• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 17,877 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

He is not the best LB now, that mantle clearly belongs to wee Tierney but during our rise up the leagues he was by far Scotlands best option.
Too many pig headed people said he shouldnt be selected simply because it was Rangers......and no I dont mean you specifically.

Wallace and some others were international players the day before we were sent down.......then when we were in div 3 people said he should not be selected as he was a 3rd division player BUT he had not played 1 single game in the league yet !!
As I say simply because it was Rangers too many had their tut tut hats on.....instead of picking the countries best LB we opted to play a RB in his position who wasnt even playing. Big mistake.

He was caught out of position Gaffa but that was not down to the actual player but the system and instruction given to him.

All water under the bridge now but it was piss poor the ignorance. Various Rangers players were also ignored for international call ups last year even though they were better than every player in the championship......now I think it was right not to call them up as we did have better options in the midfield but once we get promotion Strachan then selects McGinn who is and was no where near the consistency and levels reached by Holt, Halliday, Mckay and Wallace last year !!!
As I said not saying they should have but how could they be ignored given the performance levels yet McGinn has been getting in and not half the player....and he was still in the division below.

Big part of the reason Strachan has strangled my passion for the national side at the moment.

As I said I dont believe Wallace to be Scotlands no1 LB ever (whether he went down leagues or not)

What other Rangers players are you talking about? (this could be quite funny)

#22 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

As I said I dont believe Wallace to be Scotlands no1 LB ever (whether he went down leagues or not)

The "others" were not Scottish but the fact Ian Black was handed a cap while playing for Rangers in the 3rd div shows its not the norm.....as in if he was playing for Brechin no way would he or others been called up.

Anyway fair play you dont think Wallace was ever a number 1 for the LB slot but some others have that opinion for the wrong reasons, it seems you have it for the right one.....you dont think he is the best.
I disagree, in the past I mean not right here and now. I still think he is best option if Tierney is injured mind you.

#23 Elchappy

Elchappy

bought the T shirt

• 6,466 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

Wallace was not as good defensively as Robertson who was playing top flight football at the time.

My point re the saw is valid 😁 There was no way Wallace could have been match sharp playing against part time players even if he was our best left back.

I would prefer other teams provided Scotland with more players. It helps our profile but mainly i dont want our players injured or unrested for Celtic games.

#24 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,758 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

Dean Shiels, Andy Little, Doran Goian, Carlos Bocanegra to name 4 of the top of my head.

Was Ian Black really capped when playing in the lower leagues?? I don't follow international football at all but thought i would have remembered that. Unbelievable if he was and i hope to God it was in a friendly. 

I do remember Kirk Broadfoot being capped and before he played the Scotland manager described him as being of limited ability. Talk about a confidence builder  :lol: . Also pretty sure Broadfoot scored

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#25 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,360 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

It was a friendly and if memory serves me correct it was his one and only cap.

@chappy, I would usually agree but at the end of the day its not like its a Brechin or Stirlinig Albion or whatever player it is a guy with a pedigree for the game at the top in our country as well as having international experience. Regardless of what league he may have been in it doesn't change the quality he has and if you say him playing in a lower standard does not help the national team then I cant see how a guy playing reserve or no football at all is better.

#26 pandamonk

pandamonk

Football Legend

• 3,522 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

He was for a short time when we were short of LBs before Robertson and Tierney. Remember the years of Steven Whittaker at left back or even Stephen Crainey?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users