SKY :-) !!!!

106 replies to this topic

#41 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Shut it Dug, bow down.

Quite interesting looking at the transfer fee records through the years, you can actually see the influence of Sky right there in front of your eyes. The Yorke situation is an interesting one and shows just how much more money Man United were getting from Sky than the other teams ( excluding Spurs, Pool, Arsenal ) as the rest were paying half of what Utd paid.

Money started getting crazy a short while after that when the Sky money went up "sky" high, the difference is transfer fees is quite staggering.

On a side note, not trying to have a go at sky......well even if I'am I don't care, how much longer can this be sustained where the money either rises or maintains at the same level for a few years. Clubs like Man U paying close to 90 million for a completely average player in Pogba, other clubs being able to offer in excess of £200000 per week and they haven't even won the league in donkeys years.

How much longer will this continue to happen ?

As much as the arm chair fan loves it a lot of other people are getting a little disgruntled with the whole thing, yeah jealously mainly but it truly does effect the country you live in............well if you actually support a team from there !!!

Was chatting to one of the lads who joins our comms channel on the PC, lad from Sweden. Was saying he was about to go and watch the CL game, I asked if he was a L City fan, he said "No, I support Chelsea"

I asked, ok a bit snidey, is there not any teams in Sweden ? Of course I know there are but likely due to the poor quality, as you get in Ireland for example he supports Chelsea. I said " Ah a glory hunter, like the others"

He said he supported them for the last 15 years since he seen them on SKY !!!

So I start delving a bit deeper, asking if he had ever been to a game........no

Asked who his favourite player of all time was..........said one who played in the last 5 years, ok that could be the case but the guy is in his 30s.the Swedish guy I mean

Asked if he knew any of the stands at the stadium.........No

Asked what his favourite song was............eh, don't know.

Asked who was the manager before Mourhino...........Eh, don't know

So yeah he is clearly a Chelsea fan !!!!

This is what is driving fans away from their own country though, with all the money being driven into the game in England it makes it near impossible to get players of a similar or even close to the standard in the EPL due to them having all the money and massive squads of players they will never ever use.

I would like to see a cap on the amount of players they are allowed to loan, this may stop them from buying up everyone in the hope of unearthing the next big thing.

I promise I will not rant about it again today...........unless Dug pipes up and starts talking......ahem silly talk :razz:

#42 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

Ah I knew it was a lot of money for the time Norn, was a record or something because if I remember correctly Villa were holding out big time. I was sure the fee was 19 million or so but there you go..............my memory !!!!

Nope,Shearer to Newcastle for £15m in 1996

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#43 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 66,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Shut it Dug, bow down.

Quite interesting looking at the transfer fee records through the years, you can actually see the influence of Sky right there in front of your eyes. The Yorke situation is an interesting one and shows just how much more money Man United were getting from Sky than the other teams ( excluding Spurs, Pool, Arsenal ) as the rest were paying half of what Utd paid.

Money started getting crazy a short while after that when the Sky money went up "sky" high, the difference is transfer fees is quite staggering.

On a side note, not trying to have a go at sky......well even if I'am I don't care, how much longer can this be sustained where the money either rises or maintains at the same level for a few years. Clubs like Man U paying close to 90 million for a completely average player in Pogba, other clubs being able to offer in excess of £200000 per week and they haven't even won the league in donkeys years.

How much longer will this continue to happen ?

As much as the arm chair fan loves it a lot of other people are getting a little disgruntled with the whole thing, yeah jealously mainly but it truly does effect the country you live in............well if you actually support a team from there !!!

Was chatting to one of the lads who joins our comms channel on the PC, lad from Sweden. Was saying he was about to go and watch the CL game, I asked if he was a L City fan, he said "No, I support Chelsea"

I asked, ok a bit snidey, is there not any teams in Sweden ? Of course I know there are but likely due to the poor quality, as you get in Ireland for example he supports Chelsea. I said " Ah a glory hunter, like the others"

He said he supported them for the last 15 years since he seen them on SKY !!!

So I start delving a bit deeper, asking if he had ever been to a game........no

Asked who his favourite player of all time was..........said one who played in the last 5 years, ok that could be the case but the guy is in his 30s.the Swedish guy I mean

Asked if he knew any of the stands at the stadium.........No

Asked what his favourite song was............eh, don't know.

Asked who was the manager before Mourhino...........Eh, don't know

So yeah he is clearly a Chelsea fan !!!!

This is what is driving fans away from their own country though, with all the money being driven into the game in England it makes it near impossible to get players of a similar or even close to the standard in the EPL due to them having all the money and massive squads of players they will never ever use.

I would like to see a cap on the amount of players they are allowed to loan, this may stop them from buying up everyone in the hope of unearthing the next big thing.

I promise I will not rant about it again today...........unless Dug pipes up and starts talking......ahem silly talk :razz:

Okay, deal's off the table....As per usual you're talking out of your bottom orifice. Jealousy, hatred....nothing else....dry your eyes ffs Cam.....

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#44 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

Ah I knew it was a lot of money for the time Norn, was a record or something because if I remember correctly Villa were holding out big time. I was sure the fee was 19 million or so but there you go..............my memory !!!!

For the record Cam,you go on about Utd spending £12m on Yorke in 1998 who had quality while 2 years later your own club SPENT EXACTLY THE SAME AMOUNT ON A FUCKING CLOWN :lol:

I can smell the hypocrisy

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#45 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

But that is where you are so wrong Norn and Dug also got the "wrong end of the stick".

Rangers spending power during that period is not the same as the money effecting the game right now. FFS Crytal Palace and Burnley who have like 20000 gates on a good day can spend 15 million right now. The money in England affects leagues in every country through out Europe..........Rangers spending, sorry wasting £12 million was mainly down to the English clubs Sky money and the rise in transfer fees due to it, my team spending that money on ONE player is no where near the same as spending that on a youth player/s who don't even get a game at most clubs in England.

It is no where near the same thing and I cant believe you oare actually saying it

#46 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 66,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

But that is where you are so wrong Norn and Dug also got the "wrong end of the stick".

Rangers spending power during that period is not the same as the money effecting the game right now. FFS Crytal Palace and Burnley who have like 20000 gates on a good day can spend 15 million right now. The money in England affects leagues in every country through out Europe..........Rangers spending, sorry wasting £12 million was mainly down to the English clubs Sky money and the rise in transfer fees due to it, my team spending that money on ONE player is no where near the same as spending that on a youth player/s who don't even get a game at most clubs in England.

It is no where near the same thing and I cant believe you oare actually saying it

I said bugger all about Flo....

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#47 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

You criticised Utd for spending that amount whilst other clubs spent much less,that mirrors Gers spending in the Scottish league does it not?

Utd's commercial income was/still is far superior to any club,they made their own money without a sugar daddy

#48 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

No it does not, you guys spent that in 94, we spent that 7 or 8 years later. Your team were also getting more of the pie at that time which is what I was highlighting.

Dug when I initially mentioned my displeasure about Sky ages you got the wrong end of the stick and took it the same way Norn has by saying something like, Rangers have been buying the Smaller teams players for years.

That is not what it is about and that has happened since the start of football, bigger teams generally make more money and spend more...........its about ALL the teams in the EPL and the abili.......ach I'm not going back over ground I have mentioned.

If neither of you can understand then try reading every last bit again !! And that is everything I have ever said regarding the thing

#49 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 66,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

No it does not, you guys spent that in 94, we spent that 7 or 8 years later. Your team were also getting more of the pie at that time which is what I was highlighting.

Dug when I initially mentioned my displeasure about Sky ages you got the wrong end of the stick and took it the same way Norn has by saying something like, Rangers have been buying the Smaller teams players for years.

That is not what it is about and that has happened since the start of football, bigger teams generally make more money and spend more...........its about ALL the teams in the EPL and the abili.......ach I'm not going back over ground I have mentioned.

If neither of you can understand then try reading every last bit again !! And that is everything I have ever said regarding the thing

I don't recall saying that but can't say either way positively. However, if I did i wouldn't believe it's to with your continual moaning about Sky. 

#50 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Nope Utd bought Yorke in 98,you's bought Flo 2 years later

#51 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Cam you complain about sky revamping English football and throwing millions at it!

UEFA completely revamped the European cup into the Champions league,i bet you didn't give a flying fuck when the Gers were in the group stages getting silly money when other Euro comps got fuck all......did you ever grump about that?

#52 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Muppet Police

• 30,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Where the fuck is The Panda to sort this out.......?

His opinion should sort this out once and for all......

On a side, I'm with Norm!
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#53 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

@ Norn, yes I did Norn.

Just because you support an English team it doesn't mean you have to back them up any time someone criticises the league..........its like the age old argument about diving and cheating. " aye you wouldn't say that if such and such dived to win you guys the European Cup".............eh aye it would, I hate cheating period whether it my team or another and the same logic applies with the CL. That is another competition I have a bug bear about.

Not because of the money on offer although there is discrepancies over which team gets what, some get more than others simply because they play in a "cash rich" league and that's not right. My dislike about the CL is its the same games year in year out, don't even know who is all left in the competition atm but L City apart I could name at least 3 without having a look. Also hate the seeding system in place which favours the big cash rich leagues and the fact teams who don't win their league are allowed in the competition.

Not what the European Cup is supposed to be.........its a shadow of the competition it once was.

Edited by Camshy, 14 April 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#54 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

LB you shut it as well :twisted:

#55 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 66,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

LB you shut it as well :twisted:

94eee39c41fdc9eba7d9585ac6b3b5612265243d

#56 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have no problem criticising my team,i have also criticised Fergie many times,i criticised Utd for forcing fans to buy cup tickets if they were ST holders,overall the price of football is riculous,i had to pay £40 to watch my country play Slovakia

If you cast your mind back in the thread,you had a go at Utd saying they didn't win anything before Sky came along,i proved you wrong
You said they hadn't won a title pre sky and i pointed out to you the 93 title winning team were signed pre sky

You then brought Utd up again spending big money on Yorke with Sky money when your own team spent the same amount 2 years later

What are your thoughts on Rangers big spending days?

#57 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 6,633 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

Compared to what they had done before their strangle hold with Sky's money they had won no where near the amount they have since. The most successful spell in the clubs history have come during the money from sky and the foundations were firmly put in place with the mafia style grip they and the other 3 held over the rest.

The only thing that really puzzles me is why Spurs never amounted to much during that time given they had more money coming in than the other teams.

As I Said before I have no issue with clubs spending money its when I see clubs like QPR being able to offer more wages than a giant like B Dortmund who also play in a rather lucrative league, that's the problem. The disparity reaches much further than the UK

As for Rangers spending power, one of the things people tend to get wrong is saying we ran into trouble chasing 9iar. That simply is not true, the club was generating one of the highest turnovers in the UK and spending basically what they generated with a manageably debt............the problems arose when Advocaat came and spent like there was no tomorrow.

His reckless spending is ultimately what caused Rangers to go into free fall although the "big tax" case was the elephant in the room that also had a big effect.

I cant lie, I loved the club spending that money. I did not think we would end up in any sort of trouble, when I look and think back now its rather easy to see and predict but at the time no one seemed to realise the problems that could be a number of years ahead.....some maybe but by and large we were all caught on the crest of a wave and I think the big spending in England didn't help, kind of gave us a false sense of what we could actually spend.

During the 9iar run though when we had better players like Gazza etc I think the most we spent was just over 4 million. For the money coming into the club that was just about on the money if you ask me.

#58 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 66,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

1) The only thing that really puzzles me is why Spurs never amounted to much during that time given they had more money coming in than the other teams.

2) As I Said before I have no issue with clubs spending money its when I see clubs like QPR being able to offer more wages than a giant like B Dortmund who also play in a rather lucrative league, that's the problem. 

1) and there is where your argument falls down Cam!

2) How fucking elitist and you were the one whinging on about Giants in the Champions League.

#59 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 4,379 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Prodan at £5 million was the most during 9 in a row IIRC

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#60 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 17,071 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

Regards Utd Cam,Fergie was laying the foundations before sky,he arrived in 86 and weeded out the deadwood and got shot of the drinking culture,Utd did finish second in 88 and by 1990 the glory started,as i stated before

The team that was signed pre sky dominated from 92-96,then Fergie broke that team up and as was said before,had SIX youth team players who never cosy a penny,brought into the team,who all played for years to come delivering titles,so it defeats your argument Utd won titles because of Sky money.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users