A wee question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,445 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Now that Celtic have won the league, fantastic the manner in which they have won it. Rogers has made a helluva difference and while I dont think its a particularly impressive thing for this current Celtic team to win the league I think it is exceptionally impressive in how they have done it.

My question is this, and I hope it comes across the way I intend it to.

People have been speaking about a gap which there is between Celtic and the rest, press and fans going on about Rangers trying to close that gap.
This season has seen them win the league like no other team has done before by picking up victories like they were.....well candy from a baby.

Even Celtics greatest ever team who were far more dominant in every sense could not amas the impressive tally the current crop have......next season no matter who comes in or who leaves it would be unlikely to get a season as good as this one performance and results wise which would mean less points overall at the end.

Basically what I'm saying and asking is, if Rangers are closer in terms of points would that equate to closing the gap ?

You see for me it wouldnt, unless it is like 4 or 5 points but if its another fairly comfortable campaign for Celtic with a 15 or 20 point lead I dont think that is closing the gap.......points wise it is I guess.

I only ask because the new manager has been brought in to try and get closer to Celtic and I feel its inevitable people will say he has done a decent job as I think its hard for Celtic to emulate this season........do people understand what I'm trying to say or do I sound cuckoo

#2 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 36,836 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

I dont think we will do this next season even if we add a few better players , going 31 games unbeaten i mean , just my opinion , the league was a cert but the way we play compared to last season is night and day but rangers cant think of us and only think of improving and looking after themselves and if they improve the gap may close , who knows what will happen next season
Das it mane , Das it.

#3 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,445 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

I dont think we will do this next season even if we add a few better players , going 31 games unbeaten i mean , just my opinion , the league was a cert but the way we play compared to last season is night and day but rangers cant think of us and only think of improving and looking after themselves and if they improve the gap may close , who knows what will happen next season

Thats my point though Hoopz, Celtic will unlikely reach these heights which in turn will mean less points while Rangers should be more consistent.......I mean Warburton could still be manager, hell even McCoist. The points tally will surely be closer but does that mean the gap will be closed.

Thats what Pedro will be judged on and for me its not an accurate way to look at it as technically if the points are even marginally reduced it will be seen as progress.....inevitable it will be closer

#4 Elchappy

Elchappy

no toys out the pram here

• 6,110 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

Think I get your drift Cam.

The gap is 25 at mo. We start resting players after the semi and the gap could well be reduced to say 15ish points. So not massive.

On one hand I love the way we have been brilliant in keeping the flag, but on the other for footballs sake I would like it more closely contested. Nothing quite like having someone breathing down your neck knowing you have to win.

Over to Pedro. Arguably with the CL money from this year the gap should increase, though football doesn't always work like that.

#5 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 36,836 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Thats my point though Hoopz, Celtic will unlikely reach these heights which in turn will mean less points while Rangers should be more consistent.......I mean Warburton could still be manager, hell even McCoist. The points tally will surely be closer but does that mean the gap will be closed.

Thats what Pedro will be judged on and for me its not an accurate way to look at it as technically if the points are even marginally reduced it will be seen as progress.....inevitable it will be closer

If rangers finish on a better points tally than this season it may be easier to gauge
Das it mane , Das it.

#6 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,445 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

If rangers finish on a better points tally than this season it may be easier to gauge

I'm pretty sure we will although you never know.
Pressure being at this club is too great for some and struggled when things should have been better.
Drawn and lost games against teams where we have a similar gap in points than we have between ourselves and Celtic.
We are clearly a better team than Hamilton, Motherwell etc but at times have struggled to get the goals and points but sit 30 points or so ahead of them in the table.

I dont doubt we will be far more consistent next season and get the points, too often this season early on we couldnt get the victory even though we really should have with the way we played.......pressure mounted each week and most cant handle that kind of pressure.

I will be happy when we stop presenting teams we are far better than with chances to beat us.....teams we are 20, 30 points ahead of in the league.

#7 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 65,886 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:13 AM

My question is this, and I hope it comes across the way I intend it to.

People have been speaking about a gap which there is between Celtic and the rest, press and fans going on about Rangers trying to close that gap.
This season has seen them win the league like no other team has done before by picking up victories like they were.....well candy from a baby.

verall at the end.

Basically what I'm saying and asking is, if Rangers are closer in terms of points would that equate to closing the gap ?

You see for me it wouldnt, unless it is like 4 or 5 points but if its another fairly comfortable campaign for Celtic with a 15 or 20 point lead I dont think that is closing the gap.......points wise it is I guess.

For me it has to be a Yes. The league is played over x amount of games against every team and games against Celtic are not the be all and end all of how Rangers (or any team) should be gauging their performance over an entire season. So if any team closes the gap in terms of points it must be a positive and be considered as to what you ask.

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#8 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,255 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I don't think that closing the gap is completely down to a points difference, or number of goals in which a team wins a game. It's more subtle than that. During Rangers' climb up the leagues, there were times when the table suggested a gulf in quality, yet punters like me who watched every week would tell you that the gap wasn't as big as it looked. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users