#1 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,974 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:26 AM

http://www.scotsman....o-ins-1-4463674

Sounds like a sensible suggestion.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#2 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

http://www.scotsman....o-ins-1-4463674

Sounds like a sensible suggestion.

I still cannot understand why young McGregor , who seemed in great form, was not included.

Playing Devils Advocate you could say that same Celtic team were humiliated in Gibraltar and in Barcelona. Why not pick players who are regularly playing at a far higher level? During Rangers rise through the leagues i often read , mostly from Celtic and Aberdeen supporters, that no Rangers player should be picked because they were playing weak teams week in week out. Same can now be said about this present Celtic team.

Gordon , Brown and Armstrong should all start. Tierney and Robertson is a toss up..Forrest isn't even that popular with Celtic supporters. For me i would have Griffiths in but Strachan sees it differently

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#3 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,974 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

I still cannot understand why young McGregor , who seemed in great form, was not included.

Playing Devils Advocate you could say that same Celtic team were humiliated in Gibraltar and in Barcelona. Why not pick players who are regularly playing at a far higher level? During Rangers rise through the leagues i often read , mostly from Celtic and Aberdeen supporters, that no Rangers player should be picked because they were playing weak teams week in week out. Same can now be said about this present Celtic team.

Gordon , Brown and Armstrong should all start. Tierney and Robertson is a toss up..Forrest isn't even that popular with Celtic supporters. For me i would have Griffiths in but Strachan sees it differently

You reckon that home based players don't get enough game time against strong teams? So is the answer to select only those who play in stronger leagues?

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#4 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

You reckon that home based players don't get enough game time against strong teams? So is the answer to select only those who play in stronger leagues?

I was playing Devils Advocate. I was using the argument that kept Lee Wallace out the Scotland set up. IMO it was a nonsense argument then and a nonsense now. There were players being picked before Wallace that were not even playing for their clubs.

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#5 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I'm a little concerned about Tierney's fitness after the final, but if he is 100%, then get him in. Brown, Armstrong and Griffiths too. Not sure about Forrest.

#6 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

But all the Rangers players were bollox when you were moving up the leagues?

#7 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

But all the Rangers players were bollox when you were moving up the leagues?

Wallace was the best left back in the country when we went down to the bottom tier. 

#8 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Wallace was the best left back in the country when we went down to the bottom tier. 

Really? He may look good going forward and is very good at that part of the game but the thing is Scotland generally need defenders that can defend and Wallace is no good at that. Constantly caught completely out of position for Rangers week in week out. 

So overall I'd say no, he wasn't and certainly isn't now the best left back in the country.

#9 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

Really? He may look good going forward and is very good at that part of the game but the thing is Scotland generally need defenders that can defend and Wallace is no good at that. Constantly caught completely out of position for Rangers week in week out. 

So overall I'd say no, he wasn't and certainly isn't now the best left back in the country.

Yes. He was and the reason given for not picking him was the fact he was playing at the level he was. That doesn't seem to concern the management or support as much now.

Dean Shiels was nominated for SPL POTY when we signed him. 

#10 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Yes. He was and the reason given for not picking him was the fact he was playing at the level he was. That doesn't seem to concern the management or support as much now.

Dean Shiels was nominated for SPL POTY when we signed him. 

showed a lack of ambition to be happy to play in the bottom tier

#11 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

Scotland have better midfielders than McGregor. He's a reasonable squad player and would be a star in most spfl teams, but he can be completely ineffective and off the pace.

#12 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:06 PM

Scotland have better midfielders than McGregor. He's a reasonable squad player and would be a star in most spfl teams, but he can be completely ineffective and off the pace.

Like McGinn?

#13 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:08 PM

showed a lack of ambition to be happy to play in the bottom tier

And this could be aimed at anybody playing in Scotland. The standard is absolutely horrendous.

#14 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,171 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

Celtic are the form team, the more of them in the Scotland team the better.

We shouldn't be looking into Scotlands lower Leagues and that includes when Rangers were there. Are we saying you should play for Scotland if you can beat an East Stirling Defender?

Probably not.

#15 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

We shouldn't be looking into Scotlands lower Leagues and that includes when Rangers were there. Are we saying you should play for Scotland if you can beat an East Stirling Defender?

Probably not.

good point well presented

a bit like a new saw - great when new but if you don't keep it sharp it literally loses its edge. Deep stuff man :)

#16 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,294 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

That is not the point though. The Scottish Premier League is an absolutely horrendous standard at the moment. Many Scottish supporters and management said the players had to be playing at a high level. When Celtic stepped up a level they were found seriously wanting. Using their own logic we should be picking players who are playing consistently at a higher level.

James McArthur seems to get a seriously raw deal. Charlie Adam has been over looked on many occasions for players who couldn't lace his boots. It has always been the same. I can see Ryan Jack being picked for squads next season if Rangers get of to a flying start. 

#17 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,216 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Basically...... Rogers does Strachan's job for him?

Slow news day.
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#18 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,250 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

He is not the best LB now, that mantle clearly belongs to wee Tierney but during our rise up the leagues he was by far Scotlands best option.
Too many pig headed people said he shouldnt be selected simply because it was Rangers......and no I dont mean you specifically.

Wallace and some others were international players the day before we were sent down.......then when we were in div 3 people said he should not be selected as he was a 3rd division player BUT he had not played 1 single game in the league yet !!
As I say simply because it was Rangers too many had their tut tut hats on.....instead of picking the countries best LB we opted to play a RB in his position who wasnt even playing. Big mistake.

He was caught out of position Gaffa but that was not down to the actual player but the system and instruction given to him.

All water under the bridge now but it was piss poor the ignorance. Various Rangers players were also ignored for international call ups last year even though they were better than every player in the championship......now I think it was right not to call them up as we did have better options in the midfield but once we get promotion Strachan then selects McGinn who is and was no where near the consistency and levels reached by Holt, Halliday, Mckay and Wallace last year !!!
As I said not saying they should have but how could they be ignored given the performance levels yet McGinn has been getting in and not half the player....and he was still in the division below.

Big part of the reason Strachan has strangled my passion for the national side at the moment.

#19 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

good point well presented

a bit like a new saw - great when new but if you don't keep it sharp it literally loses its edge. Deep stuff man :)

I like it, I'm not a saw loser .

#20 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,171 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

That is not the point though. The Scottish Premier League is an absolutely horrendous standard at the moment. Many Scottish supporters and management said the players had to be playing at a high level. When Celtic stepped up a level they were found seriously wanting. Using their own logic we should be picking players who are playing consistently at a higher level.

James McArthur seems to get a seriously raw deal. Charlie Adam has been over looked on many occasions for players who couldn't lace his boots. It has always been the same. I can see Ryan Jack being picked for squads next season if Rangers get of to a flying start.

Charlie Adam before he moved next door to Greggs you mean. He is not the answer.

The standard in Scotland is not great but we need to pick the greatest from it. After all a good team spirit can get you far and that team has it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users