• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

When someone posts a topic, I think it is natural for responses to take a slight deviation from the original topic, and that is fine, but it would be good if we tried not to take a topic in another direction altogether.

The last thing I want is to remove the random banter that goes on, because that is often the best bits, but if you feel that you are going down the route of another discussion altogether, then please start a new topic and then link to it from the original one.

I am reluctant to put a number on it, but if there are 4 or 5 off topic posts in a row, then that might be a time to start a new topic.

I have found that I have read some threads, with the intention of responding, but by the time I reach page 3, the discussion is on something else entirely and any response I make to the original topic is no longer relevant to the flow.

I welcome any comments you have and I am willing to explain further if you cannot see where I am coming from.

#2 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

In case there is any confusion, there is always room for random posts, I would just prefer that discussion stuck on the original topic

#3 Bundy

Bundy

G.G.M.U.

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

It can be quite difficult to keep track of Craig, as it's very easy to take threads off on another angle when making comparisons etc.
I agree it can spoil threads but often that isn't the intention

Screenshot%207_zpsld33ztyd.png

#4 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 70,972 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

It can be quite difficult to keep track of Craig, as it's very easy to take threads off on another angle when making comparisons etc.

Agree wi the Bundster...once the thread has 'went' off topic for a few posts it 'tends' to actually be forgotten about (the original title) and whatever the shit is continues.

tumblr_mkp6pdRTLW1qbxi45o8_500.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#5 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

I think its fine to do that, because for me that would still be on topic, but it's when it goes way off topic and stays there.

#6 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Agree wi the Bundster...once the thread has 'went' off topic for a few posts it 'tends' to actually be forgotten about (the original title) and whatever the shit is continues.

It's when the original topic is forgotten about completely, that is when I think it would be best to create a new topic for whatever way it has gone.

the last thing I want is to stifle banter, but I just think that the organisation (by me of course) of the forum could be improved

#7 johnarob

johnarob

Football Legend

• Members
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

taking threads "off topic" is not the issue really...of course it's natural for the topic to cause deviation but as long as it is in keeping with the jist of the original post....for me it's when the posts reach levels of having heehaw to do with the topic and more of a "slanging" match between members.....like you craig i've found myself reading what started as discussive topics only to find that a few pages in (in some cases a few posts in) they have wandered so far.

Craig, i'd suggest that as soon as you feel the need then just close a thread......not often fair on the original poster but better for the forum in general imo....these slanging matches are not banter

#8 JHR

JHR

Football Legend

• Members
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

taking threads "off topic" is not the issue really...of course it's natural for the topic to cause deviation but as long as it is in keeping with the jist of the original post....for me it's when the posts reach levels of having heehaw to do with the topic and more of a "slanging" match between members.....like you craig i've found myself reading what started as discussive topics only to find that a few pages in (in some cases a few posts in) they have wandered so far.

Craig, i'd suggest that as soon as you feel the need then just close a thread......not often fair on the original poster but better for the forum in general imo....these slanging matches are not banter

Agree 100%. John
Three threads locked in the last few weeks, never happened before.

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

I think you are right about closing them a little quicker.

I definitely want their to be scope to discuss things freely, deviate slightly, but I just don't want topics to go off on one with insults or whatever being dragged up from other threads.

#10 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

so do you think Andy Murray will win a Grand Slam next year :lol:

#11 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

so do you think Andy Murray will win a Grand Slam next year :lol:

I've got warnings on a shortcut for emergencies ctrl+w+a+r+n

#12 Geordieghirl88

Geordieghirl88

SFF Medical Expert

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Totally agree with that John, I hope it gets back to the banter that has been going on tonight has been a good Laugh.
Any fool can critisize, condem and complain, and most fools do...

#13 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think also it may be good sometimes to use search function just in case the topic you are starting is one that already exists. It is not always possible as sometimes I like to revive threads but forget what was in the title.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#14 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I think also it may be good sometimes to use search function just in case the topic you are starting is one that already exists. It is not always possible as sometimes I like to revive threads but forget what was in the title.

I am not sure it matters.....new threads even if they have been covered before keep the boards moving, as well as giving new members a chance to post on the subject.....I am sure there loads of old threads/subjects that I havn't read. Personally speaking I don't want to use the search engine every time I want to start an "off topic" or "not current sports topic" in case it has been covered before.

#15 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

I am not sure it matters.....new threads even if they have been covered before keep the boards moving, as well as giving new members a chance to post on the subject.....I am sure there loads of old threads/subjects that I havn't read. Personally speaking I don't want to use the search engine every time I want to start an "off topic" or "not current sports topic" in case it has been covered before.

I'm not saying it is something that should be done all the time but how many threads do we need about Rangers tax case for example?

#16 ?apester

?apester

Football Legend

• Members
  • 20,954 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm not saying it is something that should be done all the time but how many threads do we need about Rangers tax case for example?

Oh as many as possible .Well from some quarters anyway :roll:
Muhahahahaha

#17 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

yeah was there not two yesterday on Rangers suspending their shares with one word of difference on the threads?

#18 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Totally agree but that is a "current/ongoing" sports topic......I remember being pulled up for starting something like......"What are your favourite sports based movies" as there had already been a thread on the subject, that had been started months earlier.

#19 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

yeah was there not two yesterday on Rangers suspending their shares with one word of difference on the threads?

you should give me a shout and I could merge them

#20 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

There was. It is not a major problem but I think the forum can end up looking a bit messy if there are repetitive threads on the same topic. If people use the search function they would possibly find that a topic has already started. I think there are a few on Jordan Rhodes for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users