• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Totally agree but that is a "current/ongoing" sports topic......I remember being pulled up for starting something like......"What are your favourite sports based movies" as there had already been a thread on the subject,

I like keeping things tidy, because it makes the forum a lot easier to read, but I hate when I read a forum and someone patronises others by saying "use the search functionality". I would expect people to reuse an existing thread if they can see it or find it quickly, but I dont ever want someone spending 5-10 minutes hunting.

#22 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

There was. It is not a major problem but I think the forum can end up looking a bit messy if there are repetitive threads on the same topic. If people use the search function they would possibly find that a topic has already started. I think there are a few on Jordan Rhodes for example.

but if you give Craig a shout then I am sure he will merge them and the thread/topic will still be close to the top of the page so that new readers/members can post/join in ;-)

#23 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

I like keeping things tidy, because it makes the forum a lot easier to read, but I hate when I read a forum and someone patronises others by saying "use the search functionality". I would expect people to reuse an existing thread if they can see it or find it quickly, but I dont ever want someone spending 5-10 minutes hunting.

I did feel a little patronised to be honest and thought....."oh well I won't start a new thread in this section then"....

#24 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

I didn't mean to sound patronising. I'm just trying to give constructive feedback.

Follow @sffpodcast on Twitter and send the team a tweet

#25 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

I did feel a little patronised to be honest and thought....."oh well I won't start a new thread in this section then"....

and giving feedback as a newer member.......

#26 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

I didn't mean to sound patronising. I'm just trying to give constructive feedback.

I wasnt in any way saying that jaybee, or anyone here, was being patronising. I was referring to other forums where I have seen responses as simple as a link to the search functionality

#27 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

To clarify, I do think that the search is there if you suspect there may already be a thread on the topic you are about to create. But if you dont find it on first search, then I would create a new topic. I can always merge it if there is a recent one that I know of, or others alert me to.

#28 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I wasnt in any way saying that jaybee, or anyone here, was being patronising. I was referring to other forums where I have seen responses as simple as a link to the search functionality

No worries dude.

What is best way to let you know about topics that could maybe be merged?

#29 Guest_Goanjock_*

Guest_Goanjock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I wasn't either I was just pointing out how it can come across ;-)

#30 jaybee

jaybee

The Don

• Members
  • 30,370 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

I wasn't either I was just pointing out how it can come across

No worries Jock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users