Photo

Rangers wining the europa league or SPL ?

rangers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 andrewkerr

andrewkerr

International

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

Well done to Rangers for getting to the next round in the Europa League tonight Its a great result and good for scottish football.
With both swiss teams getting knocked out and Rangers going through it means two champions league spot's for scotland in the season 2013. With this being walters last season would Rangers fans rather win the Europa League than the SPL crown?

#2 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

They have far more chance of winning the league, and even then it's a pretty slim one. Too many better teams than Rangers left in it yet for any chance of reaching the final of the Europa.

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#3 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,435 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

The league for me , its our bread and butter.

#4 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

just got in from the pub. It's the league for me. I think we have a better chance of winning the league than we do of winning the europa league. the SPL also gives us entry into the Champions league which is the main money pot.

#5 helger98

helger98

Promising Youth Player

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

Eeek!!

Am I missing something here???

Good result tonight, seems to have erased the facts that Rangers have been beaten soundly and scraped a draw in the last 3 OF games.

Talking about winning 1 never mind the other is madness.

I could be wrong, however, Rangers may well be happy to win the League cup by the time the season is done.

#6 pandamonk

pandamonk

Football Legend

• 3,522 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

just got in from the pub. It's the league for me. I think we have a better chance of winning the league than we do of winning the europa league. the SPL also gives us entry into the Champions league which is the main money pot.

There will be 2 entry spots next year due to both Swiss teams being knocked out and Rangers going through. Does that change your mind?

#7 pandamonk

pandamonk

Football Legend

• 3,522 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Eeek!!

Good result tonight, seems to have erased the facts that Rangers have been beaten soundly and scraped a draw in the last 3 OF games.

I could be wrong, however, Rangers may well be happy to win the League cup by the time the season is done.

Rangers were lucky to scrape a draw tonight. True, the league cup might be all they can hope for.

#8 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Welcome to the forum Helger98, essentially it is hard to disagree with you, however football can be a funny old game to use a well worn cliche, how many times have you seen the underdog win in the past? It is however hard to see Rangers win the two big prizes this year but then again Liverpool won the champions league and who thought that would happen, yes I know they are not Rangers but that was a limited Liverpool side playing in Europe's premier competition and this is the Eufa cup and the spl

#9 Spud

Spud

Veteran

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

I watched the game tonight willing the Scottish representatives on, as I would do with any Scottish side bar K!!!!e ;) . The Celts are certainly the better of the two sides as we stand right now. Watching Rangers, even with 5 across the back they are still flakey. The rest of the team was better tonight if not exactly world beaters. That said, confidence is every thing and that morale booster tonight could be all it takes to spark their revival, coupled with bench seats for two or three team regulars :roll:

#10 Kling Klong

Kling Klong

The Token Cypriot

• 1,115 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:45 AM

There will be 2 entry spots next year due to both Swiss teams being knocked out and Rangers going through. Does that change your mind?

Does anyone know where the SPL champ will end up in the Champs League. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that an automatic bid into the group stages was not going to happen due to poor european campaigns of the best. I assume its the SPL Champ in the third round and the runner up in the second round?

UEFA does a bang up job of making it as confusing as possible for regular folk.

#11 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

Eeek!!

welcome to the forum helger. You are quite right about the last three OF, but the league is still very much up for grabs if you focus purely on points. Both teams have shown they can drop points, so i would still think the league was alive, even if there were no games in hand.

In terms of the champions league entry, i would much rather avoid the route celtic have had to endure over the last couple of season. I can see any team struggle with that unless we start our league earlier.

Winning the Europa League would be a moment in history which would be remembered for years, whereas a league will be forgotten(perhaps too strong a word, but hopefully you get my gist) in a years time, so i'm stuck in two minds. If i was forced to choose, then it would still be the league.

#12 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Not keen on the question because it implies we can't win both.

#13 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

thats the attitude Donald. Forget both, go for all four!

#14 Kling Klong

Kling Klong

The Token Cypriot

• 1,115 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Yeah it's really that simply. The attitude should be, we go out there and try to win every game.

Nevermind focusing on one or the other.

#15 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 70,972 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Eeek!!

And where do you hang your cloak of doom when you enter the hoose?

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#16 Guest_hayzaboy_*

Guest_hayzaboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

thats the attitude Donald. Forget both, go for all four!

Well done guys,support your team to the hilt,however neither seems the answer most likely to occur,I didnt watch last nights game but a well done to Rangers a gritty effort by all account,well done.

#17 Camshy

Camshy

World Class

• 7,435 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Well done guys,support your team to the hilt,however neither seems the answer most likely to occur,I didnt watch last nights game but a well done to Rangers a gritty effort by all account,well done.

Im stunned :o

#18 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Im stunned :o

i dont know if SFF have a thing similar to facebook where you get FRAPED....if there is, could this be the first time?

#19 andrewkerr

andrewkerr

International

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hi Donald I did not intened to implie Rangers can win both. I was asking if the fans had there chioce what would it be thats all.

#20 Donald

Donald

Veteran

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi Donald I did not intened to implie Rangers can win both. I was asking if the fans had there chioce what would it be thats all.

No worries Andrew I promise I'm not offended. I do understand though that as a Celtic fan the idea of winning more than one trophy a year is very strange to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rangers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users