 million on training facilities and youth academy is a clear indication they are aiming for immediate success

Speaking tens of millions improving facilities and expanding capacity instead shows the Arabs have no plans for the club to grow.

As far as the high paid jobs go. How do you know? The company that won the contract to build the third tier behind the goals had to promise to guarantee so many skilled apprenticeships were given to local youngsters.

Nothing to do with being the new boys in a new area but is just the Arabs continuing initiatives that were started 30 odd years ago.

You are right about the return on money spent. Defence is a shambles without Kompany!! 2 new fullbacks and a new keeper are needed desperately. A holding midfielder is needed but I am sure pep will know this

So buying the worlds best players is longterm? Erm should they not be raising their own instead of poaching others then continually loaning out their kids?

#34 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,296 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

So buying the worlds best players is longterm? Erm should they not be raising their own instead of poaching others then continually loaning out their kids?

Ermmm Try reading the post again...

#35 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Ermmm Try reading the post again...

i typed a lot more quality words but somehow it got lost when I edited it as i spotted a typo that Hairy would have had a field day over . . CBF redoing it

#36 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

i typed a lot more quality words but somehow it got lost when I edited it as i spotted a typo that Hairy would have had a field day over . . CBF redoing it

pedant.jpg Please do not try to involve me in this childish squabble.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#37 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Please do not try to involve me in this childish squabble.

do I have an option on SFF ☻

#38 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

do I have an option on SFF ☻

Of course you do.

You also used to have a sense of humour.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users