• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:57 PM

I noticed Craig said on Twitter there would be no predictor this year,bit of a shame,i guess there won't be 200 members logged on at 5pm on saturdays now

Northern%20Ireland.gif

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#2 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Damn
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#3 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,972 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

I wonder what his plans for the forum plan are. Is this the start of shutting shop?

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#4 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Screenshot_2017-07-19-11-45-57-1.png

Northern%20Ireland.gif

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#5 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

I wonder what his plans for the forum plan are. Is this the start of shutting shop?

I would say you are not far of the mark.

If it was me, I would only do it if I enjoyed it..... not sure Craig does, posts less and less.....

With no Predictor, plug could be pulled at any time with no come back.

Be a shame, as I have enjoyed over the years, but interesting development.

#6 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hope it disnae come to that

#7 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hope it disnae come to that

Agree mate.....

#8 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

I wrote the predictor from scratch on my own years back. I wrote it as an add-on to the forum software, so had to learn how to use their API as well as learn how to write a predictor. To say it was stressful to launch is an understatement, because I was always worried that I let people down. Over the years it consistently worked, which proved the code was solid, so the stress lessened.

It was a constant manual task to keep the fixtures running and the scores in there, but I didn't mind, because I enjoyed taking part and enjoyed helping others enjoy it too.

The prize money came out of my pocket for the first few years, but luckily I had sponsors help me out latterly.

The forum is badly needing an update, but I cannot do that without breaking the predictor. If I update the forum, I need to rewrite the predictor. The forum provider doesn't supply documented APIs, so it would be like coding in the dark and I don't have the time for that, even if it were possible. I was just stuck.

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

I knew this was coming, but kidded myself on I could rewrite it. I estimated 30-40 hours coding, but I just couldn't commit that time without affecting my personal life.

#10 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

So, the predictor is not coming back, but the forum is not closing. I want to update it to the next version. A version that's been around for over a year, but I couldn't use it for aforementioned reasons. The current version is no longer supported and hasn't been for over a month. It needs updated soon. I've held off doing it, because people couldn't access last season's predictor scores, but I will do it in the next few weeks.

#11 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

So, the predictor is not coming back, but the forum is not closing. I want to update it to the next version. A version that's been around for over a year, but I couldn't use it for aforementioned reasons. The current version is no longer supported and hasn't been for over a month. It needs updated soon. I've held off doing it, because people couldn't access last season's predictor scores, but I will do it in the next few weeks.

Nice one..... glad to hear the forum isn't closing..... so is the wife,

She likes to see me occupied.

#12 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Regarding the future of the forum. It makes no money and hasn't done for a long time. I'm not talking profit, I mean that it makes nothing. I don't mind though, so it won't close for financial reasons.

I've never really known how long the forum would last, but I have no immediate plans to review things. I like the idea of football seasons and can see it continuing beyond next summer.

#13 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

And I never really said anything until now because I've felt shit that I had to make the decision. I just couldn't commit the time.

#14 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,435 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

A shame about the predictor, is there no way to copy a format already out there or try get some tech wizard, maybe someone at Uni/College that could give it a go ?

#15 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

We could make our own wee comp on the forum , and maybe it would attract more members

Let me put on my cap of think

#16 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,289 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

I would guess Gaffe could rumble something up...

Open to non posting members also.

#17 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

A shame about the predictor, is there no way to copy a format already out there or try get some tech wizard, maybe someone at Uni/College that could give it a go ?

I'm a developer by day, so technical able to code, but the forum doesn't have documented APIs, so it would be a very tough job.

#18 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

We could make our own wee comp on the forum , and maybe it would attract more members

Let me put on my cap of think

I did the fixtures and scores manually, but the points was all automatic. It would be too time consuming to do the points manually.

#19 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

I did the fixtures and scores manually, but the points was all automatic. It would be too time consuming to do the points manually.

Agree mate

#20 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• 39,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

1 x 2 on all 6 games

1 point for each correct prediction

Say we have 10 members doing it consistanly , each member entered has 2 weeks in a row of doing scores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users