SKY :-) !!!!

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

If anything the Sky / Abramovich money maybe held United back as it allowed Chelsea and others to compete with them. 

Uniteds success was down to an unbelievable manager and a group of outstanding kids breaking into the team at the one time. Not really given this much thought but has there ever been a time when such a group of talented youngsters have come through at the one team in that way. Beckham,Giggs,Scholes, Butt, The Nevilles and Lee Sharp

Yes that is true and tbh that was when i really enjoyed watching United, due to that early deal though it still allowed them to spend a lot more than other teams......20 million or whatever it was for Yorke while the other teams were maybe 5-7 million maybe more here or there.

#22 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

It is true, i read an article a number of years back detailing the figures where those 4 clubs basically held the others to ransom.....until the rest stood up and demanded it changed around 99/00

I am not doubting you Cam i just want to know how they managed it. 

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#23 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:54 AM

Im not sure thats true,is there a link?
Before sky took over in the 1992-93 season,Utd won the FA cup,league cup,cup winners cup and the super cup between May 1990 to May 1992 so the untold success had already started regardless of Sky tv

Hadnt won the league though and I think from that deal you guys won 13 or so titles......quite a difference prior to Sky !

#24 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:56 AM

I am not doubting you Cam i just want to know how they managed it.

I will find the link tomorrow from my brother in law, a blue nose who like you has been a massive City fan since his early days.
He alerted me to it a number of years ago as he knows my feeling on the whole thing and he hates Man U.

Be at his tomorrow for the Rangers game so will ask about it, he might remember the source.

#25 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I will find the link tomorrow from my brother in law, a blue nose who like you has been a massive City fan since his early days.
He alerted me to it a number of years ago as he knows my feeling on the whole thing and he hates Man U.

Be at his tomorrow for the Rangers game so will ask about it, he might remember the source.

As i said Cam i am not doubting you i am just wondering how they managed it.

Pretty sure Rangers and Celtic  did it by awarding the vast majority of TV revenue to the Top 2 clubs in the top tier and this is exactly why Aberdeen sided with Celtic in voting after Rangers were moved to the bottom tier of Scottish football.

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#26 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hadnt won the league though and I think from that deal you guys won 13 or so titles......quite a difference prior to Sky !

The title was coming regardless,heres the cost of the 93 title winning team

1 Schemichel £700,000
2 Irwin £600,000
3 Pallister £2.3m
4 Bruce £700,000
5 Parker £2m
6 Kanchelskis £1m
7 Ince £1.8m
8 Robson £1.5m
9 Giggs £0.00
10 Cantona £1.2m
11 Hughes £1.8m

A total of £13.6m with a team bought pre sky

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#27 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

If anything the Sky / Abramovich money maybe held United back as it allowed Chelsea and others to compete with them. 

Uniteds success was down to an unbelievable manager and a group of outstanding kids breaking into the team at the one time. Not really given this much thought but has there ever been a time when such a group of talented youngsters have come through at the one team in that way. Beckham,Giggs,Scholes, Butt, The Nevilles and Lee Sharp

They bought Sharpe in 88 from Torquay for £180k but regards the rest that was a one off,that will never happen again,pure managerial genious tho i shit my pants when he sold Hughes,Kanchelskis and Ince and brought the kids iin,then the go on to do THE DOUBLE

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#28 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Progress yes BUT it is all because of Sky and Sky only Dug ffs how can you not see that.
We can call it the greatest league in the workd if that makes you happy the fact is Sky has created the situation football is facing.

Scottish clubs struggling to keep afloat and English clubs even the chamlionship which is the 4th most lucrative league in the world ffs.
You cant tell me that is value for money.

I can accept I dislike the whole situation but it only exists because of Sky. The coverage of games with Scottish teams is pish.....thats what I mean by shoved down your throat.

Sky has created new fan base for these teams, go online to Skys forum page and its full of Africans and eastern Europeans with Man U or some other EPL teams badge.

Im not asking for their games to be banned, you taking what Im saying and just waffling.
Stop being stubborn and admit Sky has totally transformed the English game and its not for the better, well not for the fans who actually go and spend their money.

You don't see it as progress, I do.....you don't like English Football, I do. Of course the situation exists because of Sky because it has been them and now BT that has put money into the game. Would you have preferred that no TV deals had been done since the early days prior to satellite/cable tv? The coverage of Scottish games is pish in your opinion probably because the product is pish.....is Sky to blame for that, for stopping the progress of youngsters?

Plain and simple jealousy from you Cam...you want to remain in the dark ages mate. I personally don't give a fuck what you call the EPL, it matters not a jot to me.

You don't want English games banned ? You give a damned good overall impression of that then.....

As for your terribly silly last sentence....you expect me to admit that when I have been arguing the opposite ? Get away with ye.... :lol: . As for the fans who go and spend their cash....if Sky is handing out such lavish deals to all the clubs why are the entry prices to the grounds so high....that my friend is down to the individual clubs and has heehaw to do with Sky.

PS....I Never Ever waffle..... :D

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#29 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

Progress yes BUT it is all because of Sky and Sky only Dug ffs how can you not see that.
We can call it the greatest league in the workd if that makes you happy the fact is Sky has created the situation football is facing.
Scottish clubs struggling to keep afloat and English clubs even the chamlionship which is the 4th most lucrative league in the world ffs.
You cant tell me that is value for money.
I can accept I dislike the whole situation but it only exists because of Sky. The coverage of games with Scottish teams is pish.....thats what I mean by shoved down your throat.
Sky has created new fan base for these teams, go online to Skys forum page and its full of Africans and eastern Europeans with Man U or some other EPL teams badge.
Im not asking for their games to be banned, you taking what Im saying and just waffling.
Stop being stubborn and admit Sky has totally transformed the English game and its not for the better, well not for the fans who actually go and spend their money.

The Championship is a hugely entertaing league with massive crowds,try it sometime

#30 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

You don't see it as progress, I do.....you don't like English Football, I do. Of course the situation exists because of Sky because it has been them and now BT that has put money into the game. Would you have preferred that no TV deals had been done since the early days prior to satellite/cable tv? The coverage of Scottish games is pish in your opinion probably because the product is pish.....is Sky to blame for that, for stopping the progress of youngsters?

Plain and simple jealousy from you Cam...you want to remain in the dark ages mate. I personally don't give a fuck what you call the EPL, it matters not a jot to me.

You don't want English games banned ? You give a damned good overall impression of that then.....

As for your terribly silly last sentence....you expect me to admit that when I have been arguing the opposite ? Get away with ye.... :lol: . As for the fans who go and spend their cash....if Sky is handing out such lavish deals to all the clubs why are the entry prices to the grounds so high....that my friend is down to the individual clubs and has heehaw to do with Sky.

PS....I Never Ever waffle..... :D

Just admit it, yes I may be jealous but you have been at the opposite if what I have said regarding this....not because you actually disagree but its more because you are fed up me talking sense.

Now.sit back, take a deep breath and say yes Cam you make a relevant point, yiu are spot on the money. SKY has ruimed the game....well in Scotland simoky because we struggle to buy and keep a player because of that disparity.

Bow down and admit defeat......you dog !!!

#31 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

The Championship is a hugely entertaing league with massive crowds,try it sometime

Actually seen a few games and while it is ultra competitive and very difficult to win it lacks quality....especially in comparison to the EPL, LA LIGA and German league etc.
Its not value for money imo.

#32 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

Just admit it, yes I may be jealous but you have been at the opposite if what I have said regarding this....not because you actually disagree but its more because you are fed up me talking sense.

Now.sit back, take a deep breath and say yes Cam you make a relevant point, yiu are spot on the money. SKY has ruimed the game....well in Scotland simoky because we struggle to buy and keep a player because of that disparity.

Bow down and admit defeat......you dog !!!

:lol: ....I won't admit anything there because I disagree with it but I'll come to a deal with you if you want because neither of us will change our views...My offer is....you stop whinging about Sky and I will not counter argue....up to you mate?

PS....I forgot to add in my previous post.....you didn't mention Roger Mitchell turning down around £60 mill for Scottish football....if that been accepted it would surely have made a big difference.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#33 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Regarding tickets prices for the EPL clubs. I can only talk about City but the Season Ticket prices are excellent and comparable to what i pay at Ibrox.

Individual game tickets can be pricey. I think i paid £50 ish for the Barca ticket and about £30ish for the Celtic tickets.

League games vary but when last down i think it was against Hull and it was £40ish but they can go up to around £60 for a top game against the likes of Arsenal , Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. Cup games are very reasonable and an FA Cup game against Chelsea a couple of years ago was £25.

I believe my ticket for Rugby Park was £26 which is scandalous considering the condition of the stadium and the standard of football. Rangers v Celtic is £50 !!!

#34 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Hopefully you will be soon enough :P

#35 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

Regarding tickets prices for the EPL clubs. I can only talk about City but the Season Ticket prices are excellent and comparable to what i pay at Ibrox.

Individual game tickets can be pricey. I think i paid £50 ish for the Barca ticket and about £30ish for the Celtic tickets.

League games vary but when last down i think it was against Hull and it was £40ish but they can go up to around £60 for a top game against the likes of Arsenal , Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool. Cup games are very reasonable and an FA Cup game against Chelsea a couple of years ago was £25.

I believe my ticket for Rugby Park was £26 which is scandalous considering the condition of the stadium and the standard of football. Rangers v Celtic is £50 !!!

I only mentioned this because of what Cam said..."Stop being stubborn and admit Sky has totally transformed the English game and its not for the better, well not for the fans who actually go and spend their money."

As I said these prices are down to the clubs.

#36 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hopefully you will be soon enough :P

:lol:

#37 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

I think the only thing we can agree on is you are indeed stubborn :-)

Regarding Mitchell, yeah its easy to comment on these things in hindsight but it actually helps my side of annoyance.
He felt the deal was not worth it in comparison to what they offered down south.
Wages etc at Rangers could easily match those at the "big" clubs down south although granted the league there has always been better BUT we ( Rangers and Celtic anyway ) coukd hold their own against the top in England......thats not the case anymore.

Anyway lits if great discussion points on the whole situation.

#38 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,640 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

Yes that is true and tbh that was when i really enjoyed watching United, due to that early deal though it still allowed them to spend a lot more than other teams......20 million or whatever it was for Yorke while the other teams were maybe 5-7 million maybe more here or there.

£12m for Yorke

#39 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,254 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Ah I knew it was a lot of money for the time Norn, was a record or something because if I remember correctly Villa were holding out big time. I was sure the fee was 19 million or so but there you go..............my memory !!!!

#40 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ah I knew it was a lot of money for the time Norn, was a record or something because if I remember correctly Villa were holding out big time. I was sure the fee was 19 million or so but there you go..............my memory !!!!

obviously not helping with your anti sky ramblings.... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users