Photo

Opinion on advert placement

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Advert opinion (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about the new advert location?

1. Voted I like it. It can stay (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Don't like it. Get rid of it (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. I'm not fussed. It can stay (6 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I would like to hear your opinion on a new advert placement on the forum. The advert would appear stuck to the bottom of the screen and remain there as you scroll. You can click the X to close it, if it is in the way.

you will probably have seen a similar ad location used on other sites, with STV using it last season. I think Sky Sports use that location as an info bar.

During the trial it wont appear on the main front page, or within a thread, and will only be visible within pages like http://forums.scotti...uk/forum/3-spl/, http://forums.scotti...uk/forum/4-sfl/ and http://forums.scotti...m/6-off-topic/. Basically it will appear on the forum section pages.

Please let me know what you think, because although this would provide additional revenue for the site, I have to ensure that it is not too intrusive.

My gut feeling is that the pages it is on during the trial will be as far as it goes. I am not sure it would be suitable for individual threads, but I would like your opinion.

Here is an example of how it looks, but you are probably better clicking the links above to view a real world example.

advert.jpg

#2 Jock Tamson

Jock Tamson

International

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

i hate those bloody things. if it brings in revenue, then go for it, but they just make pages take longer to open and get in the bloody road.

and for god sake don't use stv as a yardstick as a website... it has to be the worst website in cyberspace...

like i f'n need an advert blasting out at me every time i click on a link to a story that didn't say "warning, this links to stv and it'll piss you off..."

i never, ever go to the stv website except by accident, for that very reason.

the advert bar thingy isn't so bad, but you do need to beware you don't start cluttering up too much real estate with adverts. not that you are just now... just that it seems to be happening all over the interwotsit.
Posted Image

#3 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

i hate those bloody things. if it brings in revenue, then go for it, but they just make pages take longer to open and get in the bloody road.

and for god sake don't use stv as a yardstick as a website... it has to be the worst website in cyberspace...

like i f'n need an advert blasting out at me every time i click on a link to a story that didn't say "warning, this links to stv and it'll piss you off..."

the advert bar thingy isn't so bad, but you do need to beware you don't start cluttering up too much real estate with adverts. not that you are just now... just that it seems to be happening all over the interwotsit.

I only used the STV site because I thought a few could relate to that.

I hate auto play audio adverts/videos and they will never appear on the forum.

#4 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

bump

#5 Hoopz

Hoopz

Happily Dappily

• Members (over 1000 posts)
  • 39,038 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

Keep it, its bringing dosh in, i hardly notice it noo, i only did because ut wasnt there before, so any newcomer wouldnt be put off by it IMO

Only makes noise when i hover over it, so i dont anymore.
Diehard Liberal , don't detest thon player detest thon game.

#6 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Keep it, its bringing dosh in, i hardly notice it noo, i only did because ut wasnt there before, so any newcomer wouldnt be put off by it IMO

Only makes noise when i hover over it, so i dont anymore.

nice one. thanks.

#7 JHR

JHR

Football Legend

• Members
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

That washing machine has been driving me nuts all week

#8 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

That washing machine has been driving me nuts all week

it should only play when you hover over it. Or do you continually hover over it by mistake.

I was really just looking for opinion on the advert that sticks to the bottom of the screen, like the Peugot one in the screenshot above.

#9 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for your votes so far

#10 Hairy Scot

Hairy Scot

There can be only one.

• 17,978 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for your votes so far

I must say that the ads don't bother me at all.

Drogon%20.gif?_subject_uid=33500869&raw=

#11 Gusmeister

Gusmeister

Football Legend

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

It's alright I feel. My hips drive my nuts :mrgreen:

#12 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

I now seem to get an annoying advert that appears half way down the page I'm reading, kinda gets in the way.

Anybody else get this?

Anything can be down to get ride of it? Craig?

#13 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

I now seem to get an annoying advert that appears half way down the page I'm reading, kinda gets in the way.

Anybody else get this?

This happens when I'm viewing on the iPad, it only started a few days ago but it can be a bit annoying.

When all’s said and done it’s only a game.

#14 Lord Bastion

Lord Bastion

Football Legend

• 32,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Hate it hate it hate it.....
Posted Image

For Gingers health and safety.......Please keep our mountain clear........

#15 thefootygaffa

thefootygaffa

Football Legend

• 17,877 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Aye, bit nippy!

Super Craigy boy will fix it I've no doubt...

#16 sheeptastic

sheeptastic

Football Legend

• Members
  • 19,658 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Agreed

#17 Psychoheart

Psychoheart

aka Krys on the SFF Podcast

• 6,474 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

This happens when I'm viewing on the iPad, it only started a few days ago but it can be a bit annoying.

Yeah, it's been annoying me the last few days as well.

#18 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Anybody else get this?

Aye, bit nippy!

Super Craigy boy will fix it I've no doubt...

Agreed

Yeah, it's been annoying me the last few days as well.

It annoys me too.

I will look into it.

#19 craig

craig

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 52,382 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have sent an email off regarding the floaty advert. I have asked them to remove it. I will give an update when I hear back.

#20 Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Bah Humbug!

• Members
  • 10,827 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Why the freaking hell do I keep getting do I keep getting an ad at the bottom of the page for fungal nail infection accompanied by a picture of the worst set of toenails imaginable. Every time I click on a topic this image is there to greet me, it's upset me that much I might need to have a small glass of wine to help me get over it.

When all’s said and done it’s only a game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users