Photo

Is this relevant of the state of Scottish football?

40 replies to this topic

#21 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 18,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Norn you and other have also said this previously and is a MILLION MILES away from the Sky scenario.

Rangers have ALWAYS paid more than other teams....why because they have hindreds of thousands of fans compared to a few thousand Thistle suppirters or whatever.

Anyway regardless what Rangers spend or have spent in the past are you telling me by Rangers spending £4 million on players has had a catastrophic effect on teams in England, Spain and anywhere else and theor ability to spend and compete with Rangers ?

The answer is No so really there is no relevance........EVERY team in the EPL can now buy whoever, whenever. Teams like Bournemouth, Bournemouth spending tens of millions on a player.....now can you tell me how a WHOLE league and theor spending is in anywhere similar to Rangers being able to outspend Dundee, Ross County and 99% of other teams in Scotland.
You cant because it is a seperate argument and totally, totally different to the scenario the EPL is currently in.....it wasnt always like that.

Still waiting for your answer to my question

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#22 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,252 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Sorry Norn I didn't see the question.

Ofcourse I wouldn't boycott Rangers games, why would I ? Supported them since I could speak. Naturally I would be delighted if a "sugar daddy" or something else allowed us to spend the crazy money we see down south, prior to Sky we were pretty much in that situation and could easily match wages down south in the 9iar era ( not how the club got into trouble btw, was we Advocaats crazy spending )

Would be great I cant lie but my gripe is not really about how much a particular team can spend, before sky and since the start of football the bigger teams have always been able to spend more. More fans means more money, more money means being able to offer higher wages and so on. Common sense.

What we are seeing now is a WHOLE league being able to spend silly money not only on wages but on transfer fees. What was Bournemouth's highest transfer fee or wages prior to Sky ( and I say them as that is where this all began )

At the end of the day I have always said the same thing, English football is only in the position it finds itself now due to Sky and the billions it has given the league. More exposure equals more revenue and allows them to buy better players yet again due to more money and then it goes up again due to better players and then more money and more exposure. Great for that league and yeah it is impressive how much it has snowballed in 20 years but that is only down to TV money..................whether that is for better or worse is down to individuals opinion but how they are in the position is not, all Sky.

#23 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,419 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Sorry Norn I didn't see the question.

Ofcourse I wouldn't boycott Rangers games, why would I ? Supported them since I could speak. Naturally I would be delighted if a "sugar daddy" or something else allowed us to spend the crazy money we see down south, prior to Sky we were pretty much in that situation and could easily match wages down south in the 9iar era ( not how the club got into trouble btw, was we Advocaats crazy spending )

Would be great I cant lie but my gripe is not really about how much a particular team can spend, before sky and since the start of football the bigger teams have always been able to spend more. More fans means more money, more money means being able to offer higher wages and so on. Common sense.

What we are seeing now is a WHOLE league being able to spend silly money not only on wages but on transfer fees. What was Bournemouth's highest transfer fee or wages prior to Sky ( and I say them as that is where this all began )

At the end of the day I have always said the same thing, English football is only in the position it finds itself now due to Sky and the billions it has given the league. More exposure equals more revenue and allows them to buy better players yet again due to more money and then it goes up again due to better players and then more money and more exposure. Great for that league and yeah it is impressive how much it has snowballed in 20 years but that is only down to TV money..................whether that is for better or worse is down to individuals opinion but how they are in the position is not, all Sky.

So you'd be quite happy if a rich 'sugar daddy' came to Rangers and allowed them to spend crazy money but you constantly criticise Sky for putting money into football (along with others) which allows clubs to spend crazy money ? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds Cam!

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#24 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,252 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

So you'd be quite happy if a rich 'sugar daddy' came to Rangers and allowed them to spend crazy money but you constantly criticise Sky for putting money into football (along with others) which allows clubs to spend crazy money ? Your hypocrisy knows no bounds Cam!

Yeah but at least I would be able to aknowledge why that was the case, woukdnt be great for the game or the club but I wouldnt be in denial about it dug.

Anyway its still not a relevant point as Rangers are only 1 club, the problem here is the entire league m8 so its totally different.

#25 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,419 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

Yeah but at least I would be able to aknowledge why that was the case, woukdnt be great for the game or the club but I wouldnt be in denial about it dug.

Anyway its still not a relevant point as Rangers are only 1 club, the problem here is the entire league m8 so its totally different.

Again....please point out where I am in denial mate!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#26 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Pure hypocrisy :lol:...reminds me of a guy I used to work with,he complained to HR because most people were on flexitime and could never be late and he wasn't,gurned everyday until he got on it himself then he was happy as a pig in shite

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#27 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,616 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

Dug makes a silly attempt at sarcasm but of course it is Sky's fault( and now other TV companies )......are you actually that ignorant that you refuse to accept TV money is the ONLY reason the transfer fees are so high ?
I mean wtf are you on to deny that time and time again.
We are now at a stage where big teams in Europe now have sugar daddys to try and tip the balance. Money is a big problem in the game and makes it impossible to improve the game in countries not so well off.
Of course you will deny that naturally for whaever reason, I know you are a fan boy of the EPL and tbh whats not to like, its a fanastic standard of player you see in there BUT at what cost ?

But you will still take a sugar daddy ya hypocrite :lol:

#28 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,419 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

But you will still take a sugar daddy ya hypocrite :lol:

Cam should take note....

Digging-Hole001-2b3x5mi.jpg

#29 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

So according to Cam (if i understand his way of thinking) if a drunken Scottish professional footballer is rescued out of a river in Glasgow at 02h30 on a Sunday morning it's all the fault of Sky TV.

Come on Cam, you can do better than that....

#30 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Yesterdays top stories:
European football, Barcelona pay £135.5million for Dembele.
English football, players being bought and sold for £millions.
Scottish football, Aberdeen player rescued from river after an apparent drunken night out in Glasgow.

What an embarrassment our game is going through.

At least Scottish football has a sense of reality.

#31 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

At least Scottish football has a sense of reality.

Sad but true our football reflects on our society, spiraling downhill and sinking into the depths of oblivion...

#32 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,252 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

So according to Cam (if i understand his way of thinking) if a drunken Scottish professional footballer is rescued out of a river in Glasgow at 02h30 on a Sunday morning it's all the fault of Sky TV.
Come on Cam, you can do better than that....

Eh no.

As for being hypocritical, you are speaking hypothetically so again its not relevant.

This is about what IS happening

#33 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Eh no.

As for being hypocritical, you are speaking hypothetically so again its not relevant.

This is about what IS happening

Am not taking the pish Cam but could you please explain what your trying to get over ?

I didn't use the words hypocritical or hypothetical, i simply asked if a drunken Scottish professional being dragged out of a river was relevant to the state of our game.

#34 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,252 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Think you have taken what I said literally.

Dug said earlier "must be Sky's" fault. Which was an obvious dig at me as I highlight the difference in money to which he takes offence and goes in a huff....was him that brought it into the thread not me.

I said it is Sky's fault......not the actual lad falling in the river but a mkre general sense of problems effecting our game. Which I think dug and others reaslised.

It was Dug and Norn I think who said I was being a hypocrite......can only be a hypocrite if its something that is actually happening....in other words Rangers dont have a sugar daddy so no relevance. In any case I may enjoy but I would also be able to recognise the problems with it and not be in denial.

Edited by Camshy, 30 August 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#35 sployal

sployal

Veteran

• 1,303 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Think you have taken what I said literally.

Dug said earlier "must be Sky's" fault. Which was an obvious dig at me as I highlight the difference in money to which he takes offence and goes in a huff....was him that brought it into the thread not me.

I said it is Sky's fault......not the actual lad falling in the river but a mkre general sense of problems effecting our game. Which I think dug and others reaslised.

Just out of curiosity Cam, do you watch any EPL games either on the telly or streamed?

Or have you cast a blanket with football outwith Scotland?

#36 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,252 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

Just out of curiosity Cam, do you watch any EPL games either on the telly or streamed?
Or have you cast a blanket with football outwith Scotland?

I used to watch and LB asked the same question but I dont see the relevance.

I mean I watch programmes about serial killers it doesnt mean I want to be one.
I think war and all it involves is a rather bad thing for mankind but I still watch documentaries on it......I dont see the relevance of it.

Anyway no I dont watch the EPL, occasionally I will see a goal or 2 and last week I actually watched a full half of the Utd game.

My main interest is now firmly in Scotland, the quality in the EPL.is brilliant however.....think I do myself a favour tbh by not watching it as it would only lead to more jealousy over the quality and money etc.

#37 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,983 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

I used to watch and LB asked the same question but I dont see the relevance.

I mean I watch programmes about serial killers it doesnt mean I want to be one.
I think war and all it involves is a rather bad thing for mankind but I still watch documentaries on it......I dont see the relevance of it.

Anyway no I dont watch the EPL, occasionally I will see a goal or 2 and last week I actually watched a full half of the Utd game.

My main interest is now firmly in Scotland, the quality in the EPL.is brilliant however.....think I do myself a favour tbh by not watching it as it would only lead to more jealousy over the quality and money etc.

I think it's plain that "big money" has had an adverse effect on the game in those countries with smaller leagues. It could also be argued that it has had a negative impact on the national teams of the home countries, including England, in that there is not the same quality of home based players as there has been in the past.

Whether it's all down to Sky or any other TV company is however debatable.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#38 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,419 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

It was Dug and Norn I think who said I was being a hypocrite......can only be a hypocrite if its something that is actually happening....in other words Rangers dont have a sugar daddy so no relevance. In any case I may enjoy but I would also be able to recognise the problems with it and not be in denial.

Not so mate....the fact that you said you would be thrilled for Rangers to have a 'sugar daddy' in order to spend crazy dosh on transfers but also, at the same time, being of the opinion that Sky's money is not to your liking (being responsible for the same activity) is in fact hypocritical.

If you're referring to me with the being 'in denial' comment (you did mention it previously) please point out posts I have made which back you up ? I did ask previously but you have failed to do so Cam.

#39 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,419 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Missed this part earlier. Take offence ? You seriously believe I take offence Cam ? You are waaaaaay off beam with that comment mate.................and goes in a huff ?...oh ffs.....WOW, your powers of perception require serious adjustment my man...... :lol: ..... I have in the past said that although I disagree with you on various aspects about 'you know who' I do respect your opinion. 

#40 dufunk

dufunk

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Would be an idea not to buy league one and championship duds and focus more on the Dutch, Belgium and eastern European leagues were wages aren't as crazy we cant compete with championship sides outside of old firm.  Even the second tier of La Liga or Seria B quality players to be had that could bring some continental style football to Scotland which may help when playing in Europe.  Either that our focus on our youth systems. 

Sky and BT are still selling us short that is the main issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users