What You Reading and How?

416 replies to this topic

#401 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 69,409 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:41 PM

Bought a couple of new ones today after just finishing Martina Cole's latest called 'Betrayal'..

New ones are Ian Rankin's Rebus called Rather be the Devil & the new Lee Childs Jack Reacher one. Keep me going for a wee while. Plus the wife got a new Lina La Plante one about the early days of Jane Tennison (of Prime Suspect).

tumblr_n3bgrvEUK91rerzc4o1_400.gif

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#402 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

The Rebus one was a great read, Tennison....so so but for some reason I couldn't get into the Reacher one, really struggled with the first 20-30 pages & gave up.....may go back to it but at the moment I recently bought Stuart MacBride's first Logan Macrae novel called Cold Granite and slowly getting through that one.....had it years ago but it has gone awol.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!

#403 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

The Rebus one was a great read, Tennison....so so but for some reason I couldn't get into the Reacher one, really struggled with the first 20-30 pages & gave up.....may go back to it but at the moment I recently bought Stuart MacBride's first Logan Macrae novel called Cold Granite and slowly getting through that one.....had it years ago but it has gone awol.

Title of the Reacher book?

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#404 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

Title of the Reacher book?

Night School Hairy

#405 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Night School Hairy

It is a bit different, but still a good read.

#406 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

It is a bit different, but still a good read.

Did you read the Rebus one Hairy? It's excellent. I love the relationships Rebus has with Christie & Cafferty.

#407 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Did you read the Rebus one Hairy? It's excellent. I love the relationships Rebus has with Christie & Cafferty.

Was unaware of it until I saw your post.

However I am now reading the ebook.

One thing I like about the Rebus stories is that I can match a number of the characters with people I once knew.

Edited by Hairy Scot, 01 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#408 Devon885

Devon885

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Currently, i am engaged in reading the 11 minutes novel. Its a very good one. I guess most of you have read this. Those who haven't,i'd suggest them to read it up.

#409 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

The weather is absolute shite today so I've spent most of the day reading a new book I had ordered and picked up at the weekend. It's called 'Playing the Grey Man' by Robert Moon (nom de plume). It's about a former SAS soldier who joins the Police. At the start there is the usual 'disclaimer' about locations, events being fictional and any similarity to actuality is purely coincidental (hahaha). I identified with the guy immediately with his anecdotes and his disillusionment and disgust with how the job changed over the years due to a change in priority of Police work and corruption within. Supposed progress isn't all that senior officers make it out to be, in fact in real terms it is no more than 'shop talk'! I'm about half way through at the moment and I can honestly say I've been in a lot of similar positions that he recounts and can relate to his life as a cop. A great read with a lot of humour.

#410 cmon norn iron

cmon norn iron

A living legend

• 18,614 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'm gonna sit down this week and read The strange death of Europe by Douglas Murray

GettyImages-539573328.jpg

British Champions......33 years and counting Manchester Utd........20 times and counting

#411 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

The weather is absolute shite today so I've spent most of the day reading a new book I had ordered and picked up at the weekend. It's called 'Playing the Grey Man' by Robert Moon (nom de plume). It's about a former SAS soldier who joins the Police. At the start there is the usual 'disclaimer' about locations, events being fictional and any similarity to actuality is purely coincidental (hahaha). I identified with the guy immediately with his anecdotes and his disillusionment and disgust with how the job changed over the years due to a change in priority of Police work and corruption within. Supposed progress isn't all that senior officers make it out to be, in fact in real terms it is no more than 'shop talk'! I'm about half way through at the moment and I can honestly say I've been in a lot of similar positions that he recounts and can relate to his life as a cop. A great read with a lot of humour.

A number of his anecdotes are eerily familiar.

Plagiarism?

#412 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Decided to reread my Ian Rankin collection.

#413 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

A number of his anecdotes are eerily familiar.

Plagiarism?

nah....I'd imagine most of your, then my generation doing that job will have been in his shoes on numerous incidents.

#414 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Finito. Great read (for me). Shows circumstances that the public never hear about. Policing nowadays isn't about serving the public (especially at senior officer level), it's more about, statistics (which as anybody knows can be manipulated to suit whatever is desired), arse covering and sucking up to politicians! The public ? They are nowt bar an inconvenience!

#415 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Finito. Great read (for me). Shows circumstances that the public never hear about. Policing nowadays isn't about serving the public (especially at senior officer level), it's more about, statistics (which as anybody knows can be manipulated to suit whatever is desired), arse covering and sucking up to politicians! The public ? They are nowt bar an inconvenience!

Yep. Ticking the boxes is the most important activity.

Mind you, there were signs of that mentality creeping in back in my time. Cops on the town centre beats were expected to do a "quota" of parkers per day.

A great sigh of relief was exhaled when the town council employed the yellow perils to handle that crap.

#416 black dog

black dog

Sooty is watching YOU!

• 69,409 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Starting a Lee Childs book of short stories re Jack Reacher. Still haven't went back to 'Night School'.

#417 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,982 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

A friend recommended this:-  https://en.wikipedia..._(Eggers_novel)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users