• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

It has long been thought Celtic were using their influences within the SFA to have Parkhead used as the National stadium.

Three years left on the SFA lease on the National Stadium and we have Hampden described as not fit for purpose. Is anybody really surprised ?

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#2 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,379 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

It has long been thought Celtic were using their influences within the SFA to have Parkhead used as the National stadium.
Three years left on the SFA lease on the National Stadium and we have Hampden described as not fit for purpose. Is anybody really surprised ?

Why and who would describe it as that,never set foot in it but looks a decent stadium to me

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#3 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

SPFL chairman Ralph Topping last night branded Hampden a creaking ‘anachronism’, no longer fit for purpose.
The national stadium hosts the Sunday’s World Cup qualifier with Slovenia but the SFA are considering moving Scotland games away from Mount Florida when their 20-year lease ends in three years’ time.
The SFA have already warned, however, that ‘all options’ are on the table - including quitting Scottish football’s spiritual home for the last 114 years.
Scheduled to stand down from the boards of both the SFA and SPFL this summer, Topping won’t be part of the final negotiation on Hampden’s future beyond the 2020 European Championships.

In an exclusive interview with Sportsmail, however, he insists the decision is clear cut, saying: ‘Hampden is an anachronism in this day and age.
‘You essentially have an amateur football club as the owner of the national stadium.
‘Queen’s Park have a proud, fantastic history. They are a great club in their own way.
‘But were I still on the SFA board when the decision time came around, the fundamental question would not only surround the economics of renewing the lease — you would also have to ask if Hampden fits the bill as a modern stadium any more. I don’t think it does.
‘It stands pretty poorly in comparison with other arenas of similar status.
‘There is nothing there that could make you say it’s a national stadium or take a sharp intake .
‘You don’t look at Hampden and go: “What a fantastic stadium, what a great environment for fans.”
‘It’s a hard place to get to, a hard place to get away from. Is it modern enough? No.
‘Will it stand the test of time for the term of another 20-year SFA lease? No, it won’t. It is creaking at the moment.’
The SFA currently pay a six-figure sum for annual rental of the stadium to Queen’s Park. And Hampden business rates are expected to increase by £350,000 as part of a government revaluation.
Concerned an ageing stadium no longer represents value for money, Topping favours Scotland games and showpiece cup games being played around the country.
‘There are three big stadia available,’ he continued. ‘Murrayfield might cause angst about using a rugby venue - but it is a modern stadium.
‘Celtic Park and Ibrox can also meet the current demand for Scottish football.
‘Then you have Pittodrie, Tynecastle and Easter Road, where the national team are about to play Canada. So I don’t see the need for Hampden Park.’
As Sportsmail revealed earlier this month, an SFA exit will leave Queen’s Park with a crippling £4.5million bill for the repayment of 4,000 debenture seats sold in 1999 to help fund a £59m redevelopment.
Selling the stadium and relocating to Lesser Hampden to pay the debt would be an emotionally and politically charged move.
Insisting nostalgia can no longer justify the costs of the SFA and SPFL staying put, however, Topping added: ‘There are always going to be sentimentalists.
‘I remember my first game at Hampden, entering the big bowl and going up the big steps and thinking: “This is brilliant.”
‘But is it a modern stadium for the Scottish game to portray itself in the most favourable light? No, it isn’t.
‘I can’t see the economic case for paying rent to stay at Hampden another 20 years.
‘There may be political angst, but the SFA and SPFL can find other offices easily. There is no need to be based at Hampden Park.
‘Anyone who has travelled and seen stadia elsewhere in the world (knows) Hampden is a long way behind other arenas and that situation is not going to improve over time.
‘So what is the right thing to do come decision time? Well, if you are deciding the best use of your resources you have to conclude it’s not a modern stadium fit for purpose.’
While addressing concerns no other stadium can offer a neutral venue for showpiece cup games between Celtic and Rangers, Topping offers a solution.
‘Toss a coin or alternate the games,’ he said. ‘I’m sure there are ways round it.
‘This might upset Queen’s Park, but do they have to play at Hampden? No.
‘Would it be sensible for Queen’s Park to play at Lesser Hampden? Yes.
‘The fact is that Hampden is played on too often to be deemed a national stadium.
‘Queen’s Park won’t like that. But there is a day of reckoning coming when this subject will have to be scrutinised and decided upon.’

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#4 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 38,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Why and who would describe it as that,never set foot in it but looks a decent stadium to me

When they refurbed it they coulda made it much better , its shite imo
Das it mane , Das it.

#5 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Hampden is a nightmare to travel to as is Parkhead although i believe GCC are considering running the underground out Parkhead way. :rolleyes:

Hampden was a great old stadium but for me that was lost when they redeveloped the stadium after the Taylor Report. It lost a lot of the atmosphere and if you are behind the goals you are quite a way from the pitch

#6 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,040 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

Crowd is to far from the pitch at Hampden....... kills the 12th man atmosphere

How much cash would it be worth the Celtic being Landlord......? GATES, TV, ETC......

it would kill an already dead league.
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#7 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 68,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Best days at Hampden were before it was refurbished....over 100K attendance....stour coming up from the steps....lots of great memories even my first cup final in '69. For a wee 14 year old boy it was magic....(apart from the fucking result...... :D ).

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#8 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,379 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

A new national stadium should be built then

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#9 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 38,772 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Best days at Hampden were before it was refurbished....over 100K attendance....stour coming up from the steps....lots of great memories even my first cup final in '69. For a wee 14 year old boy it was magic....(apart from the fucking result...... :D ).

For sure , esp on sunny days!
Das it mane , Das it.

#10 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,215 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Best days at Hampden were before it was refurbished....over 100K attendance....stour coming up from the steps....lots of great memories even my first cup final in '69. For a wee 14 year old boy it was magic....(apart from the fucking result...... :D ).

http://www.11v11.com...il-1969-230578/

First Hampden game i attended, that was some team.

Those were the days, weren't worried about being able to beat Canada or Slovenia.

Interesting article telling the truth about the state of affairs.

http://www.bbc.com/s...otball/39326930

#11 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

The rates bill on Hampden has went up by a lot which is payable by the "tenant". Any soundings saying it is not fit for purpose is clearly posturing on getting a more favourable financial agreement at the end of this one.

A fool can see that . . . .and some can't

The reference to others having suitable stadiums does not fit in with a certain agenda either

Edited by Elchappy, 21 March 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#12 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,215 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Can't honestly see the Tartan Army accepting any other SPL teams stadium on a permanent basis. To many issues with that.

Stuck with Hampden for many years to come.

Better chance of Scottish independence than a new National Stadium.

#13 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

I remember Hampden Park back on the 19th May 2012, a lovely sunny day and a fair result at fulltime to be fair, funny enough I went for a pish before leaving and even the bogs smelt of strawberries that day.............

#14 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,175 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

When they refurbed it they coulda made it much better , its shite imo

Couldnt agree more, its not a patch on Ibrox or Celtic Park. In fact I actually prefer some of the other clubs stadiums to Hampden also because I think its that bad.

Our National stadium holds attendance records for international and club games in Europe and it should still reflect that era imo and should be the biggest stadium in the country.

England have the massive Wembley, ofcourse all the money pumped into the game from you know where has also helped with the national team.
Wales have the impressive Millenium stadium.
Even the Irish team have that decent stadium but looks shit behind one of the goals.
N Ireland have a nice but rather small stadium.

We should have a stadium that reflects our great history and feeling within the game.....Hampden just doesnt do that. Worst stadium in Scotland for its size..waste of money.

#15 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,284 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

The rates bill on Hampden has went up by a lot which is payable by the "tenant". Any soundings saying it is not fit for purpose is clearly posturing on getting a more favourable financial agreement at the end of this one.

A fool can see that . . . .and some can't

The reference to others having suitable stadiums does not fit in with a certain agenda either

The Rates for Hampden have gone up dramatically despite the stadium remaining as it has for many years. Surrounding area much the same.

The Rates for Ibrox stadium have also gone up despite no significant improvements to stadium and surrounding area

The Rates for Celtic Park have vastly reduced despite significant ground improvements and large scale regeneration in the surrounding area.

Nothing to see here.....

#16 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,379 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

Even the Irish team have that decent stadium but looks shit behind one of the goals.
N Ireland have a nice but rather small stadium.

18500 suits our needs mate tho would have preferred 25000

Its residential directly behind the shit end at the Aviva

#17 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,379 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Why dont the SFA take Hampden off the hands of Queens Park so they can give a proper refurb and build them a 5k stadium closeby or is that too simplistic

#18 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,040 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

Maybe a smaller venue......

http://www.dailyreco...-worst-10054273

Seriously..... how the fuck has this happened?
Posted Image

#19 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,040 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Do any of you lot follow Scotland?
Posted Image

#20 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,215 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Maybe a smaller venue......

http://www.dailyreco...-worst-10054273

Seriously..... how the fuck has this happened?

Easy to understand this LB, 3 of many points:

1/ Scotland's national football team are shite;

2/ Strachan as a national coach is shite;

3/ Scottish football as a whole (at the moment) is shite.

Add that together with a match held on a Wednesday night in the month of March at Easter Road  against Canada and you have the answer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users