So who next ?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Who will be the next manager ?

I really hope it is a British based manager, preferably Scottish with recent knowledge on the game in this country but obviously that is not essential...........look at Rodgers, he had little to no knowledge and look how he changed what was a poor Celtic team to an exceptional one with virtually the same guys.

I don't expect any new guy to come in and hit the ground running but it would be nice to see certain things addressed. Warburton instilled a nice brand of football for a time then failed to adapt when teams sat in, he also failed to sort the shambolic defence out. He was good with the press when not speaking about the English game or not realising he was actually at a club where winning is pretty much the only option.

Pedro, well I hated how he spoke with the press. He may be able to speak English but he misinterprets so much. The defence is far more solid under him but we lack width and good support for the lone striker under him.

The new man, well I want someone who can speak properly and have modesty, integrity and sporting to the opposition. Hope he can sort our a decent brand of attacking flair to the team and get a bit of width into the style.

Big job ahead and I really have no idea who it would be..........McInnes has to be in with a good shout. He would surely take the job in flash

#2 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Whoever comes in has a job on tbeir hands. First on the agenda is to inject some steel into this team. They are far too ightweight. How they are going to do that with what's available i have no idea.

Is Rossiter anywhere near fit? If he is get him in for Jack.

I have no doubt Murty will try and get them organised the question is will Pedro's imports put the effort in for him. We need training looked at as well. Last night we looked out of it in the last 10/15 minutes again.

As for who to bring in, no idea. All the names quoted don't excite me to be honest. Big Sam is a bit of a one trick pony but will give these players a boot up the arse. Eck had his day and has failed since he left us. Billy Davis, jist naw.

When are the world cup play offs? Can we wait to see if Northern Ireland qualify and go for O'Neil if they don't?

#3 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Who will be the next manager ?

I really hope it is a British based manager, preferably Scottish with recent knowledge on the game in this country but obviously that is not essential...........look at Rodgers, he had little to no knowledge and look how he changed what was a poor Celtic team to an exceptional one with virtually the same guys.

I don't expect any new guy to come in and hit the ground running but it would be nice to see certain things addressed. Warburton instilled a nice brand of football for a time then failed to adapt when teams sat in, he also failed to sort the shambolic defence out. He was good with the press when not speaking about the English game or not realising he was actually at a club where winning is pretty much the only option.

Pedro, well I hated how he spoke with the press. He may be able to speak English but he misinterprets so much. The defence is far more solid under him but we lack width and good support for the lone striker under him.

The new man, well I want someone who can speak properly and have modesty, integrity and sporting to the opposition. Hope he can sort our a decent brand of attacking flair to the team and get a bit of width into the style.

Big job ahead and I really have no idea who it would be..........McInnes has to be in with a good shout. He would surely take the job in flash

Would he though? His stock is high, he rejected Sunderland and Rangers seem to be a club that is stagnating. I don't think he would want to work for another Scottish club if he believes that if he hides his time a club down south will offer a more attractive offer.

#4 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

Would he though? His stock is high, he rejected Sunderland and Rangers seem to be a club that is stagnating. I don't think he would want to work for another Scottish club if he believes that if he hides his time a club down south will offer a more attractive offer.

Only he can answer that but managing a club like Rangers can only be good for his profile.
Lets face it things at Ibrox have been bad for a while, cant stay like that forever. In this country its swings and roundabouts.....right now the swing is out of reach and the roundabout is going a little to fast. He could be the man to slow it down.

#5 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,422 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

Only he can answer that but managing a club like Rangers can only be good for his profile.
Lets face it things at Ibrox have been bad for a while, cant stay like that forever. In this country its swings and roundabouts.....right now the swing is out of reach and the roundabout is going a little to fast. He could be the man to slow it down.

That's the biggest issue. He's not exactly a talented young manager anymore but a established manager with a good reputation. If he takes the Rangers job it could end any ambition he could have to manage in the premiership. Rangers are not even close to the club they were a decade ago. Not only is the transfer market inflated while their income hasn't kept up but their reputation has taken a hit in a way that Rangers fans don't seem to grasp.

We all know how poor the team is. There is only two or three players at the level that the Rangers support would expect of their team. The rest are made up of journey men and ageing players who's best days are long gone. It's a team that needs a lot of work and lot of money spent on it. I'm not sure if Rangers have the patience or resources for it.

Overall McInnis would be a good manager for Rangers but it's questionable if Rangers are a good fit for him.

#6 sinkster

sinkster

International

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

From a neutral point of view I'd say Rangers need McInnes; he's got the attitude to instil confidence regardless of results, which should give him time to build up a squad capable of competing for the Premier League.

From a personal point of view, Billy Davis or Barry Ferguson would be ideal... :twisted:

#7 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

McInnes would be my first choice but I agree that it's unlikely that he'd see the Rangers job as an attractive move at this point. He's at the stage that a lower level EPL team is going to come knocking at his door in the near future. If he succeeded at Rangers, which realistically isn't likely to happen the best he could hope for would be possibly a mid level EPL team, if he fails he's lost any chance he had to manage at that level. He'd be daft to take the job.

Big Sam plays shit football and is no doubt qualified to prevent our relegation but that's all he's capable of.

Billy Davis hasn't had a job for a few years for a good reason. Not a great choice and Eck's a non starter.

DeBoer would be in inspirational signing and after a couple of very short failures he might see Rangers as being high profile enough to consider but I doubt it.

Not confident but whoever they get it's got to be an improvement on Caixinha.

#8 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

Heard Davie Moyes name mentioned. Unlikely but I'd be happy with him.

#9 Makdee

Makdee

First Team Regular

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

This fella has thrown his hat in the ring supposedly
Michel Preud’homme, ex Belgian international

His CV
Won the league with Standard. Their first in 25 years.
08-10 - Finished second with Gent. Their highest ever finish. Also won the Cup (their 3rd ever trophy).
10-11 - Finished second with Twente. Won both domestic Cups.
11-13 - Won the Saudi league with Al-Shabab.
13-17 - Won 2 Cups, the league and 2 MOTY awards with Brugge. Also took them to the last 8 of the EL

#10 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

This fella has thrown his hat in the ring supposedly
Michel Preud’homme, ex Belgian international

His CV
Won the league with Standard. Their first in 25 years.
08-10 - Finished second with Gent. Their highest ever finish. Also won the Cup (their 3rd ever trophy).
10-11 - Finished second with Twente. Won both domestic Cups.
11-13 - Won the Saudi league with Al-Shabab.
13-17 - Won 2 Cups, the league and 2 MOTY awards with Brugge. Also took them to the last 8 of the EL

It's somebody like this we need but we also need a Walter Smith under Souness type character who knows the Scottish game. Neil McCann as assistant possibly and he's very popular with the support.

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#11 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,266 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Lots of words relative to the Manager but nothing about the Board and I think there could be an issue there.  Not that I am saying there is a problem in the Board but who has employed all of these Managers?  I couldn't agree more though, as a neutral, that this Rangers team is miles off the quality of a competing team.  That said Celtic were in this same hole in the mid 90's when their finest business was the Pannini Swap Shop.  There is no reason why Rangers cannot make a strong come back but this nonsense about needing to know Scottish Football inside and out.  A lot of that drivel is coming from Barry Ferguson who talks about spirit and loyalty but took a huff with PLG.

Surely if you're a good Manager you're good in any League?  Happy to be put in my place on this but sometimes I feel both Old Firm teams have too much of a sense of their own self importance.

#12 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Lots of words relative to the Manager but nothing about the Board and I think there could be an issue there.  Not that I am saying there is a problem in the Board but who has employed all of these Managers?  I couldn't agree more though, as a neutral, that this Rangers team is miles off the quality of a competing team.  That said Celtic were in this same hole in the mid 90's when their finest business was the Pannini Swap Shop.  There is no reason why Rangers cannot make a strong come back but this nonsense about needing to know Scottish Football inside and out.  A lot of that drivel is coming from Barry Ferguson who talks about spirit and loyalty but took a huff with PLG.

Surely if you're a good Manager you're good in any League?  Happy to be put in my place on this but sometimes I feel both Old Firm teams have too much of a sense of their own self importance.

Out of our three 'foreign' managers only wee Dick did the biz (had a look on Wkki & his win % was our best in the top league only....67.53 & I'm not including Willie Thornton's 2 wins from 2 games), Paul Le Guen & Pedro just weren't up to the nature of the Scottish game it would appear. I'm being totally selfish here but I want at this point a Scottish manager (I'd hate for the newcomer to be big Sam....nowt against him but he just doesn't do it for me) to get us back on the road again. I said before, Rangers, the team are no longer a big name in a footballing sense....It is the club who holds that mantle. I know Ferguson spouts a lot of drivel but I kinda agree with him on the Scottish angle (to start with and take it from there).

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#13 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,422 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

Out of our three 'foreign' managers only wee Dick did the biz (had a look on Wkki & his win % was our best in the top league only....67.53 & I'm not including Willie Thornton's 2 wins from 2 games), Paul Le Guen & Pedro just weren't up to the nature of the Scottish game it would appear. I'm being totally selfish here but I want at this point a Scottish manager (I'd hate for the newcomer to be big Sam....nowt against him but he just doesn't do it for me) to get us back on the road again. I said before, Rangers, the team are no longer a big name in a footballing sense....It is the club who holds that mantle. I know Ferguson spouts a lot of drivel but I kinda agree with him on the Scottish angle (to start with and take it from there).

Is there there actually a Scottish manager or someone that knows the Scottish game who is actually successful? Moyes? His last three jobs tells us otherwise.

Many mentioned McInnis but if you examine his record; has he really taken Aberdeen further than one would expect given the circumstances? I don't know to be honest, but Aberdeen haven't laid so much of a glove on Celtic.

Perhaps Rangers best bet is going foreign again.

#14 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Scottish manager I would want would be Moyes but he's been away from Scottish football for so long his knowledge of Scottish league football would be limited

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#15 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Is there there actually a Scottish manager or someone that knows the Scottish game who is actually successful? Moyes? His last three jobs tells us otherwise.

Many mentioned McInnis but if you examine his record; has he really taken Aberdeen further than one would expect given the circumstances? I don't know to be honest, but Aberdeen haven't laid so much of a glove on Celtic.

Perhaps Rangers best bet is going foreign again.

I wasn't actually considering Moyes but he could possibly do a job irrespective of since he left Everton. As I said Rangers, imo, have to get it right domestically first and foremost. McInnes had Aberdeen 2nd last season & they're 2nd at the moment and I would 'hope' that the circumstances at Rangers with the larger (hope I'm not being hasty in saying that) financial backing would assist. He's taken Abedeen to 3 cup finals and won one I believe. Although Celtic are the benchmark they're far in front of every other club so it's going to be a gradual progression for Rangers all going well. Personally I don't want the club at this present time to take a leap of faith in a foreign manager. I have nothing against foreign players whatsoever but I just feel that those Caixhina recruited have not been for the benefit of the club in a playing sense (perhaps Alves apart).....so far.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#16 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

McInnes team were pumped 3-0 by Motherwell

Not sure how long he's been there but Aberdeen have an average at best cup record and an absolutely abysmal European record

I believe McInnes was approached informally after Warburton and didn't impress the panel. I don't see what has changed since except Rangers would have to pay a million more

#17 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

I should have added in above post..

If they do go with McInnes then not bringing him in before has been a very expensive error!!!

#18 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

McInnes team were pumped 3-0 by Motherwell

Not sure how long he's been there but Aberdeen have an average at best cup record and an absolutely abysmal European record

I believe McInnes was approached informally after Warburton and didn't impress the panel. I don't see what has changed since except Rangers would have to pay a million more

that correct.....but for their next game on the Sunday he changed things around and won 0-1 at Fir Park. He's had them in 3 cup finals & won one. As for Europe....who outwith Celtic have a half decent European record ? 'You believe' ? Do you actually KNOW for a fact Trav otherwise it doesn't hold water mate. Who do you prefer and when you say who it is....give that persons recent record mate.

#19 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Money's no object appointment. Gio Van Bronkhurst

#20 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,577 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

I should have added in above post..

If they do go with McInnes then not bringing him in before has been a very expensive error!!!

seems to be par for the course with Rangers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users