• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 18,265 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

There are claims that transfer windows bring about a "fire sale mentality" and actually create the type of instability they were apparently intended to prevent.

Should there be a return to the old system?

Shit Creek

#2 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,969 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Good point......
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#3 Stuart Sutherland

Stuart Sutherland

Veteran

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

worse than what exactly?

#4 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,345 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Should be no transfer window IMO but football has changed and in particular the spending has dramatically changed.

Maybe this would stop the crazy prices we see that some teams spend ?

Have to laugh though when I see some of it and the small amounts that hqve always been spent by teams for players in Scotland.....was always said because of the standard etc.
Look at tgat lad signed for £40 million or so by Barca in the Chinese league....yup Chinese league. Surely the standard there is below Scotland or at least on a par

#5 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Should be no transfer window IMO but football has changed and in particular the spending has dramatically changed.

Have to laugh though when I see some of it and the small amounts that hqve always been spent by teams for players in Scotland.....was always said because of the standard etc.
Look at tgat lad signed for £40 million or so by Barca in the Chinese league....yup Chinese league. Surely the standard there is below Scotland or at least on a par

You watched any Chinese super league games Cam. 

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#6 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,345 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

You watched any Chinese super league games Cam.

Never a full game no, only snippets. It looked particularly sub standard with fleeting moments from the superstars sprinkled in the league.

#7 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,250 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

He's played in Spain and EPL

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#8 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,345 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

He's played in Spain and EPL

Yeah but he was signed while playing in China, have been other guys who have played in EPL etc and then Scotland but still not a decent fee......just strange that a massive fee for a guy playing in china.

If Ronaldo was in Scotland teams would be lucky to get £10 million for him

#9 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,250 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Transfer window's are a good thing,it means a team rely on their squad should anyone get injured instead of buying a straight replacement at any time

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#10 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Transfer window's are a good thing,it means a team rely on their squad should anyone get injured instead of buying a straight replacement at any time

Irrespective of whether I believe transfer windows are good or not....the one thing I'd like to see adopted is that the window close the day before a league begins thereby any club would 'have' to rely upon their squad without having the opportunity to buy and cover for an early injury to a player before the window closes at the end of August.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#11 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,250 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Irrespective of whether I believe transfer windows are good or not....the one thing I'd like to see adopted is that the window close the day before a league begins thereby any club would 'have' to rely upon their squad without having the opportunity to buy and cover for an early injury to a player before the window closes at the end of August.

Problem being some Euro leagues don't start til September so their window is still open to buy UK based players but UK clubs wouldn't be able to replace them

#12 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Problem being some Euro leagues don't start til September so their window is still open to buy UK based players but UK clubs wouldn't be able to replace them

Easily sorted imo Norn.....Once any particular league is started, NO players can be bought from any team in said league and they (any team in the league) cannot buy from any other club.

#13 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,250 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Easily sorted imo Norn.....Once any particular league is started, NO players can be bought from any team in said league and they (any team in the league) cannot buy from any other club.

The Nordic countries play through the summer do they not?...so their's have started

#14 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

The Nordic countries play through the summer do they not?...so their's have started

C & P from Wiki European seasons. I've not got the desire to try and work time spans out per Nordic country (& Ireland) as to how they'd get round my proposal....suffice to say they would have to buy or sell outwith their season and work it in with other leagues breaks. To paraphrase Bastion....Harsh perhaps but fair.....

Not being allowed to show the page from Wiki....too many images....sorry. But basically Norway, Sweden & Ireland are the only ones it would really affect.

Mind you, I may be right off kilter.

Edited by black dog, 30 August 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#15 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Can certainly see the sense in a transfer window but I would personally prefer to see a limit on the amount of players a club can have......so much talent is stagnated and wasted in England due to the money.
If they could only have a certain number at the club then it may allow these players to develop and also provide clubs in smaller nation the chance to get these guys currently outwith their grasp due to tje obvious difference in money and wages.

#16 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Can certainly see the sense in a transfer window but I would personally prefer to see a limit on the amount of players a club can have......so much talent is stagnated and wasted in England due to the money.
If they could only have a certain number at the club then it may allow these players to develop and also provide clubs in smaller nation the chance to get these guys currently outwith their grasp due to tje obvious difference in money and wages.

Serious question Cam.....can you answer any footballing question without mentioning 'England, inflated, wasted, smaller nation, difference in money' ? Question was about whether the windows make things worse? Only thing you missed here was Sky/sugar daddies. You seem to twist any question (when it suits) round to your viewpoint on the discrepancy on money.

Gonna be long, long season........

#17 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Especially for Norn the perv.......(couldn't find a current thread so apologies for using this one)...

Check out Natalie Sawyers on SS News at the moment....Ooooft! Semi time.....

#18 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

Arsenal and Liverpool have agreed a fee for the Ox to go to Merseyside (depends on personal terms). Chamberlaine declined a £35 mill move to Chelsea earlier. No wonder he was rarely in the game at Anfield last Sunday!

#19 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

Serious question Cam.....can you answer any footballing question without mentioning 'England, inflated, wasted, smaller nation, difference in money' ? Question was about whether the windows make things worse? Only thing you missed here was Sky/sugar daddies. You seem to twist any question (when it suits) round to your viewpoint on the discrepancy on money.

Gonna be long, long season........

I think its a fair way to look at things Dug, as you say lets forget the TV deal for now.
Do you not think it would be better for players and clubs if teams could actually nurture the talent i stead of it wasting away in reserves or what not.

I use the English teams as an example as they have so many on their books. Lets look at Chelsea.
Now they are a top team and look to spend top dollar on the first team, so they should too as they have the resources to improve each year.
They buy for the first team which is fine but they also buy a lot of specualtion and potential. These guys tend to go in the reserves and some are fortunate to seal loan moves.....the majority however stagnate in the reserves.

Do you not think it would be better and healthier for the game if there was a limit on the number of players a team can have ?
A lot of the players are pretty good but would struggle to get into the heavyweight teams down south like Chelsea, Utd, City etc due to the exceptional pool of first team players they have but still represent these teams with little or no hope of making the team.......surely it would be better if other teams could have a lot of that talent and nurture it in a competitive environment. If they impress and kick on then I'm sure they will establish themselves and get that move with the realistic chance of actually playing for these big clubs in the EPL.

Seems like a win win situation for me, right now no one is really benefitting.

#20 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,499 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

I think its a fair way to look at things Dug, as you say lets forget the TV deal for now.
Do you not think it would be better for players and clubs if teams could actually nurture the talent i stead of it wasting away in reserves or what not.

I use the English teams as an example as they have so many on their books. Lets look at Chelsea.
Now they are a top team and look to spend top dollar on the first team, so they should too as they have the resources to improve each year.
They buy for the first team which is fine but they also buy a lot of specualtion and potential. These guys tend to go in the reserves and some are fortunate to seal loan moves.....the majority however stagnate in the reserves.

Do you not think it would be better and healthier for the game if there was a limit on the number of players a team can have ?
A lot of the players are pretty good but would struggle to get into the heavyweight teams down south like Chelsea, Utd, City etc due to the exceptional pool of first team players they have but still represent these teams with little or no hope of making the team.......surely it would be better if other teams could have a lot of that talent and nurture it in a competitive environment. If they impress and kick on then I'm sure they will establish themselves and get that move with the realistic chance of actually playing for these big clubs in the EPL.

Seems like a win win situation for me, right now no one is really benefitting.

Of course it would be better for teams and the individuals if the teams could nurture the talent for whatever period of time it may take. I have never ever said that it would not be. However I have also said that scenarios such as that are down to the individuals (& however good or bad they are being advised by whichever representative) to make the choice. The choice being imo....Do I stay here and have a better chance of developing into a first team player for £1K per week......or do I move to a 'bigger' club who are offering me £10K per week but realistically I have less chance of breaking through to a first team spot ? These individual players who opt for the 2nd route cannot be absolved from any blame if their career does not arrive at the level they would have hoped for. It all depends on whether the individual player is more interested in the possibility of being a regular starter at a 'lesser' club or, as you say, waste away in a reserve side but earning more money.

(On a side note as a small financial personal example.....many years ago I had a job in the operations office with a haulage firm and my salary was X amount. My boss and his underling moved to a rival firm and wanted me to join them and my salary was going to rise by 50%....yep, 50%. I was still learning the job but I chose to move for the money. Big mistake but MY mistake....I knew I was going nowhere in this new job so I returned (thankfully they took me) to my old job after 2 or 3 months & on my old salary).

Your comment about limiting the number of players per club is quite complex I'd imagine and dependent on the breakdown of level structure within each club....ie 1st team squad, under 20's, youths etc but is something that could be looked at & I'm not dismissing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users