105 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Don't shoot me ffs...

And I don't want this to degenerate into a Celtic v Rangers tit for tat....

If it does admin, then close it please, Craig or Cam....

Has Scottish football went to shit since Rangers were fucked out of the Premier league?

Not just the league but the National team?

From a country that has qualified for 8 World cups you are now shitter than us, you have an unbeaten team romping your domestic league who are the laughing stock of Europe.....

Can this be related to Rangers being hung out to dry and the competitiveness going out of the league.....

Be objective here please, in no way am I wanting the rights and wrongs of Rangers situation being discussed.....

#2 tonethebhoy

tonethebhoy

Hall Of Fame

• 1,765 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Don't shoot me ffs...

Has Scottish football went to shit since Rangers were fucked out of the Premier league?

From a country that has qualified for 8 World cups you are now shitter than us, you have an unbeaten team romping your domestic league who are the laughing stock of Europe.....

Can this be related to Rangers being hung out to dry and the competitiveness going out of the league.....

Be objective here please, in no way am I wanting the rights and wrongs of Rangers situation being discussed.....

Simple answer is No

Scotland havent qualified for a tournament since 1998 Rangers went into liquidation in 2012

#3 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Don't shoot me ffs...

Scotland were shit 5 years ago

Northern%20Ireland.gif

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#4 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

BTW.. I ask because my mate who was born in Kilmarnock had mentioned it to me in the pub tonight,
He ain't a Rangers fan either, he is a big Liberal though, so we often disagree.....
He reckons, the SPL are to blame for Scottish football.

#5 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:54 PM

Simple answer is No

Scotland havent qualified for a tournament since 1998 Rangers went into liquidation in 2012

That's what I said, wasn't sure when Rangers were dropped mind....

He said, the game as a whole has nosed dived since....

#6 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Scotland were shit 5 years ago

Was the SPL as shit 6 years back?

#7 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

That is the elephant in the room many Celtic fans choose to ignore or entirely deny.

Look at it this way. Prior to 2012 the clubs were just about level, quality wise and budget wise.
Sure Celtic had a decent bank balance but nothing that could not be met with shrewd business.

Since we were effectivelly kicked down to the bottom Celtic are the ONLY team to gain an advantage.

First of all they could field a team of relative dross, spending the absolute bare minimum as quite clearly there was no challenge despite what some Aberdeen fans think......I was very vocal about that specific point.

We all knew the league was won before it started, 4 or 5 titles cast iron gurranteed.
With that gave them 5 clear chances to gain entry to the CL, something they have managed more than once. Earning over 20 million each time, swelling that bank balance and creating a bigger gap than has ever existed between any clubs in Scotland.

There is no doubt the events of 2012 are the reason Celtic are in the position they are in right now.......I said a short while ago that no other Scottish team has ever had it so easy in the top flight in this country and its so true. Celtic fans dont like to hear that but its bang on the money and every way you look at it all the statistics back that up.

#8 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

Was the SPL as shit 6 years back?

I'll rephrase,,,,,Scotland have been shit for years,Gers getting demoted had no bearing on Scotland being shite as thdy were already fir years before that

Northern%20Ireland.gif

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#9 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

I'll rephrase,,,,,Scotland have been shit for years,Gers getting demoted had no bearing on Scotland being shite as thdy were already fir years before that

I agree with that, well I'll no argue against it,

But is a shit league good for Scotland?

#10 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

I must also add that the reason the national team is so poor is simply down to money......have covered this also.

Sorry to harp it back up but its no coincidence the national team has faltered and gone backwards since the injection of money to the game down south........this has resulted in players leaving when they were not ready, moved with the mammoth jump in wages even the smallest teams could offer.
This impacted the amount of talent we could nurture and develop. Most followed the money, naturally. Why wouldnt you ? They were not good enough for the English teams, some of them anyway, and failed to develop which results in poorer quality over all in Scotland whose pro teams could not hold onto and develop talent like the years gone by.

#11 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• 1,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

No and your pal is right the SPL is to blame. The Scottish game started to go to shit 40 years a go when self interest took over and they decided to have a 10 team league.

#12 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

I agree with that, well I'll no argue against it,
But is a shit league good for Scotland?

Put this into perspective,look at the Irish league and look where Norn Iron is

Northern%20Ireland.gif

#13 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

I must also add that the reason the national team is so poor is simply down to money......have covered this also.
Sorry to harp it back up but its no coincidence the national team has faltered and gone backwards since the injection of money to the game down south........this has resulted in players leaving when they were not ready, moved with the mammoth jump in wages even the smallest teams could offer.
This impacted the amount of talent we could nurture and develop. Most followed the money, naturally. Why wouldnt you ? They were not good enough for the English teams, some of them anyway, and failed to develop which results in poorer quality over all in Scotland whose pro teams could not hold onto and develop talent like the years gone by.

Different debate.....

Just want the Rangers, SPL and National team discussions

#14 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Put this into perspective,look at the Irish league and look where Norn Iron is

Aye, but we are on a purple patch, never last......

#15 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

No and your pal is right the SPL is to blame. The Scottish game started to go to shit 40 years a go when self interest took over and they decided to have a 10 team league.

Disagree Jiff,in those 40 yrs Scotland got to 5 World cups,a small Provincial team won the CWC in 83,the next year another small team were a whisker away from the European cup final and that same small team reached the UEFA cup final in 87,Scottish football was a strong league back in those years

And those stats are from my head and not google

Northern%20Ireland.gif

#16 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Aye, but we are on a purple patch, never last......

Defeats your argument tho

Northern%20Ireland.gif

#17 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:16 PM

National team is not poorer due to Rangers being out the league, no not in my opinion.

The league itself however is absolutely unquestionably poorer since 2012, that was down simply to events that year and the gap looks like stretching a little bit more IMO.

If Rangers can not stop Celtic getting financially stronger the league in this country is in for a very bleak future......not because they are winning but after time, lets say Celtic go 15 in a row league titles. You would imagine a number of 10s of millions coming ito thr club again. The rest getting weaker, eventually the interest will be way down, even in Scotland.

People turn their eyes to a league with, well more money and success. Look at you guys for example, support a team from England. People in other countries now also follow more lucrative and competitve leagues........thats the way the game in Scotland is heading IMO.

#18 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 19,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

National team is not poorer due to Rangers being out the league, no not in my opinion.
The league itself however is absolutely unquestionably poorer since 2012, that was down simply to events that year and the gap looks like stretching a little bit more IMO.
If Rangers can not stop Celtic getting financially stronger the league in this country is in for a very bleak future......not because they are winning but after time, lets say Celtic go 15 in a row league titles. You would imagine a number of 10s of millions coming ito thr club again. The rest getting weaker, eventually the interest will be way down, even in Scotland.
People turn their eyes to a league with, well more money and success. Look at you guys for example, support a team from England. People in other countries now also follow more lucrative and competitve leagues........thats the way the game in Scotland is heading IMO.

As said before Cam,i've supported Utd since mid 70's,went over to watch them in the 80's when they were shit,won 2 pots the whole decade......but still fantastic times that i won't forget

Northern%20Ireland.gif

#19 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

As said before Cam,i've supported Utd since mid 70's,went over to watch them in the 80's when they were shit,won 2 pots the whole decade......but still fantastic times that i won't forget

Hey Im not having a go Norn, just pointing out the domestic league in NI is not so well known or cash rich.......this results in people supporting teams elsewhere eg yourself and LB.

Our game still has a large percentage who support their own but for how long ?
As the money goes out the game so too does the razzamatazz and the intrigue and romance, 1 team league can result in a welsh league or some other obscure league.....i mean from a supporters perspective.

We still get 50000 despute a shite league, 10 year down the line will that be the case if it continues in this way, that is my point.

You follow me ?

Sorry meant to add, if a team in NI were signing the worlds best and a history of winning European trophies its rather unlikely Irish folk would support a team elsewhere

Edited by Camshy, 22 November 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#20 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 33,285 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

Defeats your argument tho

How and what argument?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users