Has the corner been turned......?

42 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 33,285 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Have Rangers went from league whatever .....

To second best in Scotland within a few short years?

Ok, bit early with that prediction, but back to back wins over Aberdeen shows intent.....

#2 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 6,017 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

The team just need to find consistency

This team have improved in every area except for wide left and even at that Windass has come on to a game

According to the board there was a problem between Pedro and senior players at the club. Read into that what you will but obviously if the whole team are not giving 100% then you're not getting consistent performances

As I pointed out on the match thread if the SFA appointed referees had officiated games fairly then Rangers would be top of the league 😉🇬🇧😉

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#3 endersgame

endersgame

Veteran

• 1,444 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

You do realise you were beaten by Dundee, Patrick Thistle and have yet to win three games in a row.

In any case you will play Celtic at Parkhead in a few weeks and neither team will be distracted with Europe and will be well up for it.

#4 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:56 PM

Failed to win 3 games in a row yet we are above Aberdeen.

Football works in weird ways, sure beat from those teams but rest assured we are a better team than thistle and Dundee.

I always felt we were a better team than Aberdeen, even last season. Sure people will point to them finishing above us but there were a multitude of problems last season.......before those problems and change of manager we were ahead of the Dons, fast forward a few weeks and disaster.
Difference was circumstance and stability. If we had a decent man in charge we would have finished ahead of them.

As it stands just now I feel nothing has changed, stability still an issue but we appear more steady. Also a better set of players at our disposal than Aberdeen.

Win lose or draw our game against Celtic will make no difference in determining if we are better than Aberdeen.....its purely opinion no matter position.

#5 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

Meant to add, have we turned a corner ?
I'm not so sure.

#6 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• 1,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

No definitely not. Once they put a run of wins together then maybe you can say that we have become the second best side in Scotland but there is no use beating Aberdeen home and away then losing to the likes of Motherwell or St Johnstone.

Imo under Pedro our dressing room was split. There wasn't harmony between the established players and the foreign players Pedro brought in. I think Murty has been able to address that a little but it is a fragile peace which makes for a fragile team. The saga that a search for a manager has become hasn't helped and right now i am of the opinion that they should just continue with Murty until the end of the season and our new director of football should be looking to strengthen our squad come January because we have very little in reserve. 1 million quid to buy out McInnis seems like a waste of money to me. Especially if we are then going to give him a 3 year contract.

So far too soon to say we have finally turned the corner but beating those cunts home and away certainly feels good.

#7 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,304 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Failed to win 3 games in a row yet we are above Aberdeen.

Football works in weird ways, sure beat from those teams but rest assured we are a better team than thistle and Dundee.

I always felt we were a better team than Aberdeen, even last season. Sure people will point to them finishing above us but there were a multitude of problems last season.......before those problems and change of manager we were ahead of the Dons, fast forward a few weeks and disaster.
Difference was circumstance and stability. If we had a decent man in charge we would have finished ahead of them.

As it stands just now I feel nothing has changed, stability still an issue but we appear more steady. Also a better set of players at our disposal than Aberdeen.

Win lose or draw our game against Celtic will make no difference in determining if we are better than Aberdeen.....its purely opinion no matter position.

Can you legitimately point to problems out with the football arena because every team has them?

Were you shedding a tear for St.Mirren and teams like them when they languished in the First Division in the 90's because they had to build a stand on Caledonia Road that was never full?  Did you lose sleep as Steward Gilmour cut back and let us watch a multitude of nearly men try to manage us?

Assuming the answer is no then why should any of Rangers' issues be of any interest, particularly to Aberdeen?

The Dons were the better team last season, they finished above Rangers and that is the normal measure of success or failure.

To answer Bastion's question though, there have been a lot of false dawns and consistency is the key so there is a long way to go.  Excuses are only used when things are going bad.  Murty is a hero now, he was a villain last weekend.

#8 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• 1,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Can you legitimately point to problems out with the football arena because every team has them?

Were you shedding a tear for St.Mirren and teams like them when they languished in the First Division in the 90's because they had to build a stand on Caledonia Road that was never full? Did you lose sleep as Steward Gilmour cut back and let us watch a multitude of nearly men try to manage us?

Assuming the answer is no then why should any of Rangers' issues be of any interest, particularly to Aberdeen?

The Dons were the better team last season, they finished above Rangers and that is the normal measure of success or failure.

To answer Bastion's question though, there have been a lot of false dawns and consistency is the key so there is a long way to go. Excuses are only used when things are going bad. Murty is a hero now, he was a villain last weekend.

I know this wasn't aimed at me but i think I'll stick my neb in anyway.

I do remember Rangers taking pelters because we were terrible during the late 70s and early 80s. The fact that we were rebuilding our stadium at that time so money for players wasn't available made not a jot of difference. Especially from our friends from across the city who laughed heartily as they stood in their dilapidated stadium. They probably knew that the same rules that meant St Mirren had to build a stand they didn't need would be ignored to let them use Hampden whilst they built their new stadium. Ah the good old sporting integrity eh.

Murty has never been the villain mate. Yer havering there.

Edited by Jiffy, 04 December 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#9 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Were you shedding a tear for St.Mirren and teams like them when they languished in the First Division in the 90's because they had to build a stand on Caledonia Road that was never full?  Did you lose sleep as Steward Gilmour cut back and let us watch a multitude of nearly men try to manage us?

I didnt say it was any issue to Aberdeen just pointing out the mountain of issues that effected the clubs ability to beat teams they should.......change of manager half way in the season is huge, even more so at clubs such as Rangers. That goes without saying.

Usually the better team wins and regardless what happens this season I feel we are a better team than them....you may disagree, thats down to you

#10 Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle

Football Legend

• 6,017 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

Managed by nearly men? The last manager you had that won anything was sacked the following season as you were worried about finishing bottom 6 in the SPL. How did that work out for your club?  :lol:

Your club is now bankrolled by one of Scotlands most notorious gangsters.

Your club would have been out of business if the local council had not stepped in and helped push through a dodgy deal with Tesco. How is that supermarket on Albion Street/ Love Street doing?  :rolleyes:

The local council also helped fund your clubs training complex at Bathgo Avenue.

Your club decided to sell extra tickets to away fans to help bring in much needed money to your club and what did your fans do? Threatened to boycott the club and some have refused to buy season tickets since then!! Here's a thought. Sell your own stadium out yourself then you wouldn't have to live off other clubs

wheresoeverwhensoever and howsoever we are called upon to make our exit. We shall do so as free men.

#11 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

I didnt say it was any issue to Aberdeen just pointing out the mountain of issues that effected the clubs ability to beat teams they should.......change of manager half way in the season is huge, even more so at clubs such as Rangers. That goes without saying.

Usually the better team wins and regardless what happens this season I feel we are a better team than them....you may disagree, thats down to you

we had this argument last season Cam. How the fuck can you say (& I'm pre-empting you here) if Aberdeen (or whoever) finish above Rangers in the League that Rangers are a better team than that team ? The league positions are decided on who has played best over a season.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#12 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

we had this argument last season Cam. How the fuck can you say (& I'm pre-empting you here) if Aberdeen (or whoever) finish above Rangers in the League that Rangers are a better team than that team ? The league positions are decided on who has played best over a season.

You would remember my train of thought from the last time Dug.

Best example I could give you as to why that is not quite that black and white.

Few seasons ago Chelsea won the league, the very next season Jose lost the plot and dressing room. Chelsea, unarguably among the top 3 in the league ( season later they won it again with 95% same players ) yet found themselves close to relegation.

Everton etc were above them, sure they ( everton ) played better that season as did others but quite clearly they and the others were not a better team than Chelsea

I believe the same with Rangers

#13 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,304 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Managed by nearly men? The last manager you had that won anything was sacked the following season as you were worried about finishing bottom 6 in the SPL. How did that work out for your club?  :lol:

Your club is now bankrolled by one of Scotlands most notorious gangsters.

Your club would have been out of business if the local council had not stepped in and helped push through a dodgy deal with Tesco. How is that supermarket on Albion Street/ Love Street doing?  :rolleyes:

The local council also helped fund your clubs training complex at Bathgo Avenue.

Your club decided to sell extra tickets to away fans to help bring in much needed money to your club and what did your fans do? Threatened to boycott the club and some have refused to buy season tickets since then!! Here's a thought. Sell your own stadium out yourself then you wouldn't have to live off other clubs

You've gone off topic. Bankrolled by Gangsters is a laughable comment given the characters at the helm of Rangers, a team that is a shadow of its former self.

We've gone in a great direction with fan ownership and your team's owners should take a look whilst it's squeezing you and others dry.

I didn't agree with the sacking of Danny but I support my team, you should try it.

#14 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• 1,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

You've gone off topic. Bankrolled by Gangsters is a laughable comment given the characters at the helm of Rangers, a team that is a shadow of its former self.

We've gone in a great direction with fan ownership and your team's owners should take a look whilst it's squeezing you and others dry.

I didn't agree with the sacking of Danny but I support my team, you should try it.

The second largest shareholder at Ibrox is club 1872, the fans. The own over 10% of the club.

#15 Hunterian

Hunterian

Veteran

• 1,304 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

The second largest shareholder at Ibrox is club 1872, the fans. The own over 10% of the club.

A whole 10%?!!

#16 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

You would remember my train of thought from the last time Dug.

Best example I could give you as to why that is not quite that black and white.

Few seasons ago Chelsea won the league, the very next season Jose lost the plot and dressing room. Chelsea, unarguably among the top 3 in the league ( season later they won it again with 95% same players ) yet found themselves close to relegation.

Everton etc were above them, sure they ( everton ) played better that season as did others but quite clearly they and the others were not a better team than Chelsea

I believe the same with Rangers

Your reasoning at times is simply laughable mate. If a team over a season is considered to be better than another team then why do they fail to finish above the poorer team ? The league is the ultimate aim. Any faffing about with this reason and that reason is utter nonsense....circumstances happen to most if not all teams mate, they have to get on with it. Only way Rangers will prove they are a better team than Aberdeen is if they finish above them in the league come May next year.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#17 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:11 PM

Dug could you offer me a reasoned debate about the Chelsea example specifically ?

I mean how can teams like Everton be a better team that them, a team who won the league either side of a season with virtually the same players in most of the teams who finished above them ?

I do agree that the MAJORITY if times the best teams finish higher but there are examples of that not being the case, Chelsea one being clear for me............I do agree with you in the most part just examples like that make me see it my way if you understand

#18 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,963 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:18 PM

Dug could you offer me a reasoned debate about the Chelsea example specifically ?

I mean how can teams like Everton be a better team that them, a team who won the league either side of a season with virtually the same players in most of the teams who finished above them ?

I do agree that the MAJORITY if times the best teams finish higher but there are examples of that not being the case, Chelsea one being clear for me............I do agree with you in the most part just examples like that make me see it my way if you understand

If ANY team finished above them at the end of a season then imo obviously they are the better team over a season. That my friend is my reasoned argument. You say that the majority of times my reasoning is correct....obviously not when it suits you.

#19 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,433 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

No just that season, cant see how a team such as Everton who last won the league god knows when can be a better team that one who wins it in season 1 and so happens to finish in whatever in season 2 and then win it again in season 3 all with basically the same players.

That does not make sense and is an example, whether you agree with me or not you can at least say sure I can see the logic instead of bat it right out the park.

You asked why I see it that way,  that is one example............doesn't mean that applies to the Rangers situation, different of course and I can accept that people see it differently from me. Just my opinion

#20 Jiffy

Jiffy

Veteran

• 1,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

A whole 10%?!!

Dave King or as you like to call him, our owner has 14%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users